AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th September, 2001, 03:47 AM

Ugly geforce3

I upgraded from a matrox G400 to a geforce3 and there seems to be a big drop in image quality in some games.
Giants runs fine but in DeusEx the textures are very poor quality. They look like they are only in 8bit colour even though its set to 32bit.
I had the same thing in the quake3 load screen (where there is one big texture) and i improoved it by adding something like "r_ext_texture_compression 0" to the consoll.

So i think these ugly textures are caused by the way the card compreses the textures.

Is there a way i can turn off the cards texture compression in all 3D apps as there wasnt a big performance hit in Q3.

Also another strange thing, in deusX if i ran the game in windowed mode the poor texture quality went away and it looked as good as it did on my G400.

Thanks for any help.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th September, 2001, 05:14 PM
Banned

I know powerstrip allows you to tweak most of these things.

You can get it here.