AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th December, 2004, 06:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

vid card overclocking

is there a MAJOR risk in uppping the votlages and AGP bus along with upping the core and memory speeds?
Old 18th December, 2004, 06:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

Voltage is risky. Generally, when increasing voltage you need to improve cooling at the same time. Overclocking alone increases heat, and resistance (Ohms) because of the heat. Increasing the voltage increases the heat still further, but improves stability. Get rid of that excess heat, no problems. Leave the stock cooling in place and you'll have expensive fried video card bits.

AGP bus overclocking is of such limited benefit, I really wouldn't bother. Actually I don't, even though I know my present video card (Ti4200) can tolerate bus speeds up to 84 MHz. I don't know that it really is a risk to your card; my experience is it either works, or it doesn't. My card hasn't been any worse after taking the AGP bus too far.

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th December, 2004, 07:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

today i just installed the nv silencer 3 for my card, so cooling isnt an issue. i have a e-geforce fx 5900 se (5900xt with a fancy name ) also I would like to know how far i could push it and is there a better OCing program better than Rivatuner v2.0?
Old 18th December, 2004, 07:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

Don't forget extra cooling for your memory. Be careful to watch for artifacts when benchmarking.

I can't help you with suggested limits for your card. I'm stuck in 2001 video card wise. Maybe someone reading this can?

I still use Rivatuner, so if you find something better, let me know. I guess you could do a BIOS flash, but that's too risky for me.

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th December, 2004, 03:09 PM
Member/Contributer

with air I'd look for 500 on the core. I flashed my 5900 and it helped me outa bit(bumped up core with very little temp increase, coupled with more RPM on the fan from the flash usually...), I think my best was 515. Forget the memory speeds, but they jumped too.