AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th September, 2005, 08:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to saquib

460 watts enuff for 7800GTX SLI ?

The retail box recomends usin at least 500 watts psu for 7800GTX in SLI. I use an Enermax 480 watts PSU. Can i go for SLI?

Im using 2 hard drives, 1 floppu, 1 dvd rom, 1 cd writer, sb live audigy 2 zs, and 6 extra cooling fans with 2 neon interior lights. cpu is winchester 3500+ on MSI K8N SLI Neo 4 Platinum (NF4 SLI Chipset) on 4x256MB Kingston PC3200 DDR400 RAMs.

I really dont want to chnage my PSU. Need some suggestions!

Attached Images

Last edited by saquib; 16th September, 2005 at 03:45 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th September, 2005, 09:07 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

got noone for ya. should be OK stock...but don't expect too much.

Here's the thing tho...if your PSU is not enough to handle the load, as it slowly dies from the strain, chances are it's gonna take other parts out with it when it blows.

Don't buy top-end parts, and skimp on a PSU. That's like running a top-fuel dragster on vegetable oil...guaranteed to give off smoke.
Old 16th September, 2005, 12:18 PM

this site: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp shows dat i need arnd 450 watts for dat. 2 7800GTXs take 225 watts, Winchester takes 67 watts, audigy takes 7 watts, 4 ddr rams take 40 watts, 2 7200rpm hdd take 30 watts and the extra fans+lights take arnd 25 watts at most, the dvd rom takes arnd 25 watts and cdwriter arnd 20 watts, 1 floppy is s'posed to take arnd 5 watts... according to dis psu requirements stays below 500. so shud i be ok wid 480watts?
Old 16th September, 2005, 01:00 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Those are overall wattages, your 480w PSU may have a high combined wattage but it may not have the required power on say the 12v rail(for example), it SHOULD run an sli setup ok, however you run the risk of it either not running or although the chances are slim you could end up nuking the lot.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th September, 2005, 01:05 PM
Steve Jobs

A 480W Enermax is more than enough really. The GTXs arnt as power heavy as the top 6800s un SLI, so there shouldnt be an issue.

By 500W, they are talking about a 500W generic or cheap PSU. A 480W Enermax will easily outperform an el'cheapo 600+W unit.

Trust me, you have the ability to go SLI without too heavily straining that PSU.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 16th September, 2005, 01:26 PM
Member/Contributer

It's the 12V rail that does it, and Enermax units have good 12V rails

Which model enermax is it?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th September, 2005, 03:12 PM

Exclamation

i am sorry, its a 460watt PSU. But i still think it should be enuff. and it did tok me a lot of money than many other 500 watts, dats y i really dont feel like changing it. Just dat 2 7800GTXs take 225 watts, and since i use Winchester core, my 3500+ takes arnd 68 watts. The power consumption is not that high. I dont really tend to buy a NEW PSU for extra 40watts and pay all the money, cuz this one wud just be sitting idle.
My model is:

Enermax : EG465P-VE(FMA) => 460W

Specs are as follows: (from net)
OUTPUT for H/D or CD-ROM : 5 Heads
OUTPUT for H/D SATA : 2 Heads
OUTPUT for VGA (Extra) : 1 Head
OUTPUT for Floppy : 2 Heads

(output spec attached!!)

Support intel Prescott P4 and AMD Athlon 64/64 FX Processor
ATX12V V1.2 compatible
Ring core provides effective shielding to prevent EMI leakage to appliance attached to the same AC source, i.e. wall plug
Flexible plastic mesh tube for better cable routing
Thermal control low noise power supply
SATA Power connectors provided
Ball bearing fans (92mm & 80mm)
92mm fan : speed controlled by thermal sensor
80mm fan : speed manual adjustable(A) & output rpm signal for monitoring(FM) through BIOS or software.
Temp feedback circuit on 9cm for to avoid overheating under improper rpm setting.
Attached Thumbnails
480 watts enuff for 7800GTX SLI ?-enermax465p-ve-fma-24pinz.jpg  

Last edited by saquib; 16th September, 2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old 16th September, 2005, 04:50 PM
AOA Staff

Enermax is quality stuff..
Old 16th September, 2005, 04:51 PM

135w per GTX, i think, under load, overclocked.

Listen..yes it may work, no it may not kill anything...but listen...all those guys with CRAZY overclocks...850w or higher PSU's.

Power is very important if you plan to overclock.

Enermax makes good PSU's...i'm using a 535w one myself. but what worries me is that you only have 280w on the 12v line..that's a bit steep for overclocked GTX'es
Old 16th September, 2005, 06:19 PM

Talking

err... well ill be a nice guy and wont overclock my gpu ( i swear) ... i hope then i wont have to worry abt risks. u see another 535watts enermax PSU + another 7800GTX wud really be too much for my wallet.. den i might just wait for PS3 and use the less amnt of bucks. if i get anothet 7800GTX, i dont think dere wud be anytthing for quite sometime dat wud make jerky performance. besides i aint any kind of serious overclocker anyway, just a bit of driver tweaks and slight cpu overclocks.. dats all i go for. so i guess i can rely on my Enermax 'eh? Thanx for all the support!
Old 16th September, 2005, 06:32 PM

if you have one GTX, and only 1gb of ram, you are not doing yourself a favor by getting a second card..you'll still have the same issues.

A more than worthy upgrade may be another gig of ram...i'm running 4x512mb OCZ gold..and i tell you..1600x1200 was not playable in BF2...used to get hesitation, etc, even @ 1024x768 with the details maxed it would be choppy for the first round or so... but with 2gb....

it's amazing.

Buy some ram.
Old 16th September, 2005, 06:39 PM

Exclamation

yeah... for some personal advantages, lets just say i can get 4 512MBs.. at least i wont pay for dat from my pocket. and ofcourse, without 2GB ram BF2 sux.. even wid 1 GTX i can get better perf wid 2GB RAM. my plan of gettin the 2nd 7800GTX is arnd dec/jan. just making sure my budget holds everythin... if it exceeds too much, i might just switch to PS3. dats y i need to kno if the current Enermax wud do or not dats all!

well, back to the main question ive been askin here: can i depend on this PSU for 7800GTX in SLI? No overclocking will be performed! Just need to know that. See specs show i need 235 watts for two 7800GTXs. If i have 280watts on the 12v rail, isnt it really ok?

Last edited by saquib; 17th September, 2005 at 05:28 AM.