AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th January, 2006, 06:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Con

HElp! TV out isn't working on ATI Mobility 9600

Hi,

I have a laptop with S-Video out, and I've connected it to an S-Video>SCART connector, hooked it all up and the signal the TV picks up is black and white!!

Not only does this happen, but when I try and play a video, the screen on the TV is black and doesn't display the video at all!

Could I have bought dodgy cabling that would cause this? (Cheap eBay deal) or is there something up with my configuration on the graphics card???

Cheers

Con
Old 4th January, 2006, 07:27 PM
AOA Staff

Not positive, but the B&W thing suggests to me it could be a US card and it's putting out an NTSC signal not PAL.

Some UK TV's will display NTSC, but only in B&W.
Old 4th January, 2006, 07:36 PM

Tried setting it to all flavours of PAL, and still got the same issue.

Theres no hope! I've tried the latest radeon drivers also.

Con
Old 4th January, 2006, 07:42 PM

Quick update on this, the Video is working now, but its still black and white!! So the driver update did something!

Could it still be a cabling issue?
Old 4th January, 2006, 08:18 PM

Grr this is making me want to headbut the wall tbh, 2 hours wasted on a pile of crap :/
Old 4th January, 2006, 08:49 PM

Have you tried it on another tv? The fact that you've managed to get video working now as before it didn't work suggests to me that it's not a cable problem, so that should be fine!
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th January, 2006, 10:21 PM

I stay away from ATI after a bad tunner experiance. Anyway I know most TV's in America use A digital input and will ONLY play B&W if you try using S-vid.Edit or try to do the covert singal thing found that out the hardway.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."

Last edited by madcatmk3; 4th January, 2006 at 11:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th January, 2006, 10:26 PM

Tried two TVs
Old 4th January, 2006, 10:36 PM
AOA Staff

Found this:
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=211

Post #2.
Old 4th January, 2006, 11:46 PM

isn't that sort of what I said?
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 5th January, 2006, 03:49 PM

How does that affect my situation
Old 5th January, 2006, 05:48 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

It might be your cable, methinks. Have you tried a different one?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 5th January, 2006, 06:01 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Black and white on an svideo connection has limited issues in terms of hardware. Svideo uses two lines to send the picture information - one carrying the brightness (black and white) and one carrying the colour.

If the colour line is broken, you get a B&W picture. If the TV expects svideo, and the encoder is putting out composite then you'll get a B&W picture. If the TV expects composite and the encoder is putting out svideo, you'll get B&W.

Software side I can't help on!
Old 5th January, 2006, 06:06 PM
AOA Staff

Sounds like the TV is expecting RGB, but it's being given composite?
Old 5th January, 2006, 07:52 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

After speaking with Con for a while, we decided to rule out as much of the chain as possible.

Con is using a S-Video to SCART adaptor, as his TV doesn't have a dedicated S-Video input, so the SCART socket is being used. To further complicate things, there's a FreeView box in the chain. The signal goes from the S-Video on laptop -> SCART input on FreeView -> SCART output on FreeView -> SCART input on TV.

Now, we've tested using a DVD player set to use the S-Video output in place of the laptop. This works correctly, validating everything from the S-Video cable onwards. Any issues must therefore be either the hardware encoder on the laptop, or more likely, the software on the laptop.
Old 6th January, 2006, 01:34 PM

Unfortunately, the software on the laptop is an issue, I've got the latest radeon catalyst drivers on there; this solved my problem of the video output not showing on the TV, but hasn't solved the lack of colour issue.

Aedan pointed me at a thread on another forum where someone with my laptop had exactly the same issue, and they resolved it by using an S-Video - > composite adaptor. I'm not convinced this will solve the problem, and neither is Aedan, but it's my next trouble shooting step.

I managed to get an S-Video - > female composite RCA adaptor on ebay which is used for graphics cards.

I've heard from other sources, that if you don't use the OEM adaptor like the one mentioned above, TV out will not work because it uses a different pin assignment on a 7 Pin S-Video adaptor, how true this is I don't know.

I guess it'll be Tuesday before I get the hardware!!! Watch this space.