AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th May, 2005, 10:21 AM

Which PCI DVB-T card?

I've got an aerial connection in my bedroom which i know is capable of receiving digital terrestrial. As I have a nice screen and a relatively quiet PC, I figure rather than getting a portable and a digital set-top-box (wasting space and money), the way forward will be to get a TV card for my PC.

Just wondered if any of you have any experience with them, which ones to avoid, any good ones... the features that sound quite nifty are the Electronic Programme Guide, time shifting, programme recording... and I guess for the ultimate in laziness a remote control would be quite nice

Anybody have any recommendations / comments?
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2005, 10:42 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'm using a Hauppage Nova-T card, but not using Windows. Instead, I've got a Linux system set up (Using MythTV).
Old 17th May, 2005, 11:06 AM

I'd probably be using windows, but that card seems pretty good. Would you recommend any 3rd party apps for this card for windows? As i've just googled the card and quickly read a couple of reviews that say the card is good, but the supplied software is awful.
NVidia 6800GT

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2005, 01:56 PM
Member/Contributer

Yeah I have the same card (also in a mythtv box) and the windows software is aweful. It does work with WinXP MCE 2005 though I could never get the remote to work.

If you want 3rd party software then I hear meedio isn't bad

http://www.meedio.com/

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th May, 2005, 02:13 PM

That actually does a lot more than I need it to do - this isn't going to be used as a HTPC, the only functionality I need is just to flick channels, access to the EPG and the time shifting / programme recording. Although that software looks pretty nifty - maybe one to consider when I do embark on a HTPC project.
NVidia 6800GT

AOA Team fah
Old 17th May, 2005, 02:19 PM
Member/Contributer

Theres no market now fo simple software, haven't you been listening, HTPC is the future if you want it or not

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th May, 2005, 02:21 PM

last week I tested the Hauppauge dec-t 2000 for 2 days. this is a nice thing. you can watch on your tv without a pc or on a pc via USB and can record on it. software works correct with win xp. I didn't find a problem.
Old 17th May, 2005, 02:30 PM
Member/Contributer

the hauppage software works, it's just poor

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th May, 2005, 03:01 PM

Yeah, i've heard stories about the Hauppauge software - of delayed recording, taking a long time to change channels, awful, couter-intuitive interface. So, maybe the software you've suggested is the way to go GrahamGarside - I guess it'll make selecting my MP3's a lot easier too. Do you know if all the features will work with the remote that comes with the tuner?
NVidia 6800GT

AOA Team fah
Old 17th May, 2005, 03:23 PM
Member/Contributer

I think there is a plug in for it that lets you use and configure the remote. Check out the forums on there there should be a wad of stuff on the nova-t

http://meedio.com/forum/index.php

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th May, 2005, 03:59 PM

There is, thanks for your help. Trying to add it to the order i placed yesterday for the 6800GT with Scan.co.uk at the moment.

EDIT: Sorted, Scan replied to my email straight away saying the card has been added to my order. If only all the Etailers were as good as these guys!
NVidia 6800GT

AOA Team fah

Last edited by tottyspotter; 17th May, 2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 17th May, 2005, 05:37 PM
Member/Contributer

Scan! they can't even get my name right, hell they couldn't even get my sex right last time I went

They aren't bad though I suppose

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th May, 2005, 06:35 PM

Hehe, i have to admit, i had a problem with them once - ordered a motherboard from them and a week later I wondered why it hadn't turned up. Turned out they didn't have it in stock and it was end of line. Other than that though i've not had a problem!
NVidia 6800GT

AOA Team fah
Old 18th May, 2005, 06:07 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

I've got the old hauppage nova-t and its quite pants software wise, progdvb is much better (but only works with technotrend based boards) my housemate has the nebula tech cards and the software is much better imho