AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th December, 2004, 06:49 PM
AOA Staff

Dual GPU 6600GT Video Card Reviewed

See the review here:
http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/n...04108813,6692,

Last edited by danrok; 29th December, 2004 at 08:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th December, 2004, 08:29 PM
Member/Contributer

for some reason the link doesnt work even though its right

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th December, 2004, 08:33 PM
AOA Staff

Fixed it now!
Old 29th December, 2004, 11:45 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

I wonder if we will actualy see these avalible and with reasonable price tag...

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 29th December, 2004, 11:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yes and no.

There will only be about 10 of them, which is ok, because they will cost about $10,000 each.
Old 29th December, 2004, 11:48 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

The card WILL be available in 3rd quarter next year, or so I've been told. Gigabyte does alot of testing in building videocards, and they generally show possible production models only. The best way to confirm will be if the card shows at CES next week.

On a side note, anyone else gonna go?

SLi done on-card....meaning it might be possible to connect 2 of the and have 4 gpu's!

This is what we have to look forward to in the next 2 years...everything is going dual...video cards, cpu's, and memory channels....I'm hoping that we will see more "hypermemory"....when the vidcards use system memory(kinda like ATI's SMARTGART, but way more advanced)....will lead to less latency, and way better performance. I think BTX plays a role as well, but we will see. I can guaranttee, however, that this is a large part of the reason that PCI-E has slowly emerged...the extra bandwidth is going to be fully used by the end of 2005, my sources tell me.
Old 31st December, 2004, 12:07 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
I'm hoping that we will see more "hypermemory"....when the vidcards use system memory(kinda like ATI's SMARTGART, but way more advanced)....will lead to less latency, and way better performance.
That'd drop performance through the floor!! The system memory bus is contended - that's just a fancy word for the fact that several devices will want to use it at the same time. If the graphics card is using the system memory, then no other device can be using it. If the CPU needs to access system memory, it's locked out until the GPU has finished!

Now add to that the fact that graphics cards have memory that handles far higher bandwidths than system ram does, and the picture looks bleak. Take a card like the 6800 Ultra. It has around 35000Mbyte/sec of memory bandwidth. Take an Athlon 64, which can manage some 5510Mbyte/sec of memory bandwidth. Couple that with the fact that the processor can no longer cache the system memory that the graphics card is using, and you also lose any benefits of the cache onboard the CPU. This is because the CPU doesn't know if the GPU has changed memory contents or not, and can only assume that the GPU has altered memory.
Old 31st December, 2004, 01:14 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I concede that under current technologies, the things you mention may be of a problem, but when you have blossomming technologies like GDDR3 memory, dualcore cpu's, and dual gpu's, it is not so far fetched to have 1gb reserved mem for graphics, and 1 cpu core responsible for managing it. Remember that prices are about to fall drastically...price fixing in the DRAM market is starting to settle in court, and prices in 6 months should be a third of what they are now, so seeing 4gb in "big box" machines by Q4 2005 is a very real possibility.

Now, the only problem with havin such a system is also having the programming to manage it, but microsoft, ATI, and AMD have something going on here...don't forget that the Xbox2 is due in the fall, and with an R500 for graphics, if consoles are gonna be that powerful, pc's will be faster.

Check out the roadmaps for the next 18 months, and to my eyes, it all becomes clear, especially the delay of DirectNext, and Longhorn, and intel's annoucment of changing thier roadmap drastically...nixing the 4ghz cpu in favor of lower-speed dual cores....computing is changing....everything is going dual.