AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th February, 2005, 12:01 AM
Member/Contributer

TFT response

I don't actually own a tft monitor (though I have owned a laptop) but a friend of mine wants a system putting together soon and she wants a tft screen. My question is how slow is a 25ms response time? I know it works out to something like 40fps but how bad does this look in use? she's only using it really for web browsing, uni work and occasionally films, now I'd guess that other than the mouse cursor movement it wouldn't be a problem for the first 2, but would video be unwatchable? Also is it more likely to cause eyestrain than with a lower response time?
There are 16ms screens in her price range but I figure the actual display and build quality will be better in a screen with the higher response time, and with her not being a gamer it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2005, 05:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

People make a big deal out of the response time of the screen, but IMHO anything at or below 25 mS is quite usable. There will be a little ghosting of the mouse, but not much. As for video, most television CRTs have a decay rate that is the same or worse, so I wouldn't see that as being a problem. If she is at all concerned, go down to a store that sells these little gems and play with one for a bit and see what she thinks.

I have Radius 7 17" TFT here that has a 25 mS response, and I use another one at the office. I find them both quite usable. The 40 mS jobs though, are another proposition entirely.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2005, 08:11 PM
Member/Contributer

yeah our televisions (well older models) only run at 50hz, but I know that a 16ms response doesn't look quite as fluid as a 60hz CRT
guess I'll have to get my backside down to the shops

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th February, 2005, 08:53 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

it's fine as long as you aren't a hardcore gamer.. the lag will make you miss alot of shots that you fired. 16ms-12ms-10ms is ideal for gaming, but anything above that, up to 25 is decent for standard desktop usage. That ms setting is how fast the pixels can refresh, so obviously a higher response time is going to affect how things "appear" on the screen.

IF space is not much of a concern, i still recommend using a crt...cheaper..and no worries of getting 20 dead pixels before you can get an RMA.
Old 20th February, 2005, 09:02 PM
AOA Staff

There was an article on the Inquirer about response times and apparently even if you have a TFT with a 0ms response time you would still see slight lag, non-lagging TFT is impossible.

I would agree that 25ms or less is just fine for most people. 16ms or less is considered good for FPS games.
Old 20th February, 2005, 09:43 PM
Member/Contributer

she's not really going to be playing games on it, maybe occasionally but she's by no means a hardcore gamer
I don't know if space is a concern but she's dead set on a TFT, it's a pain really, she has £500 and wants a shuttle system, which wouldn't be so bad but she wants a black one and unles I convince her to let me paint one that means the SB65G2 which is more expensive than I would like
girls aye

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th February, 2005, 10:02 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
she's not really going to be playing games on it, maybe occasionally but she's by no means a hardcore gamer
You never know she might be one day, after she's had a good go on a virtual AK47.
Old 20th February, 2005, 11:04 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
There was an article on the Inquirer about response times and apparently even if you have a TFT with a 0ms response time you would still see slight lag, non-lagging TFT is impossible.
It's rather the same with CRTs, you can't actually have a 0ms response time due to the way they work. Something to do with it taking time to transmit the image to the monitor.

The biggest problem is that there is no standardised way to measure response time. That means that response time between manufacturers is not necessarily measured in the same way, nor means the same thing.