AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd March, 2006, 04:32 PM
AOA Staff

Dell uses Ageia physics chip for gaming machine

Quote:
HARDWARE giant Dell said it is taking orders on what it describes as an ultra-high performance games machine which will use the Agea PhysX processor.

It previewed the XPS 600 Renegade desktop at CES in January and said the machine is available now in limited quantities and including a 30-inch monitor at a price only $70 short of $10,000.

It is also cranking up the Pentium 965 Extreme Edition to 4.26GHz, with dedicated support for the overclocking community.

However, Dell will also offer these machines with quad SLI options. µ
Source:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30474
Attached Thumbnails
Dell uses Ageia physics chip for gaming machine-dellquad3.jpg  
Old 22nd March, 2006, 04:34 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Dell... Ultra-high performance games machine... Dedicated Overclocking support....

Did I miss something?!

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2006, 04:40 PM
AOA Staff

Yes, it costs $10,000. But, don't worry the boss and some guy called Mike will sign it for you.
Old 22nd March, 2006, 05:12 PM

Look, its on fire. I wonder if this is a sign of whats to come?
Old 22nd March, 2006, 05:14 PM
AOA Staff

Your credit card would be on fire after buying that.
Old 22nd March, 2006, 05:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

I've read these day somewhere that Dell is about to acquire AllienWare? ..myabe here on AOA..don't remember really. maybe this is the side effect.
though...10k $? I don't know what to say....(It's painfull... )
Old 22nd March, 2006, 05:18 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

10K isn't bad when you consider you won't need to pay for a seperate central heating system

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2006, 06:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
10K isn't bad when you consider you won't need to pay for a seperate central heating system
Yeah, but think about the air-conditioning bill. Unless you live north of the arctic circle, it's gonna cost a bundle to cool in the summer.
Old 22nd March, 2006, 07:31 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Alienware has added Ageia to the bill as well....seems now that the boards are out that allow proper lane-configuration for additional pci-e16x slots, the card has some followers. About bloodly time, I say, although i DID know that this was going to happen since November last year.

Gigabyte's 4x16 pci-e slotted board makes sense now to some, as the SLI can be run on one set, while the Ageia can be run on the second...wasn't meant for 4 videocards...EVER!!! nVidia released dual-pcb versions of the top card to go with Ageia...now those dual-card-on-one-pci-e connector 7800/7900's make some sense, as do the dual-chip-on-one-pcb vidcards, EH?
Old 22nd March, 2006, 10:16 PM

agh this is getting overwhelming. and 10K s way to much for a PC, I don't care how much you have.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 22nd March, 2006, 10:22 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Yeah, but think about the air-conditioning bill. Unless you live north of the arctic circle, it's gonna cost a bundle to cool in the summer.
No no! In summer, you move it into a little log cabin, and install an open-bath watercooling solution - Hey presto! SAUNA!

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 22nd March, 2006, 10:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Alienware has added Ageia to the bill as well.
Would competition from this be the reason that nVidia has suddenly gotten interested in offloading physics processing to the GPU?
Old 22nd March, 2006, 10:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
No no! In summer, you move it into a little log cabin, and install an open-bath watercooling solution - Hey presto! SAUNA!
D'oh! That is such an obvious solution that it completely passed me by! LOL
Old 22nd March, 2006, 11:05 PM
AOA's resident barman

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 22nd March, 2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Would competition from this be the reason that nVidia has suddenly gotten interested in offloading physics processing to the GPU?

That's a farce built upon by the addition of Aegia support to the nVidia SLi driver framework. nVidia is not porting off physics to the gpu...thier gpu is only capable of processing physics for lighting conditions, and not collision physics, and thier current memory-control scheme does not allow for the sort of caching nessecary to make ANY sort of physics calculations feasable.

Next-gen cards, however...
Old 23rd March, 2006, 01:18 AM

Wow, very impressive computer, too bad it's a Dell...
Even with a physics processor, 4.26 gig CPU, 30 inch monitor, and all that extra stuff, there's just no way it's worth 10 k. That's insane :P
It will be interesting to see what happens once these physics processors become more common. I can imagine games finally being able to do away with disappearing ragdolls.
Old 23rd March, 2006, 10:37 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
nVidia is not porting off physics to the gpu...thier gpu is only capable of processing physics for lighting conditions, and not collision physics, and thier current memory-control scheme does not allow for the sort of caching nessecary to make ANY sort of physics calculations feasable.
Tell that to those who are using their GPUs to crack triple DES then. I seem to remember that distributed.net found that the Geforce 2 cards were pretty good for breaking 3DES.
Old 23rd March, 2006, 03:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Tell that to those who are using their GPUs to crack triple DES then. I seem to remember that distributed.net found that the Geforce 2 cards were pretty good for breaking 3DES.
I'm no expert on this, but it would seem to me that cracking 3DES and handling full-blown physics calculations are in completely different realms memory-wise?
Old 23rd March, 2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
I understand, however the "techdemo" was centered around the geforce7 series only, and no other.

They also said that the card doing the physics would hand of the info to the DX9 driver...with NO cpu intervention. Uh, what?
Old 23rd March, 2006, 04:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
They also said that the card doing the physics would hand of the info to the DX9 driver...with NO cpu intervention. Uh, what?
You caught that too? I was practically rolling on the ground when I read that....