AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th December, 2004, 04:53 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

SoundStorm issues

I'm a bit dazed, have trouble enabling 5.1 properly on my system...

NF7s v2
5.1 speakers.
WinXP.

I swapped speakers, and now that I am trying to enable 5.1 it doesn't want to work properly. First, the center channel and rear speakers were reversed, so I just reversed the connection.... black to orange, and orange to black. When I run the test, I get all 5 speakers to work.

However, in all programs, I have the control panel open, and there is nothing coming through (visually) in the center channel or sub. The sub is still booming, but the center channel is silent. This is in window media player, and Power DVD as well.

How can I get programs to send sound through the center channel??
Attached Thumbnails
SoundStorm issues-untitled2.jpg   SoundStorm issues-untitled3.jpg   SoundStorm issues-untitled.jpg  
Old 4th December, 2004, 05:28 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Is PowerDVD configured for 6 speaker sound?

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2004, 05:31 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
SoundStorm issues-clip0001.jpg  

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2004, 05:36 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I'm pretty sure it is, but I'll doublecheck.
I've updated all drivers, and while the control panel hase changed, the results haven't. I hate this new interface. I can't manually test 1 speaker at a time.

I'll doublecheck the powerDVD setting... Is there something in media player I should check as well?
Old 4th December, 2004, 05:43 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I take that back... PowerDVD is now working. However, aside from DVD, I can't find a sound setting in media player. No center channel sound.

Also, I noticed there is a subwoofer control in the sound control panel, but it does nothing... The subwoofer is actually getting its signal from the other channels and amplifying the bass.... On or off, the subwoofer still booms as long as there is an active other channel.
Old 4th December, 2004, 06:41 PM
AOA Staff

DVD's definately have the center channel sound information on the disk, so it would be very unusual to experience problems when playing a DVD movie. The true 5.1 dolby sound is there on the audio track.

Music CDs and games are a different matter. I often have trouble getting all channels on the go, but always manage to in the end.

Resolving audio problems can be complex.

My Audigy audio drivers/software are capable of simulating 5.1 sound from 2 channels for example. If I use a generic driver this won't happen.

When I've used onboard 5.1 sound I have always experienced more problems or short comings like those you mention.
Old 4th December, 2004, 06:56 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Thanks, I think I understand...
Maybe I am overestimating the capabilities of soundstorm... (That's what I get for believing the hype.) I can't complain too much tho... Still sounds pretty decent. I guess I have a hard time accepting that it's not so bad that the center speaker is sitting there doing nothing most of the time.
Old 4th December, 2004, 08:31 PM
Member/Contributer

I have to agree with SteveI. My NF7-S is connected to a Dolby Digital amp via the optical output. I had trouble with the centre channel as well. I'm using Mwarheads Remix drivers and everything sounds ok, but I still prefer the Stereo sound from a Creative SB Live connected to the same amp and speakers.

Also, when playing games I struggle to notice any environmental/positional sound effects, especially from the rear channels.

AOA Team fah
Old 4th December, 2004, 09:55 PM
AOA Staff

Remixing is never going to be as good as an original surround mix.

For good positional sound reproduction the speakers must be physically positioned correctly. The satelite speakers need to be at the same height as each other and the same distance from the center of your head. The rears need to be in line with or behind your ears.
Old 5th December, 2004, 01:12 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
I guess I have a hard time accepting that it's not so bad that the center speaker is sitting there doing nothing most of the time.
Tick that little box called "Create Center Channel" then! When I ran Soundstorm, I had "Center Channel 3D Pan" to help smooth panning out in games. As my satellite speakers were not full range speakers, I also enabled "Create LFE channel", and set the crossover frequency to something that best matched the speaker system I had. This redirects low frequencies that the satellites cannot produce, and pushes them towards the sub. It's also known as SSM (Small Speaker Mode) on some systems.
Old 5th December, 2004, 01:52 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Tick that little box called "Create Center Channel" then! When I ran Soundstorm, I had "Center Channel 3D Pan" to help smooth panning out in games. As my satellite speakers were not full range speakers, I also enabled "Create LFE channel", and set the crossover frequency to something that best matched the speaker system I had. This redirects low frequencies that the satellites cannot produce, and pushes them towards the sub. It's also known as SSM (Small Speaker Mode) on some systems.
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

EDIT: UHG!! With the new version of control panel, I can't find any way to turn the dang thing on!! My last ditch effort is to let the speakers artificially create a center channel... oh well.

Last edited by SteveI; 5th December, 2004 at 02:55 AM.
Old 17th December, 2004, 05:34 AM
Projector Wizard

Hi Guys
I tried the centre channel hack and its great!
A nice free way to make your system that bit louder for parties.

I noticed a small timing mismatch with the centre speaker/ front pair which some may find annoying. It sounded like a slight Phase Variance/Delay (too much Startrek!).
The Centre speaker is a little louder too and may need turning down from your movie playback settings.

The best sound I have found for stereo music is to clone to the rear speakers only. This way you dont lose stereo effects by having some effects moved to the centre speaker. My rear speakers arent the same as my front pair. This makes some sounds louder on the front and others louder on the rear. Sound moves around me really well. Extra spacial

ps
if you have large front/rear speakers and a separately powered sub, this may work for you too.
Turn off LFE redirection and connect the sub to the front channel(s) somehow. (careful if you connect to the amplified output, this is how mine is setup, the sub has special inputs for this method)
This lets the front channels produce some deep bass as well as the subwoofer, enhancing the Low Frequencies a little more without boominess.
The surround speakers handle surround bass effects which are lost if everything is redirected to the sub.
I have NOTHING connected to the LFE channel of my Amp and the sound is gorgeous.
X1800XT clocked to PE

Last edited by Chernobyl; 17th December, 2004 at 05:42 AM.
Old 17th December, 2004, 09:59 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Most computer speakers (and a lot of surround systems) only really operate in SSM (Small speaker mode). Bass frequencies are less directional than higher frequencies (that is, people find it harder to locate the direction), but on a halfway decent system, you shouldn't need to be sending frequencies above 80Hz to a sub anyhow!

On the other hand, DVDs should be encoded so that the low frequency effects (LFE) channel is actually *used* for LFE. There's an argument that the LFE channel should be able to send anything between 80Hz and DC. Certainly extending the response below 20Hz does make a noticable difference.

On the topic of phasing, I didn't want to touch on it as it's very difficult to analyse when you have any more than a couple of speakers! It is a valid concern, but I think it's something that can be addressed once people understand how to set up a basic surround system properly.

As far as upmixing stereo into multichannel goes, I've found that QSound's upmixing implementation is very good, and goes far beyond basic cloaning. Unfortunately, nVidia do not implement it! (Mind you, nor do Creative labs either)