AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th December, 2005, 05:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

nVidia or ATI?

nVidia's 7800GTX 512MiB is currently selling for $749.

ATI's X1800XT 512MiB is currently selling for $699.

nVidia's card rules the roost, according to most benchmarks, and has better overclocking potential. However, you can't find them anywhere. ATI's card, although a slightly less capable product, can be had for as low as $640, according to some sources. So, the question is, which would you get, if you were in the market for a high-end card? Would you settle for the one you could get, or would you wait for the cream of the crop to become more readily available?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December, 2005, 05:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sorry, at those prices they can both collect dust on the shelf!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December, 2005, 05:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Sorry, at those prices they can both collect dust on the shelf!
I quite agree, but ignoring that for the moment....
Old 9th December, 2005, 05:56 PM

Nvidia. Superior preformance, lower power consumption, single slot solutions, better implimentation of SM 3.0. Better linux drivers.... Yes, I dont like the fact its a decent amount more than the XT, but I'd pay it, if I didnt have a 7800GT already
Old 9th December, 2005, 06:20 PM

nvidia and I sure I cn find it for $700. I for whatever reason I'm spending that much I would go for the better one. I might get a 512 7800GTX to put in my friends PC(which I will hopefully build soon).
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 9th December, 2005, 06:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I quite agree, but ignoring that for the moment....
Oh how I wish that I could! LOL

Seems Nvidia presents "safer" path. At these prices safety becomes paramount with me...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 9th December, 2005, 06:49 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
single slot solutions
512MB is Dual slot.

nVidia for now, but it seems the 512MB of the 7800GTX has yet to be seen in the wild.

If I were buying I would grab a 7800GT/GTX depending on my needs.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 9th December, 2005, 06:53 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Quote:
And has better overclocking potential.
negative:

http://www.muropaketti.com/r520_ghz.png

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 9th December, 2005, 07:14 PM

Gigabyte, Evga and several other vendors are efficient heatpipe solutions for the 512 version to make it a one slot card.
Old 9th December, 2005, 07:25 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
Gigabyte, Evga and several other vendors are efficient heatpipe solutions for the 512 version to make it a one slot card.
No mention of any such product on EVGA's website. Gigabyte don't even stock the 512MB version according to their site. - http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/VGA/index.htm

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 9th December, 2005, 07:27 PM

I saw that. Thats good to know. do you have a link to one?
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 9th December, 2005, 07:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
negative:
Ooops. Sorry about that. I had it exactly backwards, didn't I?
Old 9th December, 2005, 07:50 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Ooops. Sorry about that. I had it exactly backwards, didn't I?
Yup. The 90nm process used on the X1800 gives it alot of headroom for overclocking.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 9th December, 2005, 07:50 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102624

Corsair CX 750W | TP-Link Archer | MSI Z-390A Pro | ASUS GTX 1060 3GB Phoenix | Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200 | Corsair Carbide 275R | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 500GB Samsung 860 EVO + 120GB Kingston SV300 | Sony BT Headphones/Anker BT Speaker| ASUS TUF Gaming VG24V | Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed | Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
Old 9th December, 2005, 07:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I hate to say it because I rather like nVidia's products, but it looks to me like the ATI is the better value proposition (at least in the high end). The benches are competitive in most instances, and the X1800XT can be overclocked enough to overcome any differences (even against an overclocked 7800GTX). Plus, it's cheaper, and isn't as rare as hen's teeth.

But, that's just my opinion, and subject to change with the weather.
Old 9th December, 2005, 08:01 PM

of course anyone stupid enough to spend that money on a GPU will end up going with thier favorite company. Most people who buy a GTX will get the 256mb. Also an OC'ed(Factory) 256mb GTX preformes slightly lower. Thier is no current benchmark that can take down the 512mb 7800 GTX.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...gtx_512/1.html
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 9th December, 2005, 08:02 PM
AOA Staff

I think we'll see some more improvements with future driver releases. Although I really havn't had a chance to play with e XT, only the XL.

The XL is a nice card for the prices and performs quite well, it's just a shame that there's so little headroom for overclocking it.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 9th December, 2005, 09:36 PM

I think when you buy the best and it only stays the best for only so long and the price lowers the person feels sad. Neve go for the best I would say it's best to go with a 256mb GTX I conviced my friend who i'm building the computer for to go for two 7800GTs. WHihc is 100 cheaper and should preform correctly.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 9th December, 2005, 09:52 PM
AOA Staff

It depends on you individual needs and wants.

At this time, due to shortages with the memory it uses, the 512MB GTX is non existant.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 10th December, 2005, 01:17 AM

Call me Scrooge McDuck but I'm waiting for the 6800GT or GS AGP, yes AGP, to go down in price and then give my P4 2.4@3.0 a little more life. I refuse to spend €500 on a pci-e mobo, cpu and memory upgrade just so I can spend another €600 on a video card.

I bought a 9700pro for 450 euros in 2002, and although it prooved to be quite a good value over time that was enough high end for me. I love gaming but I love my kids even more. (ages 2 and 4 and they gotta have at least two hot meals every day ).

wife n' kids' rig: AXP2500+@2.1GHz | Soltek NF2 | 512Mb Geil DDR500 | 9700pro | SB live 5.1 | seagate barracuda 40Gb | Samtron 17" CRT