AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th November, 2004, 12:00 AM

why are they so low?!?

i have a 9600se and the core speed is 324 mhz and stock memory at a mere 196. for some reason other cards such as a 9800 pro only are 380 mhz, while its memory is 340 MHz. thats not much of a increase in core speed. so why is it that core speeds barely go up but memory speeds go zooming and doubleing in amount? just wondering and still angry about how i was ripped off on the price of my card...
Old 25th November, 2004, 12:27 AM
Member/Contributer

well the core of the 9800pro may only be 380mhz but it has 8 pixel pipelines compared with 4 on the 9600se and in modern games this really makes the differance, especially with games like doom3 which run optimally on 12+.
What cripples the 9600/9600se though is the 64bit memory bus, the 9800 pro has about 8X the memory bandwidth with it's 256bit bus

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th November, 2004, 12:32 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sounds like you overpaid... The 9600se is really a crippled card... the Core is good, but set to run too slow. The memory is REALLY crippled. First, they use slow memory, then it only runs 64bit... The point is, it is a budget card, made to sound good.

worst to best on the 9600 series:
SE, non-pro, Pro, XT.

pricing:
60 - 150, give or take a few bucks, and you get what you pay for. There is a huge performance difference between low and high end of the 9600 range.
Old 25th November, 2004, 10:34 PM

when i got it i didnt check out the internet, i just went straight to future shop to get one. i hate that place... im gonna overclock the crap out of it to make it good, but until i have more money ill need to use it.
Old 26th November, 2004, 01:00 AM
AOA Staff

ya, it sux when they do that, why can't they just sell 9000pro's or something
Old 26th November, 2004, 09:12 PM

thats what ATi should do. they should make a certain model of card a certian price and everyone has to sell it at that price. eg. X800s should be sold for say $399 USD and then british sellers just sell it for like 200 pounds or whatever it equals up to and so on and when a new card comes out ATi says lower the price $100 and everyone does that. its so simple, but then no gamers who kill themselves to find a good deal can.
Old 6th December, 2004, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegamer463
when i got it i didnt check out the internet, i just went straight to future shop to get one. i hate that place... im gonna overclock the crap out of it to make it good, but until i have more money ill need to use it.
You can't OC it to goodness. All of the SE's are pure unmitigated garbage. You should try to sell it on ebay and then pick up a 9500Pro/9600XT/9700NP/Pro.
eVga 6800 Ultra Extreme(BIOSflashed)
3dmark03-13,955 3dmark05-5880
2x160gb Seagate SATA II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!