AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2005, 09:59 AM

Question See what i've done.

Hi!
I'm new ot OCing.
I made my 5900Xt run at 480(core)/888(memory)MHz and it runs absolutely stable with no voltage increasing,no bios modding or flashing(using orig. bios),stock cooling.
On 3DMark 05 i get 1500 3DMarks.Is that good ??
i have a Barton 2500+(512k L2)-OCed to 180x11@1.65V
2x256 DDR400 Kingston in dual channel - 2,5-3-3-7@180MHz(synced with CPU)
120GB Seagata baracuda (ATA-my mobo doesnt support SATA,only the pro version does )
Epox 8RDa3i - no bios modding
GF FX 5900XT - stock bios ,can't flash it cause i dont have a working FDD,stock cooling@480/888
Please tell me if this is good and if not what should i do to improve it because i'm sure that if i flash my 5900Xt bios i'll get at least 1600+ 3DMarks.
Alose Paste a link from where i can download a windows flashing utility because as i mentiond - don't have a FDD.
10x
Old 14th May, 2005, 03:51 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Hi there, a 480mhz core for a f5900 xt is a good overclock, much higher and you will encounter heat issues without extra cooling.....

Keeping it cool

the 880mhz memory clock isnt bad depending on which manufacturer your card is produced by and of course your individual card, In my opinion using 3dmark 2005 to bench this card is not much cop, use 3dmark03 and this will give you a good idea of what to aim for, a score of 6000 and above for a 5900xt is good and 6500 or above is excellent.

One word of advice....dont flash the bios on your card, updating it to the 5950u bios will probably allow a higher overclock but will loosen the memory timings on your card and the chances are you will see a performance loss rather than gain.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah

Last edited by MONKEYMAN; 14th May, 2005 at 05:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th May, 2005, 01:41 PM

Thx MONKEYMAN
i serached the web with google about fx5900xt photos and it found literally billions Alas none of them mathced mine .I bought it in december 2004 and becasue of financial limits it is non-retail so i don't know what brand it is at all.All sorsts of software i've installed just say Nvidia GeForce 5900xt and nothing more.Tomorrow i intend on getting a digital camera from my school to photo it to show u guys ,cause i think the cooling isn't so bad though it is stock
It might appear to be good
expect the link to the photo on tuesday-wednesday +2GMT
Old 15th May, 2005, 03:06 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Doing a mod similar to the one I performed will reduce your temps but kills any resale value the card did have left before I started pulling bits off.
Even if your stock cooling is not bad there is nothing like having 25cfm of air going over the heatsinks as opposed to the 7cfm the 40mm fan was blowing, lowering the temps on your gpu and ram will increase the overclocking potential of the card, however there is a point where the temps on mine just spiral upwards(around 490-500 gpu) and nothing short of watercooling or putting a full sized cpu heatsink on the core would help that as far as I can see.
I found my memory(just standard ddr according to the manual) allowed me an extra 20mhz when cooled and I could sustain heavy load tests continuously at around 985mhz but I usually have it at around 970mhz as above 970mhz is generating a lot of heat and to be honest im happy with anything over 950mhz from memory on a card this cheap.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!