AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th February, 2002, 02:08 AM
eobard

Vid card question

Is this any good: "MSI GF2-Ti Pro 64MB AGP OEM". If yes, why? If no, why not?
Old 27th February, 2002, 04:08 AM
Banned

Gotta link? core/mem speeds? etc

MSI cards have a good reputation, but you'll need to be sure of the specs and even see if they are publishing the memory speed (4 ns, etc)
Old 27th February, 2002, 05:37 AM

GF2Tis are decent cards. My roommate has on, and it r0xx0rz. But I'd still check the memory and core timings, just to be sure. I've seen some variance from brand to brand in the same type of card.
Old 28th February, 2002, 12:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

all depends on how much it costs ya.
Old 28th February, 2002, 12:17 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y
GF2Tis are decent cards. My roommate has on, and it r0xx0rz. But I'd still check the memory and core timings, just to be sure. I've seen some variance from brand to brand in the same type of card.
It looks to be 225/400 (DDR) The 225 is listed for the G2Ti VX PRO-T, what's the "VX" mean? Could the core speed of the non-VX be different?
Old 28th February, 2002, 12:50 AM

Whats the price on it? and what do you plan to being doing with it?
Old 28th February, 2002, 01:29 AM
eobard

It's within a dollar or two of $100 US, I suppose that'll drop a bit between now and when the tax fairy gives me my refund. I plan on using it for gaming. I am willing to replace the sinks and fan with something more potent.
Old 28th February, 2002, 01:40 AM

hmm well, I would personally say go with a geforce 3 based card for like 50 dollars more if you need a card like this month, if not you could wait antoher month or so and save up for the geforce 4 4200 which will be like 200 us.
Old 28th February, 2002, 02:29 AM
eobard

It's not a question of what can I afford, it's a question of what am I willing to afford. I'm not willing to completely sacrifice other things in favor of a slightly better video card. My spending limits are predetermined at roughly $100 US, I'll go a bit above that for a noticeable benefit but not by much.
Old 28th February, 2002, 05:08 AM
Banned

Have you given any serious consideration to the Radeon 7500??
Old 28th February, 2002, 05:27 AM
eobard

Trying to get working update drivers from ATI for my Rage Fury Pro was like pulling teeth, unsuccessfully pulling teeth at that. No ATI for me this time.
Old 28th February, 2002, 05:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
Trying to get working update drivers from ATI for my Rage Fury Pro was like pulling teeth, unsuccessfully pulling teeth at that. No ATI for me this time.
Yee of little faith, I have a radeon that would be operating on the same driver's you'd use on the Radeon 7500. I have absolutely no issues and get GF2 Ultra performance from my card .

If my guarantee means anything to you, I guarantee you wouldn't have any driver issues. It's more spook from nvidia fanatics than fact.
Old 28th February, 2002, 06:22 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
It's more spook from nvidia fanatics than fact.
But I've had the problems with ATI drivers myself so I know it to be true. I sent emails with questions, they sent back answers that were no good. This went back and forth time and again until I gave up and conceeded I'd be using the drivers that came with the card originally, the end. I'm going to go nvidia for my next card, I just need to dope out which one.
Old 28th February, 2002, 11:38 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
If my guarantee means anything to you, I guarantee you wouldn't have any driver issues. It's more spook from nvidia fanatics than fact.
From my previous experiences with ATI cards (non-Radeon!) in other people's machines, I wouldn't touch an ATI card on the basis of the drivers alone. The experiences I had suggested to me that the work that had been done on the drivers had never been tested!

AidanII
Old 28th February, 2002, 01:33 PM
Banned

My experience has seen minimal driver related issues. Of course, most of my experience with Radeons have been more recent, with XP Pro, which seems to have little problem working with any device and device driver.

I just thought I'd offer my $.02

I love my radeon, I won't be buying a geforce anytime soon...
Old 28th February, 2002, 04:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cygnus_x_1 Send a message via AIM to Cygnus_x_1

i am on the verge of being a converted nvidiot...i swore by nvidia gpu's and their driver support. still do. but since starting my review of the 8500 i am slowly "seeing the light". nvidia has held the FPS, and benchmark crown for a long time, and with good reason...they have continually worked on their drivers to achieve maximum performace for all their cards. ATI on the other hand has lagged in their support of drivers. thats what has kept me away from ati... until now. I have not had 1 problem with ati's drivers yet (altho its only been 2 weeks) i started with the shipping drivers (win2k), then the latest reference drivers for xp, and have settled on the beta drivers for xp. IMHO, ati's claim to fame has been stellar 2d performance. and so-so 3d performance. well in my situation, ati's 3d performance kicks butt!!! the card is stable as a rock, the 2d performace is unbelievable, and the card is begging to be pushed. right now with the stock cooling (crappy little hsf on the gpu) the card is chuggin along at 300/300 (275/275 default). unfortunatly i do not have agf3 to get real #'s from so i have been comparing it to the #'s on mad onions site for users that have a comparable set up to mine. right now i am getting 7590, and still have plenty of room left to go...
http://service.madonion.com/servlet/...jectId=2875388

i would like to see ati get on the ball with some regular driver updates, and 'release' some beta's like nvidia...i can dream cant i???
Old 28th February, 2002, 06:57 PM

Im the exact opposite of you
Was a long time ATI fan, read the reviews of nividia cards and thought hertics
But when my radeon 7500 bit the dust, I grabbed a geforce3 ti200 for a great price and now I have been assimilated
Now I do like ATI's image quality, and featured on the card, dvd decoding, lots of diffrent inputs and outputs etc but the dribers, we all know that story
If ATI would lock some geeks up in a lab and make them do nothing but make drivers then ATI would seriously be a force to contend with imho.
Old 8th March, 2002, 04:25 PM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Romulus

ATi kills any NVidia card on image quality and DVD playback, bar none.

I've seen the 8500DV running next to a GF4 in identical systems and the ATi card wins the image wars hands down. The GF4 is faster, I will give it that. But I will lose 5 FPS to gain crispness in my poly-models any day of the week.

On a side note, the newest ATi beta drivers are perfect on my 8500 and my standard Radeon 64. The 8500 works great with ACAD & 3DS Max also.

My Heatware

Email me here
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!