AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th October, 2005, 04:40 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Question 6800 57 C

Since day one my 6800 LE would not go above 325 Mhz (core) Today after installing latest drivers I could up the core to 345. However some artifacts appeared after a while. The core temperature is going from 54 C to 57 C when this happens. Is 57 that much or is there another cause for this corruption?

Thanks !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2005, 04:58 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

57c is nothing for a 6800, the corruption could be because the gpu is on its limit or could be an unlocked pipeline disagreeing to the overclock.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2005, 04:59 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

put your agp voltage to 1.6v, 1.65v if you want, this may help.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th October, 2005, 06:20 PM

57C seems kinda high for a relatively low overclock (by Nvidia standards)
Is that at Idle? Anyway, you'll only have temps limiting you when you start to hit 90C...then you can see an effect. My X800 locks up at 109C.
Old 27th October, 2005, 06:45 PM
Benchmarker

OK thanks for answers I am currently at 1.6v AGP and 79 Mhz. Hmmmmm Pft what the hell?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 27th October, 2005, 07:58 PM

Does increasing the AGP voltage increase the likelyhood that pipelines will unlock successfully?
Old 27th October, 2005, 08:11 PM
Benchmarker

If a quad is damaged you can put 220v into the card and no luck. But sometimes I heard it can help ! Not in my case...

Old 27th October, 2005, 10:19 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

I think you've just reached the top with the card.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 28th October, 2005, 06:05 AM
Benchmarker

I think that too !

Old 28th October, 2005, 07:02 AM

79mhz? do you not have an agp lock?

AOA Team fah
Old 28th October, 2005, 07:38 AM
Steve Jobs

79 is too high. Far too high. Reduce your FSB overclock, use a multipier lock, use another PCI:FSB ratio, or find the next divider and reduce the multiplier to offset the clock difference.

That is the territory that damages hardware. If you have any respect for your hard disk you will reduce its UDMA transfer rate as well, and compensate everywhere you can.

That card should hit much closer to 400Mhz, and anything under 60C is nothing, mine runs at 80C loaded at 455Mhz all day long with a volt mod.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 28th October, 2005, 10:56 AM
Benchmarker

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
79 is too high. Far too high. Reduce your FSB overclock, use a multipier lock, use another PCI:FSB ratio, or find the next divider and reduce the multiplier to offset the clock difference.

That is the territory that damages hardware. If you have any respect for your hard disk you will reduce its UDMA transfer rate as well, and compensate everywhere you can.

That card should hit much closer to 400Mhz, and anything under 60C is nothing, mine runs at 80C loaded at 455Mhz all day long with a volt mod.
1. I have discussed this AGP freq. several times and 79 instead of 66 is not that much...check nvidia monitor critical status!!!
2. On Nforce2 PCI is locked to 33 so no harm done. I dont have anything else other than 2 opticals on mobo's IDE since I am using a PCI raid card (see sig) which I must say work just fine.
3. Why in the world this card won't go above I really don't know.
4. Dsio thanks for your answer I much appreciate it. PLS stay off drugs !

Old 28th October, 2005, 11:32 AM

79mhz is on the high side, at least try overclocking it at 66mhz agp and then you can see if that is the problem, only one way to find out!

AOA Team fah
Old 28th October, 2005, 12:01 PM
Benchmarker

I tryied at 66 Mhz AGP when I got the card. At that time I had no oc . All was stock. FSB MP AGP .....ALL ON STOCK. At that time it wasn't going above 325 even if the mem wasn't oc at all. now I am keeping the card 325/800 and is running fine. Just that I hate to get only 325 Mhz. Yesterday for the first time accepted 345 but with artifacts...

Last edited by chrisbard; 28th October, 2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 28th October, 2005, 12:04 PM
Benchmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
79mhz? do you not have an agp lock?
I can independently set the AGP on this mobo from bios or using nvidia soft...

Old 28th October, 2005, 12:10 PM
Benchmarker

I hope Dsio is right and maybe I have overlooked something or something is smelling.... because 325 is far from 400 !!!

Old 28th October, 2005, 12:27 PM
Steve Jobs

How far does it overclock with the 6th vertex shader locked?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 28th October, 2005, 04:32 PM
Benchmarker

With 8 pixel shaders and 4 vertex (default) AGP 66 Mhz, FSB 200, Multi 11, I can go as high as 339 Mhz for core! With mem on 800 Mhz I reach a lousy 7414 3dmark03 points. So it will not accept to go higher. What next?

Thanks for help

Old 28th October, 2005, 04:39 PM
Steve Jobs

what is your PSU situation? What brand, what power rating, and is the +12V line to the video card shared with anything or is it a single dedicated rail direct from the PSU?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 28th October, 2005, 04:55 PM
Benchmarker

http://www.highpowersupply.com/product-ps-hpc300202.htm

This is the PSU and I share the line for one neon and maybe one extra cooler.