AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th December, 2004, 01:36 AM
Member/Contributer

ATI RADEON 9100 IGP vs Geforce 2

would the ATI RADEON 9100 IGP outperform a geforce 2?
even though it's an integrated solution my gut tells me it would because it's more modern and features pixel shaders.
A friend of mine is upgrading his k7 600 slot a machine and I was thinking of going the cheapest route for him and getting a sempron, socket a board and memory but if the 9100 IGP would outperform his gf2 then I think he'd go for a celeron d and ATI 9100 IGP board instead
thanks

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th December, 2004, 02:29 PM

are you talking peformance of the graphics or just the board itself?
graphics wise the 9100 is supposed to be the most powerful graphics core out but features and performance not so good.the boards are positioned for the lower end market and does not compete with intels chipsets.
this time dont listen to your gut and set up a screamen amd system.that radeon/celeron wouldn't have a chance.
2-EVGA 7800 GT SLI(520/1200) / Opti V95 19" crt
audigy2 / klipsch v2-400
WD Raptor 74 gb , raid 0 , striping/16k blocks,seagate 200 gig 7200 rpm
Nec dvd-rw ND-3500 AG
OCZ GamerXstream 600 watt
Lian Li PC-V1000APLUS Silver Aluminum / VL System LIS 2 Blue Eye LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th December, 2004, 02:55 PM
Member/Contributer

I just mean directx graphic performance, the 9100 beats the 865g obviously but I need to know if it would outperform a geforce 2, although the gf2 doesn't have shaders it does have 4 pixel piplines
and a celeron d 320 would outperform a sempron 2200+ but it's more expensive. but if the 9100 igp will out perform the gf2 he already has then it will be worth the extra

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th December, 2004, 06:03 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
I just mean directx graphic performance, the 9100 beats the 865g obviously but I need to know if it would outperform a geforce 2, although the gf2 doesn't have shaders it does have 4 pixel piplines
and a celeron d 320 would outperform a sempron 2200+ but it's more expensive. but if the 9100 igp will out perform the gf2 he already has then it will be worth the extra
Relative to the integrated nforce2 boards (GF4 MX I think), Yes, the 9100 is better. It can handle dual channel, so that would be a big boost. However, how much better is subjective. I recall seeing a direct comparison many months ago, and overall a 9100 IGP system did bench a bit better than an nforce2 IGP system. Bottom line, compared to a GF2, it should be quite a bit better, but don't expect miracles. The ATi solution boasts the best on board video, but for a market that is super low end... with obvious repurcussions. Let him know he ain't gonna play the latest games with the settings cranked up.
Old 8th December, 2004, 01:46 AM
Member/Contributer

well I finished it, celeron d 2.4ghz and an asus p4r800v with 512mb ddr400 (2x256) up and running straight off at 3.6ghz stock voltage and cooler (the asus board just started up like that and it worked so i left it) had the same cooler that mine came with this morning not the newer one but still only hit 60C full load in a porrly vented case
he's really happy with the performance, it wasn't actually a real gf2 but the mx so it's much faster, he's playing rome: total war and it looks and runs great on it and best of all he donated the mx for my parents system which was in dire need of a good vid card to replace the cirrus logic agp card it came with
scan once again managed to fluff an order up, last week they gave me an ide maxtor instead of a sata one because the sales guy misread sabre as sata (sabre being the name for ide models) and today even though I was double cautious they gave us a single stick of corsair ram instead of the dual channel kit I asked for, got my name right this time though

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah