AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th January, 2006, 04:50 AM
Steve Jobs

FarCry 1.4 Patch HDR+AA

Well, it seams that CryTek have continued their very good work of patching Far Cry to keep it current as technology progresses.

Over recent months, they have been working on a 1.4 patch, which changes alot of things with Far Cry, including multiplayer balance, bug fixes, engine tweaks, but most importantly: The enabling of HDR and AA at the same time on ATI X1800 hardware.

The patch was loaned kindly to a few people to better test the new ATI R520 hardware, and it is suspected that this is where the patch originated from, specifically Guru3D.com.

As you can see on the official CryMod forums the patch is not officially supported, nor recommended, as there are still some rather serious issues left in this leaked beta patch. It also will require FarCry to be removed when the official patch is released, as multiplayer will not work online now, or when the official 1.4 patch comes out.

As for the effect itself:

Contrary to what Guru3D and assorted forum trolls are claiming, HDR with AA in Far Cry is not possible on Nvidia Geforce 6 and 7 series cards. This is not something that can be just patched, it is a physical characteristic of the card. On ATI hardware, it does work. It provides a nice image quality enhancement, though the AA levels allowed are somewhat limited, and the performance hit is very large.

This means, if you have an ATI X1300, don't bother. Be thankfull you can run Far Cry at all. And if you have an X1600XT, don't bother either. Sell it and buy an X1800XL or a 7800GT (a real 3D card). X1800XL should be considered minimum spec.

Until the official patch is released, it will not be on AOAFiles, out of respect for the developers, which are at this point most unimpressed by the conduct of those involved. ETA for the official patch is unknown but i would assume it should be ready in the next couple of weeks.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th January, 2006, 05:20 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Front Page dsio!
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/index.php
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th January, 2006, 05:31 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Interesting. You know Crytek jumped on the ATI bandwagon a long time ago, and i was pretty sure at the time that something like this would come out of it.

AA and HDR. Two of the biggest quality acronyms out there. Unified shaders are all that much closer...and at least we know ATI has the memory-control and post-processing-processing under control. I bet that right now as we speak nVidia's engineering staff on a whole is working on somewhat the same sort of thing...I can't wait to see what they come up with.
Old 10th January, 2006, 05:47 AM
Steve Jobs

Well, what you can do on Nvidia cards is apply AA to a scene, then after that apply the HDR effect to it. That isn't the same thing, but it may be the stopgap they use to play catch-up.

Anything is possible, and in reality, trickery could allow Nvidia Geforce 6 and 7 cards to run HDR+AA, but it will be a hack with a very large performance hit that would only be practical in an SLI situation. ATI's solution is true hardware level HDR+AA, and the black and white of it is that Nvidia cannot do that on existing hardware.

Nvidia wanted to be the first with FP16 blending in the frame buffer, and they managed to do that, but their implementation of it is where the problem lies.

On Nvidia hardware, the same component of the rasteriser process is required to both do FP16 blending, and AA, and both FP16 blending and AA are required to be the final part of the frame to be rendered.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 16th September, 2006, 04:53 PM

Unhappy

I know that this is an old thread, but I can't get Far Cry to run with HDR and FSAA. I've installed the 1.4 beta patch and have Catalyst 6.8 drivers and a single X1900 card. I can enable AA, but when I enable HDR using the r_hdrrendering 7 command it always disables FSAA, and I can't get FSAA back until I drop hdr back to zero.

Any ideas?
Old 16th September, 2006, 05:21 PM
Steve Jobs

To be honest I'm not sure at all. It seams like its treating your card as if it were an NVidia card. From memory.. there was maybe something else you had to do to enable HDR+AA at the same time on 1.4 beta?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah