AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th October, 2005, 09:23 PM

Black Screen of Death?

True, for me at least. I've been getting random BSOD crashes playing B&W2 and Chronicles of Riddick. The symptom is rather a Black Screen of Death though I would say It occurs some 5-10 minutes into the games:

The screen goes black and there's "no signal" on my DVI-connected LCD. I can't do anything but hard-restart the pc.

I'm using the latest 81.85 drivers. Is it them, or the card, or crappy game programming?

Strange thing is I've only had this problem with these two particular games, other new ones such as Fable run just fine and never randomly crash on me.

I would appreciate any suggestion from you guys. I would especially like to know what exactly does it mean when this monitor blacking out thing happens instead of the classic crash-->computer restart.

Many thanks in advance.

P.S. My specs:

Epox 8rda+ rev2.1 --- Athlon XP 2500+@3000+ --- 2x512MB PC3200 DDR400 --- ASUS V9999GT/TD 128 DVI ---> -- Neovo F-419 19" LCD --- SoundStorm SPDIF out ---> 5.1 Creative Inspire GD580
Old 21st October, 2005, 07:34 PM

Hmmmm. Does it always happen? Also does it always happen at the same time into the game? Is there still game sounds/music? Does your computer just hang or shut down?

Could you try another monitor?

When a VDU displays No Signal it means it's not receiving a signal from a source of input. Therefore there could be a problem with the either the cable on the VDU or the VDU itself. Or possibly there is faulty connectors on the card itself. Try another monitor and see if you get the same problems.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st October, 2005, 11:13 PM

Yea, tomorrow I will try another connection (RGB) or even another monitor.

It happens randomly, but very early into the games. the comp hangs and there's no sounds/music, just the black screen.
Old 22nd October, 2005, 05:35 AM

yea my computer restarts itself with the new drivers like 5-10 minutes into games...maybe its related i dunno...
-Intel E6400 2.13 @ 3.044ghz 380fsb w/ zalman cnps9500-led L626A472
-EVGA 8800gtx
-2 WD caviar se16 250gb raid 0
-OCZ GameXStream 700
-Creative x-fi xtrememusic
-Samsung 226bw "S"
-all on Vista Ultimate...

my 2006 m roadster is still faster though
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th October, 2005, 11:51 PM

Black screen of death

I've been having the same problem with the Fear demo and also the GT legends demo. It seems to happen on graphics intensive games. I can play Dungeon Siege 2 and Dawn of War - Winter Assault with no trouble.

It only started after I installed a new XFX 6800LE card and unlocked it. I've tried 3 different sets of XG drivers and even reset the pipelines back to 8 and 4 None of it works, so I've come to the conclusion that it's down to my PSU, which is only a 300 or 350 watt. I've ordered a new 480 watt Tagan silent PSU which should be here tomorrow or Wednesday, so we'll see if I'm right.

I'm considering getting a new cooler for my 6800, ether a thermalright xp120 if I'm flush or an Arctic n vidia 5 if I'm not. The only problem is that I managed to cream cracker a card once when trying to take off the old cooler. I wouldn't mind a new cpu cooler too. Trouble is I get heaps off my wife for ' wasting ' money on the computer. We are moving to Spain sometime in the not too distant future and I want to do a mega upgrade before we go so I don't want to spend too much now.

When I get the new PSU I will post the results.
Maxtor 160 Gb S-ATA + 60 Gb
Akasa 460 Watt ultra quiet PSU
Creative Audigy Platinum ( modded to Audigy 4 )
XFX 6800LE Gamer Edition Unlocked to 16 and 6, and clocked to 350 and 750.
Creative 5+1 speakers
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse ( superb if you have big hands )
Hanns-G 19 inch wide screen LCD monitor
Aquamark 58567
GFX 8724
CPU 8905
Old 26th October, 2005, 12:54 AM

Hi, well I fitted the new power supply and it helped a lot, but still not entirely. I reset the card to 8 and 4 and now it seems fine. I tried that before and it didn't help, so it must have been a combination of the two. I think I will start slowly and keep unlocking the pipelines until it starts to fall over again.
Creative 5+1 speakers
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
Aquamark 58567
GFX 8724
CPU 8905
Old 26th October, 2005, 01:04 AM

How much quieter is your total system now that you've got a 'silent' power supply?
Old 27th October, 2005, 10:34 PM

Not as much as I'd hoped. Mind you there's still the cpu fan and the graphics card fans. I've got a Zalman quiet cpu cooler which I've had for ages and I thought that while I'd got the computer open I'd fit it. Could I get the old one off? Could I hell. It's a standard Amd64 754 cooler, I read the mobo instructions for fitting and tried to reverse them but it took me ages to get the locking lever unlocked, and even then I couldn't see how to get any further. Space is a bit tight and I didn't want to fubar anything.

Anyone got any ideas?
Creative 5+1 speakers
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
Aquamark 58567
GFX 8724
CPU 8905
Old 28th October, 2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper69
Hi, well I fitted the new power supply and it helped a lot, but still not entirely. I reset the card to 8 and 4 and now it seems fine. I tried that before and it didn't help, so it must have been a combination of the two. I think I will start slowly and keep unlocking the pipelines until it starts to fall over again.

Hi and thanks for the valuable input. I'm too considering a new PSU to replace my Chieftec 360W before anything else. Will let you know if and when I get down to it- money being the only problem atm.
Old 2nd November, 2005, 06:03 PM

Well it's done it again, another black screen of death. This time it was on a demo of Age of Empires 3 even though I've played the demo of Call of Duty 2 and the full Quake 4 with no problems. I noticed that I was getting 8 short beeps, so I looked it up and that is the bios error code for " Display memory Read/Write test failure ", so I'm wondering if there's a problem with my graphics card. I might put my old FX5900 back in for a while and see if the problem goes away. I might contact Overclockers too.
Creative 5+1 speakers
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
Aquamark 58567
GFX 8724
CPU 8905
Old 2nd November, 2005, 10:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Are you overclocking your V-card? I was seeing the same black frozen screen, turned down the over clock on my cards memory (6800GT) and this seems to have done it for me.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 6th November, 2005, 03:03 PM

No, I was mildly overclocking it but I set it back to standard. However I have just noticed that my new power supply has dual 12volt outputs but they are both 14 amp max load and the one is 16 amps peak load. I'm not sure if that's enough.
Creative 5+1 speakers
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
Aquamark 58567
GFX 8724
CPU 8905
Old 6th November, 2005, 04:12 PM

This is ridiculous, I have spent hours playing Quake 4 and the demo of Call of Duty 2, both graphics intensive, without a problem but if I play Age of Empires 3 ( demo ) or The Suffering 2 ( I know, but I enjoyed the first one, even if it got slagged in the reviews ) the damn thing crashes. The only non standard thing is the XG81.25 drivers, surely they can't be causing the problem. Anyway I've tried 3 or 4 other sets of drivers. I can't believe that it's the card or PSU if it can play Quake4 or CoD2. The only things left to try are to change the drivers back to Nvidia ones and/or swap back to my FX5900 card. I'm beginning to wish I'd never started this upgrade, it worked slow before but at least it was stable.
Creative 5+1 speakers
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
Aquamark 58567
GFX 8724
CPU 8905
Old 22nd November, 2005, 08:47 AM

Since I started this thread, lemme tell you how I fared with this BSOD problem of mine. Well, after RMAing my ASUS vidcard for a new one I have tested FEAR last night and got NO crashes whatsoever during the odd hour of play.

Looking good so far

edit: Forgot to mention I have also upgraded to 81.94 nvidia drivers, but I don't believe it was a driver issue in the first place.
Old 22nd November, 2005, 09:31 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Known issue with the design of the 6800. There are still some cards out there on the market for this problem. It's to do with the capacitors at the end of the card near the molex connector, or where the molex connector should be.

Seems that the capacitors were a bad batch on some cards, and when vidmem gets fully loaded, the card blackscreens. Black and White2, and FEAR, are both good programs to use to test for this.

Some maufacturer's disabled pipes on these boards to slow down the card enough as to not get a bluescreen. Chances are you need to replace some part on your card for full proper "enabled" pixel pipelines and vertex shaders, and some times the mod can kill the card, as soldring multi-layer PCB's is not always easy.

Some users have been able to overcome the issue by turning fastwrites off in the bios. If you want a real explanation as to why it works, take it up with the cardmaker.

The monitor going int osuspend mode is a definate sign that something is wrong, but please bear in mind that it could also be a chipset/bios/driver issue.

Posta close-up pic of the capacitors by the molex of your card.
Old 22nd November, 2005, 10:16 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Sorin had similar issues and it was his videocard. I think yours is defective too!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 22nd November, 2005, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
Sorin had similar issues and it was his videocard. I think yours is defective too!
Talking to me? My problem seems to be solved, I got a new card and it doesn't crash.

BTW, cadaveca, nteresting stuff about the faulty capacitors you wrote there. Thanks for the insight.