AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th May, 2005, 07:53 PM

What card (graphics)

Hi guys,

My PNY Geforce 6800GT had a little problem and died last week and because it was less than 12 months old PC world are going to refund me. Now my question is what graphics card should I get that is better than a 6800 GT I have £250 and as I purchased the card when it first came out I was thinking that there has to be somthing better out there. Oh and I really don't care whether its nvidia or ATI as long as it's faster than the last one. Oh and cooling is a big issue as I think the last card cooked.

Thanks
Old 9th May, 2005, 07:54 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

x850xtpe. best single-card solution you can get right now.
Old 9th May, 2005, 08:47 PM
Member/Contributer

Yes but they are not £250

It's a toss up between another 6800GT, an X800Xl or holding off for the next gen of cards to come out

Personally I would go for another 6800GT as they are fast, cheap and will likely age the best, especially when Quake4 and Unreal3 are out

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th May, 2005, 10:19 PM

ok if I go for another 6800GT would XFX's one be the best bet? oh and what if I push the boat out and go up to £300?
Old 9th May, 2005, 10:23 PM

can't answer in local prices for you, but that would get you an x850 on this side of the pond.
Old 9th May, 2005, 10:38 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daston
ok if I go for another 6800GT would XFX's one be the best bet? oh and what if I push the boat out and go up to £300?
Take a look at a Gainward Ultra 2400 Goes Like Hell (6572) GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP).

400MHz Core Engine Clock speed
256MB 1200MHz high speed 1.6NS DDR3 memory

They go for about £300 in th UK.
Old 9th May, 2005, 10:54 PM

Ok what about this??

Connect3D ATI Radeon X800 XT PE 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) -

- 520MHz GPU Core clock speed
- 16 Pixel rendering pipe-line core
- Six programmable vertex shader pipelines
- 256MB 1120MHz DDR3 High Speed Memory
- 256-bit quad-channel GDDR3 memory interface
- 128-bit, 64-bit & 32-bit per pixel floating point color

its £320 but the clock speed is much higher than any nvidia and the ram seems neepy to any thoughts?

thanks
Old 9th May, 2005, 10:58 PM
AOA Staff

You can't go far wrong with either.

Bear in mind that GPU clock speeds are not directly comparable, same situation as Intel vs AMD.
Old 9th May, 2005, 11:04 PM

danrok has an ultra, i have an x800xtpe...who gets the best performance? He has dualchannel, i have single...and pretty sure we have the same cooling...
Old 9th May, 2005, 11:07 PM
AOA Staff

Mine isn't volt modded, however!
Old 9th May, 2005, 11:11 PM

lol i got 6495 in 3dmark05, i think, non-voltmodded, 560, 590. All one needs do is browse the thread, i beleive.

Voltamods on these cards are incredibly easy. a cheap 25w iron, and lowtemp solder, a few variable resistors, and you are all set! The ultra, you can use software! Graham could tell ya the tool!
Old 9th May, 2005, 11:14 PM
AOA Staff

I can't set-up the same test because I don't have a registered version of 3dmark05. Can't drop the PS and VS down to your lower level!
Old 9th May, 2005, 11:28 PM
Member/Contributer

Yeah currently the ATI wins, but you're talking about 90 vs 100 fps, both cores can handle any game with high settings, with the very highest settings that few use the radeon can pull away by a fair margin.

But with future games I see it being a differant story, ID already favour nvidia so Quake4 will work best with them, same for unreal3

There are compelling reasons to go for either chip, for me £235 for a leadtek 6800GT would be the winning arguement, this is about the same price as an X800XL and in most cases the better performer.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th May, 2005, 11:31 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
lol i got 6495 in 3dmark05, i think, non-voltmodded, 560, 590. All one needs do is browse the thread, i beleive.

Voltamods on these cards are incredibly easy. a cheap 25w iron, and lowtemp solder, a few variable resistors, and you are all set! The ultra, you can use software! Graham could tell ya the tool!
Ive done 6600 with a GT, and no modification other than a BIOS flash but its still a lousy synthetic benchmark. I may sound like a broken record, but future wise, the 6 series is going to be a better buy. It competes with the X800 series very well, trades real world benchmark wins with the x800, but most importantly, has a future. SM3.0 is real, and it is something that ATI have now accepted must be taken seriously, as not only will it power the next generation of games, but it also comes into its own on longhorn's new 3d SM3.0 interface.

Ill start my stopwatch now and see how long it takes cada to repost lololol
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 9th May, 2005, 11:54 PM

i can't really argue that dsio, however, how much of a future is there for SM3.0, while the entire 2.0 market gets cut-out? How much longer do you think SM3.0 will be around after 2.0? As far as i know, it should be about the same time, "according to plan", but of course those palns can change. In the meantime, throw in some 3Dc into the mix, alongside that SM3.0, and it's a pretty fair playing field, as you say, DSIO. SO, what it really comes down to is, which card is cheaper, and has the best warranty. However, if you are going to mod the card, the X850 will win over the 6800 Ultra. Stock, they perform pretty much the same, with nVidia taking the lead due to app supprt. Overclocked, it's within a frame or two, nothing worth mentioning.

Took 14 minutes for me to repost, but only because i'm testing at a new spped on this cpu...2700mhz, and i got room to spare, it seems. Booted into windows fine. Good old WZ's little P4 may have some bad news coming!