AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th March, 2006, 03:31 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

ATI roadmaps....

Source is evident from pictures, and highly reliable.

Attached Thumbnails
ATI roadmaps....-ati-roadmap.jpg   ATI roadmaps....-ati-roadmap_eoc0at4li2pc.jpg  
Old 13th March, 2006, 09:23 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

80nm huh, interesting.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th March, 2006, 01:59 PM
Steve Jobs

Good to see you back again Dave.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th March, 2006, 04:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Front Page, Cad! www.aoaforums.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
80nm huh, interesting.
Is that an 8 or is it a mangled 9? I really can't tell for sure. To the best of my knowledge, though, nobody is building 80 nM stuff; the next process node is 65 nM.

Last edited by Gizmo; 13th March, 2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 13th March, 2006, 04:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Good to see you back again Dave.
Same here.
Old 13th March, 2006, 04:28 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Is that an 8 or is it a mangled 9? I really can't tell for sure. To the best of my knowledge, though, nobody is building 80 nM stuff; the next process node is 65 nM.
I thought the same.

So I ran the image through photoshop and cleared it up a bit. It's not perfect, but one can make their own decision.
Attached Thumbnails
ATI roadmaps....-ati.jpg  

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 13th March, 2006, 04:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hmm.........well, it certainly is different from the ones that are clearly 90 nM, and I just did a quick Google and it looks like Elpida at least is making stuff on 80 nM process, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Rather like what happened with the 110 nM stuff, I suppose....
Old 13th March, 2006, 04:40 PM
AOA Staff

http://www.techspot.com/news/19356-a...t-gen-gpu.html

I think that solves the debate.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 13th March, 2006, 06:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Certainly would seem to. LOL
Old 13th March, 2006, 07:35 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I reckon TS just tailed Dave to find their information...

Yeah, it does look like 80nm. It does leave me wondering how much of an advantage moving from 90nm to 80nm will be?
Old 13th March, 2006, 07:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
I reckon TS just tailed Dave to find their information...

Yeah, it does look like 80nm. It does leave me wondering how much of an advantage moving from 90nm to 80nm will be?
I haven't done any research, so this is just guess-work. I suspect that 90 nM is the sweet spot for that process technology in terms of cost efficiencies, but that it can be pushed somewhat further if you are willing to take a hit on your yields, or spend a bit on incremental process improvements to offset the hit in the yields that would otherwise occur.

Like I say, though, that is just a guess.
Old 13th March, 2006, 08:48 PM

Seeing as how Samsung has moved to DDR2 production to 80nm. It seems quite possible. But before the end of 06? --I'm just questioning the real advantages of only lowering by 10nm. Yield issues with 65nm?
Old 14th March, 2006, 12:42 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Gpu makers tend to do process steps more frequently but make baby steps out of it.
Eg cpu's went 180,130,90, 65nM.
whilst gpu's have done in the same time frame. 180,150,130,110,90 and now 80nM.
They can do it because they are fabless companies and rely on what tsmc and co produce
Old 14th March, 2006, 12:52 AM
AOA Staff

The improvments will be a modest clock boost. Seeing as 700 seems to be the reasonable limit for 90nm now.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 14th March, 2006, 12:56 AM

I hope ATI can make those new cards better then the xtx1900 for so much power it still left something to be desired.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 14th March, 2006, 01:15 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
I hope ATI can make those new cards better then the xtx1900 for so much power it still left something to be desired.
It did?

Which version do you have?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 14th March, 2006, 01:17 AM

not me one of my friends, it was one of the first out.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 14th March, 2006, 01:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
Coming from an experienced owner of the card in question, NICE...
Old 14th March, 2006, 01:23 AM

I've used his PC a lot, I built it. I basicaly spend about 3 hrs a week on it. I don't know why but it gets a low FPS no matter what seetings it's on. It can be at lowest and still won't go above 40 in BF2? same with all other games. It also is missing some of the clarity. I'm presumming none of you have this problem?
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 14th March, 2006, 01:25 AM

It was you that built this machine correct?

Ding! Found the problem!

What do you mean by clarity? Resolution? IQ?