AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd November, 2004, 05:28 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Ati X850

january 2nd availability....
Attached Thumbnails
Ati X850-x850.jpg  
Old 22nd November, 2004, 11:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Do we have an MSRP yet? It's beautiful.
Old 23rd November, 2004, 12:09 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

16 Pipelines, 540MHz Core, 1180Mhz DDR3.

I trust that they included something other than a minor overclock? I sure hope so.

MRSP is about 499 USD

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2004, 12:12 AM
AOA Staff

Too many toys, so little time!
Old 23rd November, 2004, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
16 Pipelines, 540MHz Core, 1180Mhz DDR3.

I trust that they included something other than a minor overclock? I sure hope so.

MRSP is about 499 USD

Should have better pci-e utilization...standard higher scores in benchmarks. The final heatsink design should differ slightly, but not much. Rumors of SM 3.0.... bios tuning. Can anyone say R360?

EDIT: oh, and the fan's noisy as all %$#@!!!! 110nm architechture and not nessecarily a power connector.

More details soon. Ah ****e...here's the scoop...it's the new version of the x800...same layout almost in the gpu build, but the long-awaited dual-card connectivity form ATI is up and running....connectors are on the cards. seems that all we are waiting on is the chipset support....and why you've seen me post pics of a chipset that had a gddr square next to it....

Last edited by cadaveca; 23rd November, 2004 at 07:38 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2004, 07:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Will it only be PCI-E ??? or will there be an AGPx8?
Old 23rd November, 2004, 08:04 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

I highly doubt we will see any new AGP cards.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 23rd November, 2004, 09:58 PM

Oh okay.
Old 23rd November, 2004, 11:10 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

oh cool, so it sucks in cold air from the outside. kind of like a reverse vga silencer.
Old 23rd November, 2004, 11:29 PM
AOA Staff

there aint no cool air behind my rig, I gaurantee ya that.
Old 23rd November, 2004, 11:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Same here, Surly.
Old 24th November, 2004, 12:06 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The design looks like it expels air out the back via the second PCI slot. The impeller on the fan appears to be on the same level as the exhaust, and impellers push from the center out sideways.

Rather reminiscent of a certain nVidia design...
Old 24th November, 2004, 12:31 AM
AOA Staff

DOH!!
Old 24th November, 2004, 06:16 AM

Yes, it exits out the back. No word on agp versions yet....and the r420 should be on it's way out. Look for large price drops in existing cards just after christmas.
Old 24th November, 2004, 08:07 PM

NICE!, You buy a card and a couple of months later... bam, prices fall! might sell up n0ow and buy myself a new rig!
Old 24th November, 2004, 11:37 PM

the only sad thing about graphics cards are that some day theyll be too good for the human eye and any better graphics will look the same.
Old 24th November, 2004, 11:39 PM

almost looks liek its got a built in aritic silencer, but its all wierd shaped and has like 30 fan blades.
Old 24th November, 2004, 11:54 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegamer463
the only sad thing about graphics cards are that some day theyll be too good for the human eye and any better graphics will look the same.
The way graphics work right now does not match the way in which our eye sight and perception works.

In the real world when something moves fast we see a blur and our brain understands the information in this blur.

The film used in a movie at a cinema has a very low frame rate, but traditional film records movement as a blur. So, the action looks perfect to our brains even though the frame rate is very low.

In the future GPU's will be able to calculate bluring correctly and will produce smooth graphics at a low frame rate. Of course each frame will require a lot more maths than is needed using today's techniques.

You can see the difference if you take a screen shot from a game moving objects are static and well defined. If you pause a DVD moving objects are blurred.
Old 25th November, 2004, 12:35 AM
Member/Contributer

They won't ever reach a point where it's too good, not until they can match the human brain in terms of processing power any way, and do you think such an intelligent computer would be happy playing battlefield 2342 or what evers out at the time
Think of it in terms of how little processing audio requires in comparrison and they still havent reached the point where they could fool you into beleiving that a synthesised sound could be real

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th December, 2004, 01:14 PM

So, test cards are making thier rounds as you read this...but one thing is still missing from the equation.....

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njk3

Has thier review up, with this pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Ati X850-1101804884zaymnhregf_2_1_l.jpg