AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th April, 2006, 03:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to saquib

Arrow what does this claim imply? (ATI/nVidia)

"At the same time he confirmed that his firm was selling some X1900 XTX cards but not that aggressively. They think that X1900XTX deserves much more attention as it is winning at least half of the benchmarks, has 10 bit colour, features Avivo and can do FSAA and HDR, and Nvidia can't do these things."

what does this claim imply? can anyone explain the terms and impy how they are not available in nvidia cards??

source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30771

Winchester S939 3500+ on MSI K8N NF4-SLI Platinum
4 x 512 MB TwinMos (DDR400:CL2.5)
MSI nVidia 7800GTX, SB Audigy 2 ZS
Samsung 2ms 3000:1 DV-I LCD @ 1680x1050
2x80GB IDE7200RPM + LG24XCDRW + LiteON16X DVD
ENERMAX 460w PSU
Xbox 360 Premium
NAD C320BEE, Yamaha RXV7300 DSP
Windows XP 64 Bit Edition, Ubuntu on XGL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2006, 04:02 PM
AOA Staff

I don't understand either, looks like a mistake to me.
Old 5th April, 2006, 04:13 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Avivo, as far as I know, is a programming interface designed to allow the ATi GPU to rip, render and do general media encoding. It is exclusive to ATi.

As for 10bit colour, I'm not entirely sure what you are on about.

X1k GPUs can Render AA with HDR active, nVidia's currently can't.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2006, 04:29 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

10-bit colour could be reference to something similar to the tech on the Matrox Parhelia 512, which is capable of displaying each channel in 10-bit, meaning that 1,073,741,824 colors can be displayed simultaneously. Normally for each value of red, green and blue in a VGA signal, there are only 8 bits per value available meaning around 16 million colours.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 5th April, 2006, 04:33 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
X1k GPUs can Render AA with HDR active, nVidia's currently can't.
That explains that, better than the article!
Old 5th April, 2006, 05:25 PM

10 bit color somehow cmparable to the ao bit or 12 bits video DACs we see on DVD players?

ENERMAX 460w PSU
Xbox 360 Premium
Old 5th April, 2006, 05:57 PM

i meant *** 10 bit color somehow comparable to the 10 bit or 12 bit video DACs in consumer electronics DVD players??? ***

ENERMAX 460w PSU
Xbox 360 Premium
Old 6th April, 2006, 12:36 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

yup seems to all have been covered.
10bit colour is the same as the top end matrox card in doing 10bits per channel which gives 30bit in total compared to 24bit of most other graphics cards.
avivio is hardware accelerated media encoding / decoding upto h.264 codec
and yes the fsaa and hdr comment is relating to the fact it can do them both at the same time, all features the nvidia 7k's cant do
Old 6th April, 2006, 03:47 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

10 bit color.... such a wide color gambit.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 6th April, 2006, 04:24 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I can't beleive you guys haven't got it yet...ATI IS better than nVidia. I said it a long time ago 2006 was thier year to shine...ending further DX9 gpu introduction, with the fastest gpu on the market. Sad thing is that it's mem-bandwidth limited, and only because of the cost of GDDR4. I truly hoped that this mem tech would have made it before Vista, but oh well.
Old 6th April, 2006, 04:45 AM
Steve Jobs

Yea dude, ATI ownz0rs 2 TH4 M4XX0r.

I've been really pwning it up, trying to get XGL to work on the X800Pro in my linux box. Really good drivers those! And my 3d desktop looks ... well its a blank screen, because it doesnt work.

But gee, that black is a really nice black!

Linux on X1000s is even better. I don't have one to try, but word on the street is that it can send you bald in a matter of hours!

<breaks into song>

"OH Canada....."

Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 6th April, 2006, 04:54 AM

Plays games better. uh, they are gamer cards, after all, and nothing else. The lack of Linux Support should clue ya in a bit...

uh, anyway, DSIO, i was talking high-end, a la R580/G71.

Don't blame the hardware for software issues...
Old 6th April, 2006, 05:22 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Plays games better. uh, they are gamer cards, after all, and nothing else. The lack of Linux Support should clue ya in a bit...

uh, anyway, DSIO, i was talking high-end, a la R580/G71.

Don't blame the hardware for software issues...
Actually, I think he was blaming the VENDOR for the software issues, and ATI is the one who has to write the Linux drivers, and either refuses to do so, or writes such crap that they are nearly unusable, anyway. But, to be fair, the linux desktop market is so freaking small that it probably is completely irrelevant to ATI at this point. Kindof a chicken and egg thing, tho.....
Old 6th April, 2006, 06:32 AM

Not to me it isn't. The engineer's deserve the credit for the hardware; the company for letting the software developers falter. There's a big difference as to who the real people to blame are.
Old 6th April, 2006, 06:46 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Not to me it isn't. The engineer's deserve the credit for the hardware; the company for letting the software developers falter. There's a big difference as to who the real people to blame are.
I blamed ATI, not their engineers

Of course, we could always

<bursts into song>

"Blame Canada....."

So many good songs! lol. I'm only taking the piss dave, don't let it bother you
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 6th April, 2006, 08:30 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
10 bit color.... such a wide color gambit.
Who cares about 10 bit per channel colour? Who has a TFT/CRT that can actually display 10bit per channel colour? Oh, I don't see anyone with their hands up. That's a useful feature then.
Old 6th April, 2006, 11:22 PM

10bits (instead of 8) could be useful if you adjust gamma, brightness and contrast digitally (in the cards driver) or you´ll end up with posterized colors due to lack of dynamic range otherwise. Then again, I would consider this a really small problem most of the time....

I agree with Dsio on the Driver side (ATi). Even in Windows they are sometimes a bit flaky on new games (happens on Nvidia too but not as often), but its not as bad as it once was. Generally I have the feeling that Nvidias stuff just works no matter what platform you boot up while on ATis you can get bald real quick.
Old 6th April, 2006, 11:37 PM

Nvidia cranks out every drop in thier drivers, ATI not so much. I'm really going to stay out of this as I still don't like ATI, in my opinion the only thing better they have is a lower price. The HDR/FSAA isn't an issue yet. People also semm to forget the fact that the real moneys in the mid range not the enthusiest class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Who cares about 10 bit per channel colour? Who has a TFT/CRT that can actually display 10bit per channel colour? Oh, I don't see anyone with their hands up. That's a useful feature then.
exacly. However my plasma supports that and it's something I would like from nvidia.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 6th April, 2006, 11:43 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
Nvidia cranks out every drop in thier drivers, ATI not so much. I'm really going to stay out of this as I still don't like ATI, in my opinion the only thing better they have is a lower price. The HDR/FSAA isn't an issue yet. People also semm to forget the fact that the real moneys in the mid range not the enthusiest class.

exacly. However my plasma supports that and it's something I would like from nvidia.
Yes we know.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 7th April, 2006, 03:28 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saquib
features Avivo
Well, that's nice - ATI's card carries a propriatory ATI technology

That said, H.264 hardware assist is nice, but isn't propriatory, no matter how many names are used. I do know that AVIVO can filter incoming analog signals fairly well in an attempt to improve the signal quality, but with digital being mainstream now, it doesn't appear to be much of a benefit. Again, AVIVO can help deinterlacing, but that's an issue that's much more of an analog issue.

I'm not mad keen on the dithering that AVIVO will do if you connect a display that can only do 8bit colour per channel though.