AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th August, 2005, 08:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to tbourner

Hi - noob needs help.

Hi everyone, I need some help was sent here by another forum.

My mate is trying to run a Toshiba 20VL44G TV through a normal 15 pin VGA lead to an ATI Radeon 128Mb (9200 series) graphics card. But it seems to be using basic drivers and the screen is 'fuzzy'.
I had a quick look at the drivers and stuff but I'm not exactly 'in the know' with that kind of thing - he only asked because he knows I work with computers.

Anyone know this TV and why it wouldn't be working properly?
Special drivers for the TV or reload ATI drivers?

He said it's got a standard monitor 15 pin lead on the TV, but I haven't looked at the back so don't know the set up.

Would be grateful for any help.
Old 17th August, 2005, 08:54 AM
Steve Jobs

OK, I am fairly confident that your problem is just in a resolution mismatch.

Make sure you are running a resolution of 800x600 on the 9200 series video card. Now this is needed because it is the native resolution of the Toshiba monitor.

From what I have read, that Toshiba screen does not have a 15 pin VGA (DSUB) connction on it. It only has SCART and S-Video.

I assume you are using S-Video now.

You need to configure it to output at 800X600 resolution in the driver control panel, and play with the settings until it comes clear. S-video will never be extremely clear but it should be reasonable.

Keep in mind this is a TV, not a monitor, so you cant expect monitor grade picture quality.

So, 1: Set output to 800x600, 2: check to see what the connection is at the back of the TV, and 3: get back to us with the results!

By the way, who sent you here just out of interest?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th August, 2005, 08:55 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

make sure screen resolution is set to 800x600, as i beleive that is the max for that tv. Other than that, nake sure you have the proper scart cable. svideo is not a match for 800x600, and even @ 1024x758, svideo displays on tv's are "hazy".
Old 17th August, 2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
By the way, who sent you here just out of interest?
It was a bloke who's just joined called Daston, reasonably new member on there (Supra forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Other than that, nake sure you have the proper scart cable. svideo is not a match for 800x600, and even @ 1024x758, svideo displays on tv's are "hazy".
Scart? Isn't that a big connector used for VHS VCRs and stuff? In a graphics card???

I need to get round the back of his TV and PC and take a gander then really, see what's really going on. He's even less knowledgable than me so him telling me it was a 15 pin din could be BS!!

Cheers for the advice so far I'll see what I can find out.
Old 17th August, 2005, 12:54 PM
Steve Jobs

It could well be a 15 pin connector because SCART is close to that. But I would suspect its more likely S-Video.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August, 2005, 06:40 PM

It's definitely a 15 pin VGA lead, there's a male VGA connector on the back of the TV.
So I'm guessing he got the model number wrong - don't know what it is now.

Haven't tried fiddling with settings for 800x600 yet.
Old 22nd August, 2005, 03:17 PM

SCART attempts to make connecting video devices together much simpler, by providing one plug that contains all the necessary signals, and is standard across different manufacturers. SCART makes connecting such devices very simple, because one cable can connect any two SCART-compatible devices, and the connector is designed so that you cannot insert it incorrectly. Devices with multiple SCART connectors can pass the signals unchanged when not active, which allows daisy-chaining of multiple signal sources into a single TV socket.

RGB signals, which were SCART's strong point for many years, are getting less useful today, now that the comparable (and, except for video game console use, slightly superior) component video signal format has been introduced. It also turns out that with the recent introduction of DVD and digital video RGB gained quality advantage again, and is probably the best way to enjoy the high resolution and high color separation contained in those new video sources.

Scart is a 21 pin connector. So not sure what your speaking of when you say 15 pin!
Dual Channel
AMD 4800 64 Venice Processor
(4) Sata Seagate 160 gig Drives (raid array)
(1) Maxtor External 120 gig USB 2.0
SoundBlaster X-fi Platinum
Bose Desktop companions with Sub Woofer
Koolance PC3 Case (all hardware water/gylcol cooled)
Temps: Unloaded 93 (F) Loaded 101 (F)
Samsung Cd-R/RW 52x24x52
Memorex DVD-R/RW 8X
WinXP SP2

Last edited by SkyDiver; 22nd August, 2005 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Additonal