AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th May, 2006, 07:38 PM

O/S not IDing monitor correctly; only shows a PnP

Running 2k w/sp4 and a HP LC2600N LCD TV/monitor using a DVI cable input, Windows identifies the monitor only as a Plug & Play. In XP it correctly identifies the monitor as a HP LC2600.

So I understand it correctly, when Windows IDs' the monitor with the correct name through the EDID data, it then creates a inf file? If so, can that file be used elsewhere (on another computer and O/S) ?

Without getting into a 2k vs FP here since I don't want to change O/S's just for this, can I get that file and use it on my 2k box in the hopes that it will keep the monitor happy?

What is happening and the problem; because the computer and monitor aren't 'talking' properly, some functions in the monitor aren't available. Namely the ability to set the monitor to the native resolution of 1366x768 and a 'Dot by Dot' aspect setting.

It's been reported that 1:1 pixel mapping is possible with a XP box and a DVI input.

Hope that made sense.................
Thanks in advance.
Old 12th May, 2006, 07:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Do you have a driver disk for the monitor? As I understand it, Windows doesn't 'create' an inf for the monitor, it simply selects the closest matching one based on what it detects. If there isn't one there, it won't go out and create one for it. That's the reason you get the driver disk with the monitor, so that you will have the inf file necessary to properly describe the monitor and its capabilities to Windows.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th May, 2006, 12:36 AM

This is not a computer monitor and there is no 'inf' file since it is a full HD TV with a DVI input.
As far as creating a 'inf' file, how/where do I get the data for it?
Old 13th May, 2006, 03:12 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you can identify which inf file is being used by WinXP, you MIGHT be able to install the inf file on Win2k.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th May, 2006, 02:31 PM

Here is the TV;

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...ABA&catLevel=2

I'm not sure a customized inf file is the answer. It just appears there is something different between 2k & FP, er XP, and the way the O/S communicates with the monitor that the monitor doesn't like with 2k.