AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th December, 2004, 10:11 PM

New to 5.1, how to connect Creative GD580 for analog 5.1?

Wow, I'm impressed with the sound of these speakers, comming from a two-speaker analog setup.

But until I get an spdif bracket for my mobo, which is kinda hard in this part of the world and point of time, I'm looking to have at least analog 5.1 sound out of my 8rda+. So how do I go about this?

The only "visible" option is to connect the red, green, and blue mobo outputs via the supplied 3-jack-/3-jack (all males) cable DIRECTLY to the three corresponding inputs on the subwoofer. (FYI, the 3-jack cable is intended for the decoder-to-subwoofer audio connection according to the manual)

But that would rule out using the decoder for volume adjustments and stuff. Besides that, would it even work? I'm afraid I can mess something seriously up with this connection, shot circuits and stuff...

I'd really appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks a lot!
Old 14th December, 2004, 10:35 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Analog 5.1 sound works by sending six seperate signals over three jacks. Hence the three jacks on the board become front left+right, rear left+right and center/sub. This is pretty much the same way that the decoder to sub audio connection would work - the analog outputs on the 8RDA+ are already decoded, so no further decoding is necessary.

You may well find that the analog outputs are plenty good enough to mean there's little point upgrading to a decoder.
Old 14th December, 2004, 10:41 PM

So you're saying that i can just go ahead and plug the mobo straight to the woofer's three minijack inputs?
Old 14th December, 2004, 11:40 PM

Well, I just took the leap of baith, but no sound! Guess I'm gonna have to start looking really hard for the bracket...