AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th March, 2006, 11:18 PM

I'm talking about the 7900 of course it beats the 7800. But I still fail to see how it beats the 7900 besides cheaper and the HDR+AA?
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th March, 2006, 11:20 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
when I'm paid for an opinion it's unbiast. since someone payed me for a comparisin I'm passing on what I said.
Quote:
yes the ATI is much cheaper and better for the price.
Quote:
"nvidia rules" is my opinon
Quote:
I've admited there cheaper and better value
Quote:
But I still fail to see how it beats the 7900 besides cheaper and the HDR+AA?
It's a farce.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th March, 2006, 11:22 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
My dispute with your image is it's one game, however after watching the gamespot link I'll admit the ATI manages AA better.
Agreed it was one game.

However, the image shows how AA is used and how Transapancy AA is implemented between the two cards.
Quote:
preformace wise the 7900 seems to beat the 1900, which I didn't think until a few moments ago.
Indeed, it does, but check out by how much. Is the <5fps (click.) difference worth the loss in image quality?

I guess it is to some...

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 17th March, 2006, 11:23 PM

Favu my original post was what I was paid for it ended there. I prefer nvidia as ovious by the nvidia rules, and what are you complaing about the ATI costing less?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150135
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131004
EDIT: pitch your completly right about the 5FPS while it is sometimes more of a differance thats why I said it's better value for the money.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 17th March, 2006, 11:33 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

I'll also go as far to comment on your link you posted in a hope to clear something up.

The First test is FEAR. nVidia is faster hear, I can't complain nor disagree.

The Second test is HL2. I don't believe this to be a fair test on the basis of HL2 now supports HDR. It didn't at the time my Screenshot above was taken. AA + HDR is hardwork on the card. When playing on nVidia, HL2 implements "fake" HDR combined with tone mapping to mimmick it while retaining AA.

Playing on ATi it is able to use full HDR, and since AA is enabled, it is unfair to say the 7900 is faster as they were tested under different cicumstance. If you disagree, or care to discuss, please do so.

The Quake Bench goes to nVidia too. I have no qualls here, the Doom3 engine has always shined on nVidia hardware.

Splinter Cell:Chaos theory: Looks like HDR was disabled since there is evidently AA in the 7900 Picture. Performance goes to ATi. On a side note the use of HDR would change things alot.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 17th March, 2006, 11:37 PM

I almost completly agree with you (not sure about HL2 though in the sense I don't understand whats happening) I remeber SC:CT looking like it had AA when I had it off on my 6800GT, with shadermodel 3.0. Don't know how they did that but they did. Also look at the light you can see the jagged edges.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 18th March, 2006, 11:59 AM

I agree that the fence looks better on the ATi card but it might be so that ATi and Nvidia took slightly different heading on the amount of filtering/blending in transparency AA.
Take a look at the pictures on this link
http://www.hothardware.com/viewartic...leid=777&cid=2
Look at the electrical lines they look smooth and nice on ATi card, but at the same time the thin branches on the tree are almost gone on the ATi card.
To be honest I guess one has to play the game to get a feel for which is better.

Cheers
Old 18th March, 2006, 05:18 PM

COrn just owned me, you, ATI and Nvidia with one link.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 18th March, 2006, 05:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Please!, this has to be the lamest thread i have ever read! I find the title of "7900 Vs XTX1900" hardly constructive, As many have said both cards have their strong points, i suggest you do your research accordingly and hopefully you will come to some sort of "thought through sensible conclusion" ...
Old 18th March, 2006, 05:38 PM

I did I just wanted to se what otherpeople though, in the end I got the 7900s for the person as it was pretty much the same price in the end with the master and slave card would have bean. Luckily the person isn't a gamer so th AA/HDR isn't a problem.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 18th March, 2006, 06:29 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
I got the 7900s for the person.
Luckily the person isn't a gamer so th AA/HDR isn't a problem.
You suggested a Sli 7900 setup for a NON Gamer... WTF?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 18th March, 2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about the 7900
Christ....it was a typo.
And you gave a non game rtow 7900 Slis because they weren't a gamer?

*Groans*

In other words, you made somebody pay about £800 extra for something they didn't need.
That's not only an insult to them, but an insult to those like me who can't afford more than an X800GTO yet play games a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 18th March, 2006, 07:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Let me get this right, you have bought two cards for someone who just two days ago "you" didnt have a clue on which to buy? Great research...

Two days thats pretty good turn around, where did you get the cards from?
Old 19th March, 2006, 06:32 AM
AOA Staff

I think the review given at Hexus really sums the issue up nicely. It's a good read and they have alot more advanced tests, not just game benchmarks which show what the GPU's are actually capable of.

Here's a section from their final thoughts on the launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexus
MSRP for NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX is $499-$649, GeForce 7900 GT is a $249-$399 part, with GeForce 7600 GT rounding out the range of new products at $199-$229 (with a $179 128MiB version, too). That puts 7900 GTX up against Radeon X1900 XT (~$499) and XTX (~$579), to which it spars decently on performance, but ultimately doesn't land a knock-out blow.

7900 GT mostly squares up to X1800 XL (~$299), which it dispatches easily (although not shown, stay tuned for its addition to our test results), beating its main ATI competitor on launch-day pricing.

Lastly, 7600 GT has no trouble versus X1600 XT (~$179) (again, look out for that soon, post-CeBit). So that leaves NVIDIA with two of its new SKUs very considerable on price/performance, with the GTX one you'd have to spend much more time pondering before wanting to pick one up.

NVIDIA's trouble is image quality, and IQ performance. ATI's latest Radeon parts - X1800 and X1900 - have better overall image quality available, and with better looking pixels always desirable when performance is the same, you'd have to really like 7900 GTX for other reasons to want to select it.

Then you just weigh up the price/performance versus IQ for the other two SKUs. In that respect they make a good case for themselves, with the 7600 GT especially standing out. At the resolutions most people play games, and the IQ levels available on the new products and their competitors, I can recommend 7900 GT and 7600 GT to you, dear reader.

G71 and G73 bring chip-level performance improvements to the products they create, allowing a leg up in top-end performance versus G70 and G71 products of the same ilk. Their next challenge is to bring possible IQ up by the same token, which we'll see over time but which isn't there right now.

It's clear that Vista, due out this year, played a part in NVIDIA's last Shader Model 3.0 gasps (and expect G71 and G73 to flesh out product ranges elsewhere over time, with a plain 7900 and GT 512 likely to appear at some point, and slower 7600 SKUs are just around the corner). They didn't go for absolute top-end performance with 7900 GTX, which if any faster might embarass their first D3D10 part scheduled for Vista's launch.

Availability should be good from launch day, NVIDIA hoping to hard launch all three SKUs world-wide, so if you want to pick one up be mindful of our cooler thoughts earlier in this analysis.

So, to sum up (finally), 7900 GTX replaces 7800 GTX 512 in terms of better price and availability for the same performance, but ATI offer better products in that space, leaving 7900 GT and 7600 GT as the two worth considering for purchase if you're shopping at ~$299 and ~$199 respectively.

So NVIDIA's new GPUs move their game on, but with Vista not far off, only G73 and 7600 GT really shouts loudest.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 19th March, 2006, 05:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I haven't read the article; was this test done using the 82.41 drivers? Supposedly, they make a significant different in performance?
Old 19th March, 2006, 05:18 PM

Is that frame rate or IQ increase?

I'll admit this much, the difference between those two pictures is quite noticable. Mainly the texture and color blend and the vivid display as well.

Where the red and orange seem to be a bit more brilliant than the Nvidia slide. Then the fence seems to be a bit less grainy, perhaps thats just my observation though.

@madcat

Why on earth would you recommend a multi-GPU on any level to somebody who is never going to take use of that
systems abilities?

If your able to charge a higher percentage because of the
fact your recommendation includes at least $900 for the
GPU's and that makes the machine worth more ( I'm basing this on, the more the machine, the more you make)
when there not going to game or utilize anything on that level...IMHO is damn near extortion. Or bad business practices in the most high = overcharging.
Old 19th March, 2006, 08:27 PM

Owned. Couple of friends messing around in school field.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp OWNED.bmp (1.44 MB, 89 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 20th March, 2006, 12:47 AM
Steve Jobs

If I had to choose between a 7900GTX and an X1900XT, and I wasn't paying for it, my choice would be the 7900GTX.

My reasons are that though it cannot do HDR+AA, there are nowhere near enough games that can actually support it to make it worth caring about, given that most games still don't use proper FP16 blending HDR, and instead use the tone mapping with big bloom effects thrown in that you see in HL2 and Need For Speed: Most Wanted. It has a performance advantage, and image quality has improved with the new 84.20 driver set considerably, getting even better when XG tweaks are applied. SLI would also be an advantage for the 7900GTX

If It was my own money I was spending, I would buy a cheap X1900XT and not miss the 7900GTX at all. Its more video card for your money than the 7900GTX, particularly when you consider that over here its priced to compete with a 7900GT.

What we really need is game developers to pull their thumbs out and start using the new technologies we have available.

Perhaps EA is the key to this? Sure, their games are buggy and backwards, but the franchises they currently have (Need for Speed, Farcry, Battlefield) have great potential, and perhaps after working with the cutting edge crew of Crytek, this new technology will flow through to their other games.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 20th March, 2006, 02:00 AM
AOA Staff

Unrelated, but I've found a few tricks in Photoshop to give a type of HDR effect.

Time to dig out the old holiday pics.

</input>

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 21st March, 2006, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
You suggested a Sli 7900 setup for a NON Gamer... WTF?
no thats what they request I sugesteded intagrated. I covinced them out of WC. Poeple in my area are to rich. Anyway why can diso say the same thing as me without complains .
P.S. The system had a Pentium D to.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116240
I know you think I'm the one to blame but I went over and the guy said here's what I want (missing a few things). I told him he would never used the power...
THe funny thing is I tried to convince him till I saw his aston martin ad though why am I even bothering.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah

Last edited by madcatmk3; 21st March, 2006 at 11:57 PM.