AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th March, 2006, 01:27 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
I've used his PC a lot, I built it. I basicaly spend about 3 hrs a week on it. I don't know why but it gets a low FPS no matter what seetings it's on. It can be at lowest and still won't go above 40 in BF2? same with all other games. It also is missing some of the clarity. I'm presumming none of you have this problem?
No. He's doing something wrong or something is amiss.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th March, 2006, 01:27 AM

it littlery is not a solid image it actuly has moving grains. Anyway how do you know I built the machine incoretly, I put my 6800GT in and it worked fine. could the drivers be corrupt or something. No one I knows bean able to fix it. the wierd thign was another one of my friends brought over his 1900 XT and it did the same thing???
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th March, 2006, 01:52 AM

how is putting a graphics card in a working PC the same as buiding one from scratch?

Tevildo
Old 14th March, 2006, 01:52 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Firstly make sure you are using Either Catalyst 6.1 or 6.2, anything previous will cause some major screw ups. Secondly, make sure that any and all nVidia display drivers are removed, this can cause serious issues. Use Drivercleaner to remove them

Also, I might add that you've little but bad mouth the X1900, for reasons I don't know.

If your friend still have issues with the card, refer to technical support or RMA it if you are certain that it is not a software issue. I think it's pretty obvious to you that it is not functioning correctly.

If my X1900 did the same, I would not assume for a minute that the card was operating correctly. Nor would I base my opinion of the card based on performance from a clearly malfunctioning piece of hardware.

For what it's worth, I couldn't be more pleased with my X1900, and it was upgraded from a 7800GTX.

We all have our preferences, and we all have our reasons for such choices. I think you've made your's pretty clear.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 14th March, 2006, 02:05 AM
Steve Jobs

The very fact that you have used an Nvidia card in a system that runs an ATI card is indicative of your driver related problem by itself.

Run driver cleaner pro, remove all Nvidia Forceware drivers, and ATI Catalyst drivers. Install the 6.2 ATI Catalysts as Pitch suggested, and try it then.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 14th March, 2006, 02:50 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Front Page, Cad! www.aoaforums.com

Is that an 8 or is it a mangled 9? I really can't tell for sure. To the best of my knowledge, though, nobody is building 80 nM stuff; the next process node is 65 nM.

Nobody(AMD/Intel) did 110nm either, but most x1k series cards are this process size, as were some x8xx series. Just because CPU's are of a certain size structurally does not mean every processor must be.

So, yes, it's an 8, as you surmised here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Hmm.........well, it certainly is different from the ones that are clearly 90 nM, and I just did a quick Google and it looks like Elpida at least is making stuff on 80 nM process, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Rather like what happened with the 110 nM stuff, I suppose....
And yes, It's VERY useful. Most gpu's run on a base clock of 27mhz, with a very high multiplier...the smaller process allows for more leakage than 90nm, however it(leakage) is FAR less than 65nm, which is the next known stable stop-point, at least known to public. As well, going to 65nm will make die size pretty small, and thereby making it harder to cool, because of less surface area to mate with a heatsink. This is the ultimate motivator in choosing a larger process than 65nm...the up-and coming chips are something to behold...both by sight and thermally!

I've taken over a new business and am very busy. Once i get my new rigs up and stable, I'll be back crunching WU's for the team....with a total of 10ghz!!!

that will take a while tho...no days off really until MAY.

More news will follow, but only as the past 2...one post and I'm gone. Trade shows are a wonderful thing...and it doesn't ahve to be a PC tradeshow for someone to get dirt!

next midrange chip to debut....x1800xt...299US for 256MB and falling, 339 for 512mb. ATI's prices are falling...retailers should follow in 3 weeks or so, but newegg has already jumped the gun!

Last edited by cadaveca; 14th March, 2006 at 02:58 AM.
Old 14th March, 2006, 03:09 AM

Yeah, I saw the price cuts. Sapphire had an X1900 for $520 2 weeks ago, now its $475....I'm thinking I should order one in a couple more weeks. Might be down to $450, $430??
Old 14th March, 2006, 03:15 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

399...mabe 8-12 weeks i think. dpends on whether they realease the XL, which will be faster than an x1800xt.
Old 15th March, 2006, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
The very fact that you have used an Nvidia card in a system that runs an ATI card is indicative of your driver related problem by itself.

Run driver cleaner pro, remove all Nvidia Forceware drivers, and ATI Catalyst drivers. Install the 6.2 ATI Catalysts as Pitch suggested, and try it then.
I had removed the drivers I took pitch sugeston and RMA'ed both of the cards.
Anyway DIso do you really think I'm stupid enough to leave the drivers on .
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 15th March, 2006, 02:35 AM

Is this a trick question?
Old 15th March, 2006, 03:07 AM
AOA Staff

10/10!!!

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 15th March, 2006, 03:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Quote:
I had removed the drivers I took pitch sugeston and RMA'ed both of the cards.
What exactly was the companies responce to your problems? How did you test the cards after the clean install of drivers? In all fairness it sounds like your RMAing perfectly good cards...each to their own i suppose...
Old 15th March, 2006, 04:58 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Which version of the drivers did you have installed ? as the ones with the catalyst control centre (CCC) require the .net framework to be installed correctly as well. I once had a problem with the framework which affected graphics performance in some games and not others (3dmark was normal, but live for speed was slow).

As for the manufacturing levels, i believe they used to manufacture 10nM Si wafers down the road from me, however it was done by a non standard approach (ie not lithography) I dont know if they've made anything usefull with it either before the place burnt down. IBM were heavily involved in research there
Old 15th March, 2006, 10:55 PM

I dont' have the e-mail response but they issued me RMA's I'm surprised how fast it was. IE, I RMA'ed newegg. They said the will send me new ones.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 17th March, 2006, 12:58 AM

Wow that was fast I got one of the card back already, brand new works fine, no grain, also a lot of rendering issues are fixed.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 17th March, 2006, 01:22 AM

That is why we love newegg.
Old 17th March, 2006, 03:16 AM

Still wait for conformation on the otherone. But ya new eggs grea, I wish they gave free shipping though like ZZF
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 18th March, 2006, 10:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Quote:
Wow that was fast I got one of the card back already, brand new works fine, no grain, also a lot of rendering issues are fixed.
What a suprise!