AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th August, 2005, 10:22 AM

Question Modding an Altec Lansing ATP3

first off dont know if i placed this in the rigth section but if i did sorry and asked to be move to the rigth section

My question is, has anyone try to open the satellite speakers on this system, i checked on the bottom and remove the rubber gromets thinking screw will be underneath them but sadly no. So i assume that this thing is clipped together and glued.

What i need from you fellow modders is best way to open this speakers without wrecking nething

Post it here, Post a link, or watever

Do this for me and i will Post a Complete modding guide for this system
modding guide will include
- lighting up the satellite speakers
- put more ummmph to the system(pretty much make it louder)
- changing LED(tips on how to fit 5mm led into a smaller system if a 3mm led is not available)

And also any modding guide you need to know about cases

Thanks in advance guys

Havok
Old 29th August, 2005, 03:53 PM
Steve Jobs

Very very unlikely that it is glued at all, I would be inclined to think clipped.

The starting point is usually the cord. Look at where the wire goes into the speaker, because it will be a seam. Spread the seam at the cord, and look for the first clip. Break it if you have to. Once you have broken the first clip or two, you should still have enough clips left to keep it in one piece, but you will have enough bend and purchase on it to see how the remaining clips or screws work.

That is definately the best way to go. From the wiring, simply follow the wires internally to the speakers. These are designed to be at some level servicable, or at least possible to install the speakers in the first place, so that is how they will come apart.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th August, 2005, 04:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

I have a set of Logitech X-530's. I wasn't being very careful while moving the things and ended up pushing in a couple of the little things (see image below) on the speakers. Not sure what they're called. Does this affect sound quality? Even if it doesn't, the things look horrid. Is there any way to undo this without destroying the speaker?
Attached Thumbnails
Modding an Altec Lansing ATP3-x530-center-speaker.png  

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th August, 2005, 04:49 PM
Steve Jobs

They dont actually do anything. All they are there for is to stop air moving from the cone surface on the front of the speaker to the back, through the centre.

Some speakers have stickers there, some have funny bits of metal, and some have little sticking out things like yours.

Logitech calls them "Phase Plugs". They do a whole lot of sod all. I have a very expensive set of bose speakers which I picked up second hand, and both of them have the centre points, domes in this case, pushed in a little on the tweeters. They told me that I could get it out by putting a soldering iron briefly on the centre of it, without going near the cone, it may pop out, but you risk melting or damaging the speakers.

I asked BOSE about it, and they simply said dont bother about it. They have no impact whatsoever on the sound quality or frequencey response of the speakers. It looks ugly, but undoing it will definately cause greater damage than leaving it.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 29th August, 2005, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Thanks. Well, I guess it's not too bad. I'm glad they don't mess with the sound quality.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 29th August, 2005, 06:54 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
They dont actually do anything. All they are there for is to stop air moving from the cone surface on the front of the speaker to the back, through the centre.
They are highly important, but for a really simple reason. They stop dust/debris from getting in the gap between the magnet and the voice coil. If that happens, the dust/debris can rub against the coil and magnet and adds a nasty rasping noise to the speaker.
Old 29th August, 2005, 09:09 PM

Thank god for my Z5500's having a Metal tweeter middle bit.
AMD64 Socket 939 3500 Winchester + Coolermaster Aquagate @ 2.8GHz
ATI Sapphire X850XT @ 600/600 + Arctic Cooling Rev.2 ATI 5
2x512MB Matched GeiL Ultra-X PC3200+
1x 120GB Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9
1x 300GB Maxtor Maxline III 16MB Cache + Vantec Vortex
Audigy2 ZS Gamers Edition + Logitech Z-5500s
Logitech MX1000 + K/B Wireless Desktop
19" Digimate TFT x2 RR - 8ms
Old 29th August, 2005, 09:21 PM

thanks dsio for that imma try using that technic in a bit here
Old 30th August, 2005, 12:26 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
They are highly important, but for a really simple reason. They stop dust/debris from getting in the gap between the magnet and the voice coil. If that happens, the dust/debris can rub against the coil and magnet and adds a nasty rasping noise to the speaker.
Yea, thats the other thing, they are called dust plugs for that reason.

On some of the better (and older) speakers I have here, some also just have a screw in the centre of them, which allows you to remove and reposition the cone in relation to the voice coil. These days everything is a throw away item, so nobody repairs speakers.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 3rd September, 2005, 02:42 AM

dsio cant seem to get the speakers open without wrecking the case it self

has anyone tried to open this up pls it will be a great help
Old 23rd January, 2008, 06:38 PM

Hi,
Does anyone in the mean time managed to open this Altec Lansing ATP3 speaker? I'm trying to do the same without success. Many thanks, Liviu
Old 24th January, 2008, 12:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

dsio...where are you? your public awaits