AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th September, 2005, 11:49 PM

No sound in some games after upgrading to an Audigy 2

I recently bought myself an Audigy 2 Value to replace the crappy on board sound I was using. The improvement is great, but it seems that after the upgrade, there is absolutely no sound in a lot of games.

I seem to not get any sound (at all, it's just silent) in:

BF2 Demo
FEAR SP Demo
Far Cry
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

The sound is excellent in all other games. I'm using the latest Creative drivers, I uninstalled the old drivers before installing the new ones, and I've disabled on-board sound via BIOS. Any Ideas?
Old 1st October, 2005, 05:15 AM
Steve Jobs

uninstall the creative drivers using driver cleaner pro, then install the NGO modified Creative Audigy drivers, choosing music/DVD rather than gaming when prompted.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st October, 2005, 05:38 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Are you plugged into the black or the green port on the back of the card?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st October, 2005, 10:43 AM

I've got the Creative T5900's, 5.1's, hence I'm plugged into orange, black and green ports on the back of the card.

Dsio, I'll give it a go.
Old 1st October, 2005, 11:25 AM

Well, the sound does now seem to be of better quality, but I still have no sound in those games. I'm currently reinstalling PoP:WW, hopefully that'll sort it out. It's a bit of an inconveniance, but I'll be happy so long as it works.
Old 1st October, 2005, 11:32 AM
Steve Jobs

Could it be something in the game config? Do these games require you to configure your speaker setup or audio? Could it be that a 5.1 option has been selected in the game that has decided to use the digital 5.1 out rather than the analog 5.1 out that you are currently using?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 1st October, 2005, 12:15 PM

Ah, I got it sorted. Because I'm using my projector, which is on the wall opposite to the one my monitor is up against, the stereo is obviously reversed when using the projector. Since I normally use the projector when surround matters, I just switched all of the cables plugged into the woofer, to correct it. However the front center was still in the wrong place, and the cable was too short to move it all the way to the other side of my room, where the projected image is.

So I had used the creative console to put the volume of this speaker to 0%, so I just had a 4.1 system. This worked great until I played BF2, where the front speaker is used a lot. I had a lot of sound problems because a lot of sounds directly infront of the player were not coming out. I fixed that issue by going into the creative console, and just switching my setup from 5.1 to 4/4.1.

I just discovered that that was what has been causing all my problems. BF2 liked it, but it seems a lot of games, like the ones listed above, refuse to send anything to the speakers if they're set up as 4/4.1. So I've just put them back to 5.1, and unplugged the front center speaker from the woofer, since the control panel that comes with the NGO modified drivers seems older than the previous one I was using, and I cant find a way to alter the individual speaker volumes.

Thanks for your help, dsio!