AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th July, 2005, 03:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikalcarbine257 Send a message via MSN to mikalcarbine257 Send a message via Yahoo to mikalcarbine257

6800GT 1.4V Vmod

I have a XFX 6800GT and I am currently overclocking it. It has an NV Silencer 5 Rev 1 slapped on that baby with some AS5. Idle temps at 441/1197 (is that a decent memory overclock? I think its low because of improper paste install) is 53/54C and load temp is around 75C. I was wondering, if I was to up the vCore to 1.4 on the card, how much more heat can I expect? I am going to try reseting the card and getting a lower idle temp, I've seen people with idle temps of 49@ stock, mine was 53+. Any input? Thx
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D | Bios Savior RD1 | A64 Venice (CBBLE 0517) | OCZ PC3200 Plat Rev2 (2-2-2-5) | XFX 6800GT PCIe | Dual 80G SATA Maxtor 6Y080M0/RAID 0 |OCZ Powerstream 520w | SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS w/ Creative THX 550 | WinTV PVR-250
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th July, 2005, 08:46 AM
Member/Contributer

I never got my 1.4V to work, just messed up the card. That is a hellova overclock, considering I run mine at 54o 415/1.05 and that is bearly stable. I got a puppy though I think. With water my card was in the 30's all the time pretty much, it did 430/1.05ish. I had the volt mod on, it still idled in the 30's the only thing was it wouldnt' bench or 3D with the volts, just messed it up is all. Basically I hardly saw any more degrees from 1.4, its 1.33 stock I thought. I put 1.5V on it and i think the thing gave a few more degrees idle(2-4) but I'd wager the load would be affected more, though I can't say for sure since mine didn't work.

If you really wanna see it fly, slap an 80W pelt into a secondary loop with a waterblock. When I had my pelt by itself it was 20degrees and load was 40 ish(pelt was getting overloaded so it stopped moving heat) and it autodetected mine at like 450/1.1, which is only impressive because its on my card. Temps are the key to overclocking 6800's I'm pretty sure, not really volts. But then again I did see 20mhz per .1v I think(idle only though, who knows whats stable), thats autodetect, not whats stable.

I got a 172W on hand if you or anyone here would like to play
Old 20th July, 2005, 08:50 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

I dont like pelts. They heat your case too much for my liking. Need high CFM 120mm fans to make it even remotely effective.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th July, 2005, 11:38 AM
Member/Contributer

It will probably add another ~5°C to your core and also heat up the vrm section of the card. Which with an NV5 isn't cooled and is blocked from getting any airflow so on the whole I'd say be hppy with what is a very good overclock and not risk potentially killing the card for a couple of percent more performance.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th July, 2005, 12:16 PM

I have a XFX 6800gt PCIe sli card and i have recently started to get a pop up everytime i boot into windows (after the welcome sign) a sign says senital x (power indicator) is sensing that your graphics card is not recieving sufficient enough power. You can click ok or troubleshoot , when i clicked trouble shoot it says be remedy the problem check the power supply is good enough for the card. The probelm is i have a enermax 600watt psu, asus a8n sli deluxe , A64 3500 winchester chip, wd raptor 74gb , corsair 1gb 3200 xms pro tiwn x. I have phoned the graphics card people up they think it might be the card, mobo or the psu. I think its the card myself, also even though my card is PCIe could i try the card in my other computer in the pci slot or will it bugger it up, just to see if it really is the card. I would appreciate the response
Old 20th July, 2005, 12:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

No, dont do that. PCIe cards, will ONLY fit in PCIe slots.

The same as AGP cards will ONLY fit in AGP slots.

And the same as how PCI cards willl ONLY fit in PCI slots.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 20th July, 2005, 01:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikalcarbine257 Send a message via MSN to mikalcarbine257 Send a message via Yahoo to mikalcarbine257

Thanks for the information, does anyone know of any good coolers other than an NVS5 that would cool better? I don't want to go water or pelt, but I am willing to change its air cooling. What about some custom copper cooling?
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D | Bios Savior RD1 | A64 Venice (CBBLE 0517) | OCZ PC3200 Plat Rev2 (2-2-2-5) | XFX 6800GT PCIe | Dual 80G SATA Maxtor 6Y080M0/RAID 0 |OCZ Powerstream 520w | SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS w/ Creative THX 550 | WinTV PVR-250
Old 20th July, 2005, 01:43 PM
Member/Contributer

Zalman VF700-Cu

It doesn't exhaust from the case like an NV5 (which is surprisingly ineffective) but it does a much better job of cooling memory and the card and a slightly better job of cooling the core than an NV5

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th July, 2005, 02:16 PM

It does? I rememeber somewhere that it wasn't as good as the NVS5, maybe I read wrong :P

Edit: I googled for some reviews with it on a 6800gt and couldn't find any, could anyone aid me in my conquest of cooling?

Last edited by mikalcarbine257; 20th July, 2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old 20th July, 2005, 03:45 PM
Member/Contributer

This is the AlCu variety on a 6800GT

http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=zalmanvf700alcu

Just knock 2-3°C off for the copper version

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th July, 2005, 04:32 PM
Steve Jobs

They are surprisingly good given their korean origin. I must say I have been unimpressed with the NV5 silencer. The thing takes up alot of space, and claims to do alot, while doing little more than a stock cooler (which isnt as bad as you would expect). The problem I have with zalman is their HSFs require unusually high maintenance. I had one of their initial flower designs in all copper, which oxidised and got covered in dust at an incredible rate, reducing its performance. I tried one of their P4 S478 coolers back when I had the 2.4C, and despite the performance, it too needed cleaning far too often.

No more so than a thermalright or any other condensed fin HSF though, but it just is harder to clean the zalman ones.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 20th July, 2005, 04:47 PM

I've got the NV5 and as dsio said, it didn't seem to do much at first. However, on my case you have the option to put two side mounted fans in. After i'd installed one of these in the space closer to the back of the case, hey presto, considerable drop in temperatures.

I think the problem is that it just didn't get enough air through because the main exhaust fan was being greedy and sucking most of the air out through the top of the case, as when I tested I noticed that if i turned the voltage on the exhaust fan down, peversely the temperature of the GPU went down (no, the fan wasn't wired up in reverse!). Although my PSU's warning light came on (it's fanless) as there was no air passing underneath it.

However, have heard many good things on the Zalman and I have it's big brother on my CPU, so definitely worth looking at.
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Old 20th July, 2005, 05:03 PM
Member/Contributer

The flower design does gather dust like some kind of incredibally efficient dust gathering device.

I'd say the NV5 is a lot lot better than a stock cooler, I get load temps of around 50-55°C at less noise than a stock cooler. Even turning the fan voltage down to 20% at which point it's near silent it only reaches 80°C
But it does do pretty much nothing for case temps even though it exhausts the heat from the case and the ram cooling is very poor coupled with the lack of vrm cooling which is why given the choice I would go for a VF700

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th July, 2005, 05:27 PM

I have heard of people getting higher mem clocks without the NV5 because it heats up the ram from the temps from teh GPU. As for the dust, I clean my system out with compressed air about once a month, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. How about that thermalright V-1 or something, at first it was compatible with a 6800gt, I even saw a review with it on one, but then they removed it from their website =0
Old 20th July, 2005, 06:33 PM
Member/Contributer

Depending on which NV5 you have the memory cooling is either poor or aweful. Mine has little rubberlike pads making contact and I honestly think they make things worse. Some have the copper base shaped to fit them, but the workmanship is far from perfect meaning you need loads of goop to make contact or worse, they prevent correct gpu contact.

If you keep your system clean dust shouldn't be a huge problem, and even though not as bad as the VF700, the NV5 collects a fair amount of dust and isn't as easy to clean

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th July, 2005, 09:10 PM

I have rev1, the copper pads, but the clearance suxxors and I have to load it up with AS5
Old 13th October, 2005, 08:35 AM

I just got my 6800 GT a few days ago and am still wowed by the graphics (Coming from a 9700pro). This is a refurb Newegg Leadtek AGP A400 that when I received posted like the memory was bad (colors all over etc.) but Leadtek was kind enough to replace it under warranty so I made out pretty well. I am REALLY happy with Leadteks RMA service, I had even told them that I received it as a refurb and they told me it was covered anyway..the day after they received mine they sent me a new one, box, cd's and everything.

Sorry, I digress, badly, I'm just still trying to get over these graphics and am so happy with this card. I downloaded the Luna demo and am still in total awe.

At any rate, heh, I have been able to get to Ultra speeds 400/1100 without any problem. The memory a little more but I think after I replace the fan on the card and apply some AS things should be cooler and I can go a bit further with that.

I understand extra cooling doesn't really help in regards to the GPU though, one needs voltage also. Has anyone been able to find a workable software/bios mod for this? And here is a stupid question...does bringing up the voltage on the agp bus do anything at all? That's something I've never experimented with. Thank you much
Jon
Old 13th October, 2005, 12:59 PM

Funny thing you replied to this post, I had forgotten I posted it. I just got my new Zalman VF700-CU and it performs pretty nice. My idle temps range from 46-50 and load is around 63 (this is with a 441/1151 clock). I want to see if I can push more now, so I want to do a volt mod. I've been doing research at Xtremesystems and people who run 1.4 24/7 for more than 4 months, their cards seem to die. This is assumed to be because of overheating of the power mosfets and chips. I wonder if taking off the stock heatsink on the mosfets and reapplying some AS5 would help, maybe put a 60mm fan on it? I've heard this gives great results. Any input?

As for a bios modder or modded bios Darkest, I have link at my house in my favorites that can help you, I can't exactly think of what the website is but I'll let you know when I get home.
Old 13th October, 2005, 03:09 PM

Just re-read your post:

I wouldn't volt mod if you are using stock cooling

I have heard uppin the AGP voltage .1 V does help, I haven't tested it for mine is PCIe
Old 13th October, 2005, 03:44 PM

Cool, thank you I'd like to check out what kind of luck people are have with the BIOS flash, though it does make me wonder as they don't have the 2nd set of rails. Part of me can't help but wonder if that is really even needed though.

As for the stock cooler, the A400 GT and Ultra have the same HS, it royally kicks ass and is one of the reasons I picked this card. There is even a copper sink on the mosfets that could probably benefit from some AS. I think I'm using three, I can't find it, I think my roommate stole it in which case I'll have to kill him.

Here is a link to picks of the HS, it's pretty impressive, it's just a real low power fan from what I understand and that should be easily fixed

Newegg pics