AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th May, 2006, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

dual monitor solution

hi,

i currently have a ati 9600 xt on a non pci-e board. i'm adding a second monitor to my current board and i'm guessing i'm going to need a pci card.

can someone recommend any good pci video cards for gaming?

also, i looked at matrox's dualhead2go and it doesn't support my chipset. are there any other products like that? my current resolution is 1280x1024. any way i can get a 2560x1024 resolution?

if i get a pci card, i'm guessing that windows will manage everything, which makes gaming tricky or impossible. to be honest, i have 0 experience with 2 monitors at the same time.

barneygumble742
32in + 24in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th May, 2006, 03:05 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I used to run two monitors from my 6600gt, I found that when gaming the game would only run on one monitor, I don't know if there are any settings to change that, but either way you would need something of around equal speed to your 9600 to play games, which wouldn't be worth it, IMO.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th May, 2006, 04:49 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

I used to run dual monitors also but on my ATI Radeon 9550 it used to be great for everyday use but games were difficult because the card couldn't handle a large resolution anyway i'd pick up a faster card if you want to game.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 4th May, 2006, 06:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

if i get a faster card with dual outputs, then can i play games using both screens?

thanks
32in + 24in LCD
Old 4th May, 2006, 07:03 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygumble742
if i get a faster card with dual outputs, then can i play games using both screens?

thanks
TBH, I think the game needs to explicitly support the resolutions, and I have yet to hear of any.
Old 4th May, 2006, 07:34 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
TBH, I think the game needs to explicitly support the resolutions, and I have yet to hear of any.
Most flight sims do, AIUI, so that they can be run together with complex joysticks/switches/multiple monitors and such - meaning they can give a more realistic experience.

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 4th May, 2006, 07:56 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I stand corrected...
But, I think sims are the exception, not the rule.
Old 4th May, 2006, 08:12 PM
AOA's resident barman

Yeah that is probably true

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 4th May, 2006, 09:21 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 is awesome on a triple monitor setup, simulates me being able to look out the window with the turn of my head
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 5th May, 2006, 06:30 AM

what about something like this:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/offho...tech_brief.cfm

matrox's dual and triple head2go devices aren't compatible with my current chipset. are there similar products by different companies?
32in + 24in LCD
Old 5th May, 2006, 07:03 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

I have played games on my dual setup. The way you look to set up the monitors is SPAN and you set it twice the width res and normal heigh res for ex. instead of 1024*768 the new resolution will be 2048*768. Most of the games detect the span right and they will have a new option in graphics settings that will be exactly 2048*748. The problem with this setup when I tried playing quake and other games is just this. Where do you think the middle of the screen falls into place? So actually everything is so nice but you have your cursor in the middle I heard that are games that will span across in a different manner. You will have a normal window where action takes place on one monitor and the second one will be the menu/map display making it much easier to handle the game ! However in span mode the card will work twice the normal load so you may want to reduce the details since the same game in span is twice as hard on the vcard ! Good luck !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 8th May, 2006, 03:35 PM

do y'all recommend mixing cards? like an ati chip on the agp and a nvidia chip on the pci?

i've been lucky to get a second 19" lcd panel. and i want to use it. right now my options are to get a pci card or built a new box. if i go with the new box, then it will have to be another gaming machine and convert my current box as a file server.
32in + 24in LCD
Old 8th May, 2006, 04:30 PM
AOA's resident barman

Well, if you have the nVidia chip handy, you might as well try it, I see no reason as to why it shouldn't work

Give it a go and let us know how it turns out

8 kByte S-RAM