AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th July, 2006, 07:59 AM

Help! BSOD during overclock stress test

So I just tried to overclock my 7600GST, using the manual overclocking option of Coolbits 2.0 ---> Detect optimal frequencies. Well the progress bar of the stress test passes several times but every time towards the end of the test I get a BSOD of nv4_disp.sys?

WTH is this? Never happened to me before - the test either finished or did not finish, but not this FYI, I've tried this with the 84.43 as well as with the 91.33 drivers. Anyone know what gives?
-------------
dxdiags are boring
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th July, 2006, 01:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Have you tried backing off the OC just a little bit? Coolbits may have found the magic point at which the card is just starting to become unstable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th July, 2006, 01:45 PM

Well there's no OC just yet - I'm only pushing the "Detect optimal frequencies button" LOL.
-------------
dxdiags are boring
Old 19th July, 2006, 02:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ah, but the whole process of detecting optimal frequencies must, by definition, overclock the card, right? I mean, it has to try changing the clock and seeing how the card reacts, doesn't it?
Old 19th July, 2006, 03:32 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Thats right, usually though the detection will come up with a number that is just below the point when minor errors are detected, im thinking that your card might just have an absolute cut-off which it wont go above but doesnt generate errors before this point.

Coolbits although it's in the Nvidia software isn't actually that good or accurate, best way to do it is to increase core frequency 10mhz at a time untill problems occur and then back off 10-15mhz, when you have your absolute maximum core speed then repeat the process with the memory, you should always do the core speed first as this has the most effect on performance and you will not necessarily reach your peak core speed if your memory is maxed out.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 25th July, 2006, 01:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Skiracing108

i've had that problem before and it was either overclocking too much or crappy drivers, or a little of both
evga 7800gtx CORE 498mhz MEM 1.29ghz
Maxtor 250gig hardrive
soundblaster-audigy 2z's
Klipsch pro media 5:1 surround sound
Thermaltake 500w psu
AOA Team fah
Old 26th July, 2006, 04:42 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Thats right, usually though the detection will come up with a number that is just below the point when minor errors are detected, im thinking that your card might just have an absolute cut-off which it wont go above but doesnt generate errors before this point.

Coolbits although it's in the Nvidia software isn't actually that good or accurate, best way to do it is to increase core frequency 10mhz at a time untill problems occur and then back off 10-15mhz, when you have your absolute maximum core speed then repeat the process with the memory, you should always do the core speed first as this has the most effect on performance and you will not necessarily reach your peak core speed if your memory is maxed out.

You're dead right about coolbits overclock detecting. It told me my card tops out at 380Mhz. In reality my card is more than happy to do over 450Mhz.

I would do just as the Monk suggested, and increase by 10-15 until you hit your limit. Keep in mind, this means you overclock, then play a heavy game (HL2 / BF2 / Halo / GRAW) for an hour to test the stability. You can probably just do a 10 minute test for the first 5-6 tests, but as you get closer to your limit test more and more to find the sweet spot.

A thermal regoop and reseat with arctic silver 5 should help you as well. Also give the Tweaksrus Xtreme-G drivers we host a go as well. (on AOAFiles)
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 29th July, 2006, 10:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

I had the same problem til I replaced my power supply on my geforce 6800U just a long shot but after i replaced it this stopped completely :/

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097