AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th October, 2004, 03:35 AM
Member/Contributer

6800GT question

Well with my new plan, I wanna know what kind of heat the 6800GT/U's make in watts, or BTU's and I can convert it if need be.
Old 12th October, 2004, 04:17 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...powercons.html
Old 12th October, 2004, 06:44 AM
Member/Contributer

so what they are saying is that any video card with a power connector is drawing the kind of voltage and amperage to generate 100+W of heat? Now I know that the die doesn't necissarily dump out all of hte heat, but it certainly dumps the most.

I had a 5900 too and it had one. I've seen the pelt kit I'm getting on 5900's making ambient temperature. The pelt is rated for 80W. I understand a pelt begins to function abnormally when you begin using it to pump more than 50% of the rated value. Wouldn't this mean that the 80W pelt on a 5900 with the power connector be pumping ~10-20W out of its specified value? Anyone feel like correcting my understandings here?
Old 12th October, 2004, 03:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Actually, none of the cards they tested were putting out more than about 75w, although the potential exists to get up to 170w because of the extra connectors.

As for the rest, yes, if you put an 80w pelt on a 100w chip, the pelt won't be able to keep up. For optimal performance, you don't want a pelt pumping more than about 1/2 its rated heat load.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!