AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st March, 2006, 03:17 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse buggered?

Over the past week or so my mouse has suddenly started jerking, clicking on occasion after jerking when it shouldn't and completely powering itself off as if it wasn't plugged in.

This particular mouse is USB native, it however has a PS/2 adapter and this problem persists either in the PS/2 port or in any USB port.

Just a few minutes ago I decided to have a look in the Device Manager in XP and see if it had any problems and there were none, but the mouse at that point again decided to power itself off and the Device Manager said no driver was installed for the device.

This was while it was plugged in a USB port.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong?
Old 1st March, 2006, 04:08 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

How old is it? You might wanna try to reroute the cable as some of the wires in it might have become frayed.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st March, 2006, 04:16 AM
Banned

Not very, 3 months or so at the most.

Don't know much about the wiring of it, but if it keeps going like this and i can't find a solution that doesn't require playing around too much with the mouse itself I might just try it.
Old 1st March, 2006, 05:06 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

typical M$ mouse behavior. I used to go and buy another at a favorite retial, swap guts into my favorite chassis, and be done with it.

But i recently bought a Logitech G5....and i'll never go back.
Old 1st March, 2006, 05:23 AM
Banned

I don't think there is anywhere locally I can get anything but a basic generic or Microsoft mouse and keyboard.

I bought this keyboard and mouse in a package, the keyboard is going just fine but the mouse has completely lost the plot, Not much difference to it's creators I suppose.

If i'm going to buy a new mouse i'm not going to spend $80(AUD) or something on it.
Old 1st March, 2006, 07:48 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

I am sorry to hear that. Romanian mouses don't behave like that (of course they come much cheaper) but on occasions you can return home and find your case partially eaten
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st March, 2006, 09:34 AM

Chris this is Australia not Romania, The kangaroos eat everything here.
Chesso has obviously got a Roo problem with them Munching Mice......
Chesso go to your local $2 shop and buy a cheap optical mouse.
I use one and have been for 3 years, my wifes pc has one and it's been fine for 2 years.
Optical quality may come into it but for us they have been fine.
CHEERS
Old 1st March, 2006, 09:54 AM
Banned

We don't have any local stores like that around here, I can't use public transport as I have been banned because I won't pay a $200 fine that I shouldn't have to. ( I was on a train home one day and guards ask to see my TAFE student card and said it was 1 month out of date and slapped a $200 fine on me which is $150 over what people normally get, and on the report they said fair evasion, that I didn't have a ticket which I did).

Anyway does anyone know how to open up these bastards? it is really beggining to give me the craps. When I push the cord into the mouse pretty hard it starts working until I let go, so I might be able to do something about that if I can open it up.
Old 1st March, 2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

Well I have managed to fix it some what....

I cleaned the lens and eye with metho on a tissue and seems to likeit, i also had to strip the casing off the wires where it is bent just inside the mouse casing, it's what seemed to be the problem.

Iv'e electric taped it real tight and it works ok now as long as I use it right next to me on a surface where the cord can hang off the edge. The left and right mouse buttons howeva are a little bit of a pain.
Old 1st March, 2006, 11:09 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I suspect that you might find that the internals of the cable around the entry point to the mouse has become damaged. Typically this is where it flexes a lot when you move the mouse.
Old 1st March, 2006, 12:39 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

My mouse jerks occasionally, sometimes it just tracks left till you give it a whack. The button's don't work to well either, sometime's thinking I've clicked twice for every one push of the button... apart from all that it's fine

If you can, chesso, take it apart and give it a clean, and get it replaced asap.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 1st March, 2006, 02:08 PM
Banned

Well my only option is a cheap mouse with a ball *why does god hate me so much?*, but I will keep this mouse to experiment on

I am willing to bet the cabeling in that particular area is broken to some degree either from me cutting the plastic surrounding it or it was already like that, I know for sure that particular spot was causing the trouble though.

It however does not power off anymore unless put and used somewhere I wouldn't normally(So it's not a big problem), but the left and right click buttons for some reason the front of the mouse keeps moving up eventually so I can't click properly or at all and it's very frustrating.

If I could fix that problem it would be perfectly functional for me atleast until I can replace it with a decent one or until it dies and I have to use a cheap one.