AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th December, 2004, 10:19 AM

uber power projector

ok, im going to be making a projector, like Chernobyl's one,but with one difference, if it works,

before i said i was thinking of putting two lots of ohp electronics in one ohp, i decided this was silly and came up with a better one, but it is based on one, totallly made up assumption. the thery came from uni, as i do filming there for my corse, we use lighting equipment, as in small halogen flood lights that pump out about 4000 watts,,,,,,,,,, you get were im going with this doint you, get a fallty ohp on the cheap, take out all the electronins and stick a stupidly powerfull, and rellativly cheap flood light in it, you can get 500 watt securetty lights of ebay for £6.99 buy it now, but these arnt designed to be on for a long time, i was thinking getting a 2000 odd watt propper one for a bit more, but i digress,

********THE PROBLEM********** Do ohps work on the theary that the light is in the exact right place, and the glass is a lense that directs it perfically in the right direction, (to the top bit) cos if they do this will become a lot harder, but if i can get round this it will make it bright enough to watch in daylight, and may make this cheaper to do too, before i mention cooling, anyhow anythoughts before i start building??
joe
Old 24th December, 2004, 10:48 AM
Projector Wizard

I have a suggestion, get some UBER cooling in there!!!

Seriously, make sure the OHP, LCD and Lamp dont overheat.
If the radiated heat picked up by the LCD is more than you can shift, you may need to reduce the light power.
Potentially even worse, the Fresnel lense inside the OHP is plastic (the ones I have seen are), this may melt with the kind of power you intend to use. If so, the plastic will melt onto your very powerful light.
Cool your lamp a lot, you can burn your house down with kit of that power.

The 400W OHP bulbs are also about £6 from ebay, they last up to 270 hours each

As your project is going to involve placing a powerful light in a smaller enclosure than it was designed for and you will be handling Mains Voltage, SERIOUSLY get it checked over by an electrician before you power it on.
Make sure the mains switch is handy and you have adequate fire prevention for electrical fires. Have someone else there in case you are in need of help.

I'm sure most of your questions will have more of a direction once you have made your first try. Suffice to say the placement and the shape of the lights reflector, bulb, the projection surface + Fresnel lense, the mirror+lense and the distance to your screen and what things are made of all matter. You can try it and see what happens, but I cannot warn you enough, take extreme care.
Btw, a crappy OHP isnt going to give a good result, you may need to try a few.

Oh and get some sunglasses!

edit:
after reviewing the potential hazards, I would advise against doing this unless you have support from a good electrical engineer who feels competent in this field.
X1800XT clocked to PE

Last edited by Chernobyl; 24th December, 2004 at 11:01 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th December, 2004, 04:51 PM

errrrrrrr ok now im scared, hum, is this worth dieing over, lol, maby 4000w is a bit much, for cooling i was thinking along the lines of getting one of the plastic protection lensses that thease lights use, but a really big one, and putting it inside accros the ohp, to stop the air, then like a desk fan, but its gona be stpidly powerfull, i might, get the most powerfull light i can then put it on the lowest light setting,

anyhow on another note, have you guys heard of twinhead, as there is a twinhead 15 ince xga moniter on ebay that is clased as faulty cos the back light is blown, but i dont need that anyway, but iv never heard of them, anybody know if there anygood??
joe
Old 24th December, 2004, 08:52 PM
Projector Wizard

Hi Joe
each type of light has its own light characteristics. This will affect how Blue, Red, neutral etc the light will appear. I would steer away from any light that has a specifically yellow tinge.
Which bulb will best suite the panel you get will be determined by the colour levels the panel allows to pass.
The size of fresnel lense you will need to use is dependant on the screen size of the LCD. ie for 15" LCD use a 15" diagonal fresnel lense.

I havent heard of Twinview, but if you get that real cheap, its a good test target
Tomshardware gave a good report on building a OHP which spurred me on. His second report on suitable LCDs for viewing movies may be of some use.
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041201/index.html
X1800XT clocked to PE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th December, 2004, 01:08 PM

nar it went for 60 quid including mostage, anyhow, iv been looking into getting a scart to monitor addaptor, i know there avaliable, but has anyone seen one that support a high ressalution, as i was gona get a 1200 by 100 res scrren and they only go up to 100 by 700 ish ressalution, my reason is i would be able to plug a freewiew box and my ps2 straight into the monitor,
the flood light idea is on the backburner, if the normal ohp doesnt work i may still try it
joe
Old 25th December, 2004, 05:56 PM
AOA Staff

Halogen flood light lamps are long tubes, usually 118mm long. I would say that they are less suitable for this purpose compared to a small filament lamp. The light does need to be focused using a parabolic reflector. The filament needs to be positioned in the focal point of the reflector.
Old 27th December, 2004, 12:08 PM

yeah, that was kinda what i figured, anyhow i ordered an ohp, 400 watt, so i may just use that, but iv been looking in to screens, a small part of me wants to get a high res 1024 by 1200, but i cant find anything to plug into it, i found someone selling one of these
http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/vision/vb-100.htm
but it only goes up to xga, so i dont know if its really worth getting any higher ressalution then that, plus does anyone know the resalution that you can get freeview digital to go at, and dvds and ps2's for that matter, cos if its only 1024 : 768 thats all i'll bother getting
joe
Old 27th December, 2004, 02:23 PM
Projector Wizard

Joe
you might want to look at this video converter too
http://www.x2vga.com/
Its sometimes hard to follow what you mean. by 1024x1200 do you mean 1280x1024?
If so, you will need a lot of luck as I wasnt able to find a 15" LCD with that spec for a decent price anywhere. Freeview is less than 1024x768.
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 27th December, 2004, 04:49 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Freeview depends on which station you're watching. Typically it's around 720 x 576, but the horizontal resolution appears to change a bit depending on the channel. I've not seen any widescreen channels transmitting at less than 700x576 pixels though. DVDs are 720x576 for PAL. Sony's PS2 is about 640x480 when running in interlaced mode, non-interlaced it's about 640x240.

All of these devices are way below the 1024x768 you're specifying.
Old 5th January, 2005, 02:06 AM
Projector Wizard

Hey Joe
hows it going, have you got your OHP?
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 5th January, 2005, 10:26 PM

how anoying it came the other day, when i was out, now i got to go to the sorting office, should have it tomorow hopefully, im hunting for a screen as well, id thought id play it safe and go for one of the ones on the tomshardware list of sutable screens, but iv only found one so far, on ebay, and if finished, on newyears day, when i was in no state to be ebaying, owell, the only other thing iv been looking at is a, turn your lcd in to a tv things, there cheap to so ill be getting one of those too
joe
Old 6th January, 2005, 01:44 PM
Projector Wizard

Super.
Please note those LCDs on Tomshardware probably arent good enough for games.
Try to find one with a total response time of around 16mS. Of course it doesnt matter if you only wish to play movies.

Watch out for the TV LCDs, if they are smaller than a 14" screen, you are going to lose a lot of light from the OHP in the non screen areas. Those TV monitors do sound worthy, I had my eye on a few when I was looking for a LCD too.
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 9th January, 2005, 09:50 PM

I HAVE AN OHP, finnaly, if you cant see it on the pics its a pendax its model number (ironically) 5504-LCD, its 400 watt, and is a light at the side with a mirror type one, (thats the technicall term you understand lol), anyhow, for somme reason the frensnal is on its own little hinge that can be undone from the lid, if has no corners so i dont know if chopping of the plastic bits would help on mmine,

please feel free to see the heaping pile of crap that seems to accumalate on my computer table, imm on the hunnt for a screen still but im gona be buisy for a week or 2 so i duno if ill be able to find one
Attached Thumbnails
uber power projector-ohp-1.jpg   uber power projector-ohp-2.jpg   uber power projector-ohp-3.jpg   uber power projector-ohp-4.jpg   uber power projector-ohp-5.jpg  

Old 9th January, 2005, 09:53 PM

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
uber power projector-ohp-6.jpg   uber power projector-ohp-7.jpg  
Old 9th January, 2005, 10:03 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Why would you want to chop the corners on the lens anyway?
Old 9th January, 2005, 10:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I <THINK> it has to do with reducing the chances of breakage. 45 degree corners are a little more robust than 90 degree ones.
Old 9th January, 2005, 10:31 PM

err sorry, that was what people were talking about in the other thread, Chernobyl's one as it gives you a bigger screen.
Old 10th January, 2005, 01:26 AM
Projector Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless joe
I HAVE AN OHP, finnaly, if you cant see it on the pics its a pendax its model number (ironically) 5504-LCD, its 400 watt, and is a light at the side with a mirror type one, (thats the technicall term you understand lol), anyhow, for somme reason the frensnal is on its own little hinge that can be undone from the lid, if has no corners so i dont know if chopping of the plastic bits would help on mmine,

please feel free to see the heaping pile of crap that seems to accumalate on my computer table, imm on the hunnt for a screen still but im gona be buisy for a week or 2 so i duno if ill be able to find one
Joe
that seems to be a good portable ish OHP.
There is little to no information I could find apart from this:

PENDAX OF STOCKHOLM OHP..Triple lens really light ,quiet,double lamp, and really well made (not an eyesaw like some) 5504 lcd OHP(really portable to take out+setup outside if you wanted too,Have lots of osram/Philips EVD 400W 36V bulbs

You will see the need to cut out the plastic under the glass when you get your LCD
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 10th January, 2005, 01:35 AM
Projector Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Why would you want to chop the corners on the lens anyway?
Hi Áedán,
I have just posted a mini OHP guide on my thread
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showt...118#post289118
This part describes the need to free more display space on the OHP bed.

A 15" LCD is 12.1" across but the OHP lit area is generally less, down to 10.5" in one case. The Fresnel lense underneath the OHP glass in most cases is over 12", so it makes sense to try and fit the whole screen on without shrinking it.
The area between the glass and the Fresnel lense is an air route. Cold air is drawn in over them before it enters the OHPs main bay. The route is made by parts of the plastic/metal lid hanging down and block the flow of air down the sides of the fresnel lense. To liberate the full size of the LCD, it may be necessary to cut part of these out or play a safer option.
It may be worth inspecting OHPs to see how easily this mod can be accomplished. If it has a metal lid, do you have the tools to do the job?
Can you remove enough material to match the LCD enough without destroying the air routing?

Hopefully this is easy on most OHPs.
By cutting mine out, I now lose only the very right of the screen from the clock on.
From there it is easy to adjust a setting called 'clock' on the LCD which shrunk the screen so I now lose only 1/3rd of the clock! It looks great.
X1800XT clocked to PE