AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th September, 2005, 07:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to saquib

Unhappy SPDIF Out & External Receiver

Hey guys, i am having a serious problem here. My internal/mobo's sound card which is Creative SB Live! 24 bit (Mobo: MSI K8N SLI Platinum) has both Optical and coaxial Digital output apart from its 7.1 channel analog outs. The problem is, whenever i use any of those 2 SPDIF outs and connect to my Home theatre receiver (Yamaha RX-V350); the receiver always detects 2 channel IN!!! When i connect my receiver using the same cables to my DVD player or PlayStation 2, it works just perfect. I even tried different settings in soundcard's control panel. It always shows the same. Could anyone please help me with this!

Attached Images

Old 7th September, 2005, 07:42 AM
Steve Jobs

Drivers up to date on the sound card, and which drivers are you using? OEM or downloaded?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th September, 2005, 07:46 AM

the ones dat caem with my product. m using em. i can go to 5.1 channel modes on my control panel.. but only L/R 2 channels are going inside my receiver.
Old 7th September, 2005, 09:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to benighted Send a message via MSN to benighted

Are you getting 2 channel sound playing a DVD? If you are then you might have a problem, make sure the DVD player is set to use SPDIF.

If it is a game you are trying to get surround sound on, that doesnt work with SPDIF because games don't have on-the-fly digital decoding, for that you have to buy adapters for the multi-in (1/8" to RCA male) like I did.

Anything other than DVD playback is decoded as 2 channel PCM, thats normal.

Buy AVG Anti-Virus and Support AOA!!
AOA Team fah
Silent water cooled system:
Zalman Reserator 1.1
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice @ 2400MHZ
Epox 9NDA3+
2GB GSkill PC3200
Maxtor 10 SATA X2 RAID0
eVGA 6800 Ultra 256MB

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th September, 2005, 01:14 PM

everything is being trasnfered in PCM mode. and i tried spdif through dvd playing software as well. same thing. powerdvd/nvdvd - for both i used direct spdif outs, not helping.

but i came out with a odd description. i also have a Audigy 2 ZS installed. my Audigy book shows with its on the card spdif output (where the port is something like a stereo jack port, just like the other channel output ports) i can connectto different CREATIVE HT Systems. It DOES NOT show any Receivers. But it also shows with additional Front Panel i can have Optical SPDIF out (just like my Sb Live 24 mobo does) and connect toreceivers for "Digital Music" playback. It never says for movie playback, they are only showed on Creative Home Theatre speakers.

So i think, since my built in sound card is also from Creative, it also requires Creative Home Theatre for 5.1 channel. The reason could be, the mobo's sound processor (SB Live 24) before sending the sound, already processes (decodes) the sound and the send to the receiver.

I dont know, this indeed is unwanted.
Old 7th September, 2005, 02:22 PM

okay, i got why the problem was there! and finally fixed it. see i use both SB Augigy 2 ZS, and Sb Live 24 bit (on board). i jsut wanted to use the on board audio device to use the optical output and use my receiver.

The problem was during driver installation 2 drivers conflicted in DEVICE CONTROL section (this appears in Control Panel). So i could only see DEVICE CONTROL for SB Audigy 2 ZS. But Device control is extremely important, cuz here I can determine if the DTS/DD would be Decoded Internaly or sent as RAW data through SPDIF for external decoding. Ofcourse I wanted to ahve the second one. But having no option for Device Controls for my SB Live 24, i couldnt do anything. I uninstalled Audigy 2 Driver. Re installed SB Live 24 drivers and the device control was there now. So i selected "SPDIF Passthrough" / No internal deconding for my onoard drivers. now the receiver could receive 5.1 channel digital input and staretd working fine!

I reinstalled my SB Audigy 2 ZS drivers afterwards, and now both the cardsare working properly, and I do see both of the Device control option in Control Panel.

Attached Thumbnails
SPDIF Out & External Receiver-device-control.jpg   SPDIF Out & External Receiver-control-panel.jpg  
Old 7th September, 2005, 04:32 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Well done on getting that sorted! Problems like these always seem somewhat obscure in their solution. Windows doesn't yet appear to handle digital audio very well.