AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th January, 2006, 02:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

laptop mic

I've just discovered the wonders of talking via mic and speakers with instant messenger programs, unfortunately, my mic on my laptop is right near my keys, my speaker and my system fan. I was wondering if there was a setting or something somewhere, where i can change the gain or something so it doesn't pick up the sound of the keys, or the fan. the speaker isn't important, i've got head phones to eliminate feedback. BTW, i'm running Windows XP Pro on it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th January, 2006, 03:29 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Depends on the prog that your running but sometimes they have a "threshhold" limit that must be reached before they turn the mic on.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th January, 2006, 04:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

i was using msn, and yim. but even just having the mic turned on with out transmitting it anywhere i could hear everything.

Old 9th January, 2006, 04:09 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Ummm I haven't played with the settings in a long time. But... you might wanna turn down "what you hear" if you can.
AOA Team fah
Old 9th January, 2006, 05:44 AM

what i could hear was being heard through earphones

Old 9th January, 2006, 03:12 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Having several laptops with microphones like that, I've never got a machine anywhere near the point where noises like fans/typing can be brought down to an acceptable level. The basic problem is that your typing/hard disk/fan is so much closer to the microphone than your mouth is. Hence, typing/hard disk/fan is picked up that much louder than your voice.

All you can do is turn the gain down in the Windows mixer, but that will also turn your voice down.
Old 9th January, 2006, 03:15 PM
AOA Staff

Might just be time to invest in a headset. I can get one for $10 at PC CLUB. Unfortunatly you'll have to take that thing off your head to use it.
AOA Team fah
Old 9th January, 2006, 11:04 PM

awww but i love my nes hat

Old 10th January, 2006, 12:13 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Or go wireless with a Bluetooth dongle and Bluetooth headset!