AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th August, 2005, 06:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

nForce4 and Crossfire..maybe?

Is there *any* chance that with a future BIOS update users with nForce4 series chipset motherboards will be able to use crossfire? Because I have an X800 and I'd like to use crossfire without buying a new motherboard, which I'm not going to do..

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th August, 2005, 01:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Daishi Send a message via MSN to Daishi

Doubtfull.... Crossfire is an actual chipset that enables you to use the ATI "SLI" instead of the bridge connector that nvidia uses.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
eVGA Nforce 4 SLI Mobo
1GB Corsair XMS Pc3200
2x WD Raptors in Raid 0
eVGA Geforce 7800 GT x2
Audigy 2 ZS
Logitech z-5500
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th August, 2005, 01:51 AM

Doesn't crossfire use a little connector on the back similar to a bridge chip? Although, I don't see why nVidia would ever allow ATI's crossfire to work on thier chipset, but I just thought I'd ask.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 15th August, 2005, 02:14 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

all the chipset does is replicate the info down the 2 sli channels rather than the single channel theoretically, it could, and should work, and would only require the proper driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi
Crossfire is an actual chipset that enables you to use the ATI "SLI" instead of the bridge connector that nvidia uses
Actually, this is not true. Ndivia Sli has the gpu's directly communticating through the sli bridge, and the master card merges the frames together. In ATI's Crossfire, there is a seperate chip that merges the frames together. ATI uses a special DVI connector called a DMS connector to have the two cards communicate together. ATI claimed thier solution did not need a brigde pcb, and they are corecct, in a way, as it's a cable, and the connection between the cards is external to the GPU's, hence the possible better performance via Crossfire. this function is independant of the data sent to each pci-e slot.
Old 15th August, 2005, 02:18 AM

So, you're saying this is definetly possible with a driver and the DMS cable?

AOA Team fah

Old 15th August, 2005, 02:36 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

You bet. It's only the driver that really sees the cards/chipsets as ati or nvida cards/chipsets, other than by ASIC id's, by which the driver is assigned. If it didn't work, then i would not be able to use my x850xtpe in the bottom slot of my dfi board @ 8x pci-e

good luck getting the appropriate driver tho. This functionality is not something to base any purchases on.

Last edited by cadaveca; 15th August, 2005 at 02:57 AM.