AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th November, 2005, 05:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to mobius_13

Artifacts on stock BFG7800 GTX

I just recieved my new GTX back from RMA only to find artifacts in 3D. Its running at its stock speed 460/1300. The card feels warm, but it always does, even in 2D. My previous one did too and it ran fine up until it died. In 2D there is no sign of any artifacts and all seems fine. As soon as I fire up any game or 3D app like 3DmarkXX these strange out of whack pixles show up. I have tried reinstalling drivers and different drivers also, nothing seems to help. These artifacts arent like any I've seen before. They dont move on the screen, but instead just stay stationary. I'll attach a pic so you can see. Time for another RMA? I'm about sick of paying shipping charges for faulty equipment. Between this and some faulty sets of RAM I've been fighting with I'll go broke.
Attached Thumbnails
Artifacts on stock BFG7800 GTX-wtf-are-these-.jpg  
Old 19th November, 2005, 05:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

have you checked to see what exactly what your temperatures are in the nvidia control pannel? if so what are they?
Old 19th November, 2005, 06:40 AM

It's idle at 42, but the artifacts show up right away. As soon as the 3D application loads. I doubt its heating up that much that quickly. Plus they dont behave like heat related artifacts. Thankyou for your reply though.
Old 19th November, 2005, 07:57 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

That looks like bad voltage to one ramchip, at least that's what i have seen when pushing ram on ATI cards...

That being said, take that sucker back to where you got it from and have them test it. It should be something they provide free of charge on a new part. Could be a bios issue...could be something in the slot...could be lots of things...but it ain't normal.
Old 19th November, 2005, 08:25 AM

I just got done installing my X300, and they dont show up anymore. Is it safe to say the 7800 is the culprit? I wish I could just take it back to a store, instead I'll have to RMA yet again to BFG . With the holliday coming up things will probably take even longer.
Old 19th November, 2005, 08:37 AM

Drive a race car, and you must be prepared for failures.
Old 19th November, 2005, 08:47 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

You should try to lower the clocks. See what happens if you lower the mem to 1200...
Good luck !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th November, 2005, 08:55 AM

Ah, you just dont know about failures and me . Ever since I've gone A64 its been nothing but problems. I've already gone through......1 DFI Ultra-D, DFI SLI-DR, 2Kits of OCZ VX gold, 1kit Muskin Redline, and now it seems 2 GTX's. Makes me miss my sktA. Chris, sorry I didnt mention. I tried lower clocks 430/1200 and it still didnt help.

Last edited by mobius_13; 19th November, 2005 at 09:00 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th November, 2005, 09:43 AM
Steve Jobs

Can we try a different approach just to be sure.

There are about 3 games that suffered from terrible artifacts and corruption from some of the 80.xx series and late 70.xx series nvidia drivers.

The main one being HALO: Combat Evolved.

Given that ship is the Pillar of Autumn, I would guess you are indeed playing HALO. It is a very well documented problem, which HALO is full of due to its poorly done XBOX port. What other games do you see this in? Also what driver set are you running?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 19th November, 2005, 10:05 AM

I thought the same at first, DSIO, but he said they were in 3dmark as well, so I stand by what I said, however...if there are none in 3dmark the same as what is going on in halo, then driver it would be.