AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd February, 2005, 09:16 PM

AGP 2X Slot; What Best to Fill It?

Basically, I'm trying to revive my old Tiger S2460, as you might have noticed in the AMD Mobo & Proc topic...

Anyway, as the title mentions, I've got that AGP 2X slot to fill, but I'm a bit rusty on my video card info.

First, will I be able to utilize the performance that a 4X card might provide? For that matter, perhaps even an 8x? It has 2 GB of PC2100, and if I have any say about the processor it'll have 2 XP 2800+'s if not 3200+'s, so I think the procs would enjoy a faster card, but as mentioned, I don't know much about the AGP port & it's bandwidth & practical limitations.

So, any recommendations about a nice, mostly hastle-free card for the AMD-760MP chipset? 9600 Radeon SE's are disqualified; Windows setup kept locking up at the partition, format, & file copy stage with it.

Last edited by Aegis; 23rd February, 2005 at 10:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2005, 09:53 PM
Member/Contributer

the agp bandwidth is rarely the major limitting factor, I don't actually know if many agp8x cards will work in an agp2x slot though
from what I understand it's normally ok to use an higher spec agp card in a lower spec slot, but not ok the other way round. Some agp8x cards will work, I know of people who use the radeon 9200/9250 cards in agp2x machines.
you best bet is probably to look for a geforce 4 range card

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th February, 2005, 01:00 AM
AOA Staff

make sure you check what voltages the slot supports before you go stabbing a card in there, there are 3 different voltage specs now I think
Old 24th February, 2005, 01:06 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

For some reason some programs report my agp slot to utilize 1x/2x but it is set to 4x with either of my 2 4x cards or my recent MSI RX9250 which is 8x but using 4x.