AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th April, 2005, 08:41 PM

My dilemma

Just a question in the "what would you do?" category.

I have two computers able to play CS:S at the moment. One (mine) with a 6800, and the second (visitor's) with a 5200. The 5200 is playable...but looks like vomit, so I was going to snag a 6600 or 6600gt for the second computer...but...

Now I've found out that I can get a relatively new 21" Dell flat screen CRT for around $200. So, I can either step up from my 19" CRT Nokia monitor to a shiny new 21" Flat screen...or grab the graphics card and put that third Steam account I've got laying around to good use so that two of my buddies can get online and we can kill each other for mad fun.

What would you guys do?

Edit: Keep in mind that "BOTH" while sounding like an awesome idea and would generally be my choice, I am on a serious budget and it's taken me like 4 or 5 months now to save up $110. (Lol, I know, sad) so I just can't decide. I'm torn because the idea of having three friends play at the same time sounds great...I also don't have two friends over at the same time all that often, and when I'm sitting playing by myself I know my games would look oh so much more beautiful on a 21" CRT.
Old 27th April, 2005, 11:27 PM
Steve Jobs

Get the video card mate. Dell CRTs are not known for their quality at all. Its possible that although smaller, your 19" will be able to run higher resolutions and refresh rates than a poor quality 21. They look cool because they are black, but are some of the worse CRTs ive ever seen.

Their LCDs use samsung panels and are actually quite good, but their CRTs.. urgh.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th April, 2005, 01:04 AM
Member/Contributer

I agree, a 21", especially in that price range wouldn;t be that great, and a 19" monitor is fairly large, as large as you ever need for games.
the fact is, you can play games just fine hw you are, the new card would add something you don't have rather than just improving something.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th April, 2005, 05:49 AM

Gah! Good call, then. You guys convinced me. Now the choice between the 256 6600 or the 128 6600gt. I have 1gig of 3200 dual channel Samsung RAM on an 8RDA3+ and a 2600 mobile at 2.2ghz (sucky hs/f). I'm leaning towards the GT just because I think I have enough system memory to get away with a 128mb card, but need more opinions before I'm willing to shell out this kind of cash. I'm looking at either the Aopen Aeolus or a Chaintech 6600gt. Both just over $150 or so on Newegg.
Old 28th April, 2005, 06:08 AM
Steve Jobs

get the GT, theres not a whole lot that you can do with 256 that you cant do with 128. And on top of that the GT is a whole different beast. With 8 pipes at 500Mhz, a 6600GT is a downright weapon. the non GT is a little toothless really.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 28th April, 2005, 01:40 PM
Member/Contributer

The only reaon I would recomend a 6600 over a GT is cost, they are only a little above half the price, and the cores overclock to GT levels, but the memory can be a big let down.
The 256mb version has little advantage over the 128mb version as memory bandiwdth is so low
Read some reviews of the standard 6600 though, they are worth considering if you wanna save a few quid as other than memory bandiwdth, once overclocked they come very close to the 6600GT and are a lot lot cheaper

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah