AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th January, 2005, 04:24 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Power DVD5 issue

I thought it was my DVD burner... but it turns out whenever I play DVDs on my PC, I get occassional little horizontal lines appearing on my screen for a second or two. It stays in place, and varies in number an location. I thought I was getting bad burns but it turns out it is my video card.

In Power DVD, I noticed when I enable HW decoding, the CPU usage drops to 1-2%. When I turn it off, the CPU usage goes up to 9-11%. WHen the CPU is doing the work, no artifacts... When the GPU is doing the work, the artifacts appear.

I'm running a 9600np non overclocked. Any advice?
Is there a particular setting in the video driver that needs to be enabled for DVD decoding to take place properly?
Old 7th January, 2005, 04:38 AM
Member/Contributer

there aren't any settings in the ati control panel for this
perhaps updating to the lates dvd decoder from the ati website, but i think you will need the cd that came with the card as it doesn't just let you download it

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January, 2005, 05:38 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

what you are seeing is the pauses between buffer loads. I get the same thing playing a dvd on my x800xtpe...and it's damn annoying. Not too much to do about it, except to not use hardware encoding, but i don't even know how to do that. My experience in trying to get a decent htpc going has been kinda frustrating...i ended up going and buying another dvd player.
Old 7th January, 2005, 05:47 AM
Member/Contributer

I don't get that on either my all in wonder 9800 or my igp 9100 systems, are you using the ati decoder and how recent a version do you have?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January, 2005, 05:56 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Power DVD 5. I sometimes get decent performance using the included asusdvdxp, but anime dvd's cause issues. It could be a codec issue...
Old 7th January, 2005, 06:31 AM
Member/Contributer

the ati one is quite good, something i noticed when i downloaded the newest one was what looked like a lossy compression artifact remover filter being used, it could have been the dvd but I'm pretty sure it was the codec (If you've ever used the jpeg artifact remover in psp you'll know what i mean)

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah