AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th May, 2005, 04:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

If I got a 6800GT

If I got a 6800GT for my system (in sig) how much would it bottleneck it?
Old 7th May, 2005, 05:25 AM
Steve Jobs

considerably.

but it depends on what you use it for.

When I got my 6800GT, i was using a 2400+ @ 2.3Ghz (Tbred B). I scored 16,000 in 3dmark2001, 11,000 in 3dmark03, and 5,800 in 3dmark05.

after the athlon64, im 30,000 in 3dmark2001, 14,000 in 03, and 6,400 in 05.

Doom3 showed little difference, but source is incredibly CPU dependent, and almost doubled in speed. HL2, CSS and all source based games go insane with an A64.

But yea, the athlon XPs can bottleneck it badly, but it is still quite usable depending on the game.

Im not saying CSS was unplayable btw. Im saying it was 1152x864 full effects, 4X AA, 16X AF, 70fps. Which is good lol, but after the A64, it was 100fps constantly. It never drops at all.

Everything will easily be twice as fast as it is now for you, but it just wont reach its full potential.

a 6800GT is insanely fast, even when cpu bottlenecked. ITs just that once its unleashed, its even better!
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2005, 05:31 AM
Member/Contributer

It's better to be cpu bottlenecked than GPU usually, when people say the cpu is the bottleneck, they are usually talking about when games reach 100+ fps, in most games that cpu will handle over 50fps, a 2.3ghz AthlonXP is still a potent chip

Any one who is cpu limitted isn't using pretty enough settings

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2005, 06:11 AM

im confused, if i get the 6800GT i will be cpu limited or gpu limited?

and would i be better off with a 6600GT?
Old 7th May, 2005, 06:23 AM
Steve Jobs

cpu limited. and no, get the 6800GT.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 7th May, 2005, 06:33 AM

so, its really that much more worth it, from all the reviews and forums i've checked out in the past few days shows that the 6600gt is just as good as "most" 6800gt's.
Old 7th May, 2005, 09:12 AM
Steve Jobs

yes and no. For low resolution, low quality yes. But the 6800GT has so much more power in the high res, anti aliasing department. Also newer games are going to really benefit from the 16 pipes. the 6800GT is always better. But its a matter of degrees.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 7th May, 2005, 11:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

A matter of degrees? And your wallet thickness

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 7th May, 2005, 03:07 PM
Member/Contributer

A 6800GT is a good 50% faster than a 6600GT in almost anything, start increasing the resolution and using FSAA and it's closer to double the speed
You would be cpu limitted if you only ran at 1280x1024 with no FSAA or anything, but turning on all the eyecandy to make the GPU the limitting factor will mean that the cpu makes little differance.

Usually with games the minimum cpu reomendation is a lot more accurate than minimal gpu
The only game I know that can tax my cpu is UT2004 with the physics setting on maximum, bring it down the normal and even on max visual settings it runs at vsync'd levels almost all the time

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th May, 2005, 05:36 PM

DITT0 with what they say.

That was my reason to get a 6800GT, and worry about the CPU later.

And game wise, for the most part all I play is DC and then BF2 when it comes out, had NO problem with D00M 3 at high settings either, but I play with setting 1024x768, AA4x, AF8x.
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 7th May, 2005, 06:06 PM

sweet, Gaiward Golden Sample 6800GT here i come..................when i get the money
Old 8th May, 2005, 12:40 AM
Steve Jobs

The gainward is quite bad actually. They have poorly designed and made HSFs on them and commonly fail and overheat. The ones to go for are ASUS MSI Ablatron XFX and BFG. Gainward used to be good, but its gone downhill like mad.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 8th May, 2005, 07:17 AM

awww well, at least i'll save a little bit of $$

what about Leadtek?
Old 8th May, 2005, 11:02 AM
Steve Jobs

Leadtek has nice cooling, but not really any better than the stock nvidia cooling. Its a big block of copper and weighs alot, and hangs off a part of the card which doesnt have any structural support which worries me. Ive got a Leadtek unit right here for a build, seeing as the MSI is on backorder, and its a very nice card, well made, nice package, nice bundle, and it overclocks very well. It runs 2C hotter than my Albatron, even though the Albatron is running with an overvolt of 0.1V, and a stock cooler that has been lapped.

It was a lot more money than the Albatron and the MSI though, and I couldnt justify the extra money for a card that is no different to the Albatron or MSI. If you want to pay a little extra for a card and feel the difference in quality, buy ASUS. If you want to save yourself some money and get a card just as good go Albatron, MSI, XFX, BFG, or even eVGA, which is very good value and quality.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 8th May, 2005, 03:16 PM
Member/Contributer

I would go for a leadtek because they are the cheapest and then replace it's cooler with either a Zalman VF700-CU or Arctic cooling NV Silencer 5 using the money saved over another brand.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th May, 2005, 08:14 PM

this is what im going to get...........http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125143
Old 8th May, 2005, 09:02 PM
Member/Contributer

Shame they went for a fan on the back instead of a larger cooler with the GT model, the NU model has a decent passive cooler thats apparently works well enough with good case airflow

I'd probably still want to replace the cooler on that though.

Any particular reason why you chose that card over a $50 cheaper XFX or Leadtek?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th May, 2005, 09:05 PM

i have a gigabyte board that is extremely reliable and so i figured if the mobo is reliable the vid card would be about the same, and all the nVidia reference heatsinks look SO boring to me
Old 8th May, 2005, 09:07 PM
Member/Contributer

I think all the top name cards are reliable enough

As for the stock cooler, all the more reason to change it to an NV5 or VF700

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th May, 2005, 09:22 PM

so, if i got an evga 6800gt and put an nv5 on it, i would be good to go?