AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd January, 2006, 10:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Super Nade

Possible CPU Bottleneck revealed?

Guys, check this out. When I run 3DM06 with the exact same settings, but setting CPU affinity to one core, I lose about 1000 points! What is surprising is that I lose out heavily on the SM 3.0 tests as well! Suffice to say, 3DM06 doesn't fully isolate the GPU?

Or, do you think running at 1024 x 786 with any type of graphics benchmark automatically factors in the CPU?

http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/3...ontests1rq.jpg
Old 24th January, 2006, 10:11 PM

no 3dmark 06 favors amd dual cores, it adds a full 1000pts to the score and easily make any single core person think their system is crap, I call it merely marketing at this point being only quake4 beta 1.05 is multithreaded. it's probably a way to get most users to switch over to dual core, but it's quite annoying an makes the test extremely biased and therfore useless, seeing as my single core is quite enough for any game out there.
Old 28th January, 2006, 07:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Super Nade

Actually, running an overclocked SLI setup entails a clear CPU bottleneck. Check the I made regarding "Image Optimization" for the gory details
Old 28th January, 2006, 07:53 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurt_21
I call it merely marketing at this point being only quake4 beta 1.05 is multithreaded.
At least this time around they seem to have got something right. iD's attempt at supporting multiple cores in Quake 2 worked very badly, and usually resulted in a performance loss, rather than a gain!
Old 29th January, 2006, 06:46 AM

well that would suck lol. no beta patch 1.05 works quite well for the dual cores, adding up to 40 frames depending on the model.