AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th May, 2005, 04:57 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

A little lube goes a long way

I've been thinking about building another linux box to play with and was in search of a video card.

Turns out I found one, an old NVIDIA TNT M64 PCI video card. (32 meg) I plugged her in and fired the box up

Wurrrrrr......... Wurrrrr...... Wurrrr....... turns out the fan on the card was making a terrible noise, and I don't have any spares.

Sooooooo I pulled the card out and took the fan off. Took off the back sticker to expose the "bearing" I added a little "light oil" and all is fine with it now.

Reason why I'm posting this............... maybe you have a card laying around that you've held off from using due to noise. Well, here is a quick and easy fix.
HTH somebody
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
A little lube goes a long way-101_0004.jpg   A little lube goes a long way-000_0019.jpg  
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2005, 05:20 AM
Steve Jobs

Ive got a TI4600 here that im not using due to buzzing bearings. Incredibly loud thing!
I was going to buy a new fan for it some time but I might just try the oiling. See how it goes. What kind of oil did you use? WD-40?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2005, 05:34 AM
Member/Contributer

Are you using it for any 3d stuff? If you aren't a tnt2 can probably cope fanless for 2d or even text based stuff

Even for 3d stuff, you could probably get away with it if you improve the heatsinks contact, I do believe the tnt2 only had the heatsink attached with epoxy, so some thermal paste, with dabs of epoxy on the corners would improve things a lot

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th May, 2005, 05:38 AM
Steve Jobs

My mum just smacked me in the head for reading a web page that had "A little lube goes a long way". Thanks robbie, now she thinks im a pervert.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 7th May, 2005, 03:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Parental Advisory! Today Robbie is using oil to make his ...video card feel better!
Old 7th May, 2005, 03:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
My mum just smacked me in the head for reading a web page that had "A little lube goes a long way". Thanks robbie, now she thinks im a pervert.
She didnt think you were already? :\

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 7th May, 2005, 04:17 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Ive got a TI4600 here that im not using due to buzzing bearings. Incredibly loud thing!
I was going to buy a new fan for it some time but I might just try the oiling. See how it goes. What kind of oil did you use? WD-40?
Any light oil should work just fine. Hell I've used veg oil once before.

For my TI4400, (it's in my girls box now) I went out and got a HSF "kit" that came with a couple of ram syncs as well. (to replace the stock one that started to make noise) Well after a while the fan started making noise on that one as well and It started to artifact pretty bad. I pulled it, added a little oil and wha la!! It's up and running quite as can be again.
Rob

PS tell your mum I did that to get people to read it!!!
AOA Team fah
Old 7th May, 2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
But you are

Good 1 Robbie, I use "3 in 1" for the same.
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 7th May, 2005, 07:23 PM
AOA Staff

OK I got a wild hair from Graham's post and decided to take off the heat sync. WOW am I glad that I did. Look at that, just look at that. I was amazed that the chip never burnt up.

Oh well, cleaned up the goop and applied some AS (artic silver) I got some ram sync's laying around somewere, maybe I'll install those and see how high of an overclock I get this sucker to go eh?
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
A little lube goes a long way-101_0007.jpg   A little lube goes a long way-101_0009.jpg  
AOA Team fah
Old 8th May, 2005, 07:35 AM

Make sure you lap the HS.
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 8th May, 2005, 08:35 AM
AOA Staff

Honestly, I was thinking about it. But as I don't live with Nat anymore (faceless wonder) I don't have a decent size piece of glass to use anymore.

Hummmm.... maybe I can pull a picture down off the wall.
AOA Team fah
Old 8th May, 2005, 03:22 PM
Member/Contributer

Ahh your card uses spring clips to hold on, even better than epoxy
But I have to say thats about the worse contact between a core and sink I've ever seen It's a good job thats only a TNT2 under there

I don't think ram sinks will be much use, it's probably only 125-150mhz SDR ram which I doubt even gets warm to the touch, and if it did then thats heat being transferred from the core through the pcb

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah