AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th December, 2005, 12:45 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

Graphics card gone......

So i was running O&O defrag last night and told it to defrag on startup(it was defragging when i got off pc last night and left on) and when i woke up and turned my monitor on it was frozen.

So i restarted and got to the black screen that shows Windows is loading(just before you login to an account if any) and directly after it came up with a black screen with the top quarter filled with only what i can describe as graphical jibberish(like that matrix assembly code crap so to speak).

Tryed several re-boots and it wouldn't go in to safe mode so i removed it and now im using onboard video(with onboard video after the black windows load screen it started O&O defrag which ended up freezing at 53% for farrrr too long on the last drive so i reset pc and here i am) which really bites. Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong with it?
Old 17th December, 2005, 12:54 AM

ummm, sorry to state the ovious I think it destroyed your vidcard. Make sure that in your Bios you have AGP to enable over onboard video or possibly your HDD is corrupt, try move stiff to disk and reformat.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2005, 01:26 AM
Banned

I doubt my HDD is corrupt it isn't having any problems(and very quiet surprisingly).

Im going to put the card back in later and see what happens.
Old 17th December, 2005, 01:33 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

When I fried my 9600se, I had to use a friends semi-dead MX440 - that would work ok ish without any sort of drivers (for example at windows startup) and would do windows fine at like 640x480 and about 10 colours or something daft.. but higher than that it just put gibberish all over the screen. I hope nothing similar has happened, but it could have. As I recall the MX developed its fault rather suddenly.

Favu

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Last edited by Favu; 17th December, 2005 at 01:35 AM. Reason: typo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2005, 02:00 AM
Banned

Yay it's up and running again. I have a feeling it was either overheated or doesn't like O&O Defrag Startup utility.
Old 17th December, 2005, 02:09 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Perhaps you pushed to OC a bit far? Or you where running right on the edge, and with the added heat your HDD was pushing out running the defrag along with the stress it places on the CPU... Maybe it got too toasty for it?

Great to hear it isn't dead

Favu.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 17th December, 2005, 02:20 AM
Banned

Nah it isn't oc'd a whole lot and the fan is always running though the weather is back and forth and get's really hot sometimes so that could have contributed.