AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th July, 2006, 05:19 AM
Member/Contributer

Comparisons

With all the new cards out, and the different designations could someone please give a list from best to worst nVidia and ATi cards, with which ATi card is similar to nVidia in terms of stock performance.
Also what would the equiv of 2 7600GT's in full speed SLi (2x PCIex16) be?

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th July, 2006, 11:30 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Not that easy. Some games are suited to some cards. Some like lots of video RAM, some like fast video RAM.

That's why usually on benchmarks they test about a dozen different games. I know that the Doom 3 engine likes nVidia, while Source tends to prefer ATi.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2006, 11:35 AM
Curveball Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Mahjong. Champion, Virus 2 Champion, King of the Hill Champion, Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion, Zelda Champion

There's a helpful list here.

Most cards are on there.<!-- <br />
=== The following is an automatically generated message ===

This is phatic's first post. The Welcome thread is here. Please drop by the Welcome thread and give phatic a warm AOA welcome there. -->
Old 30th July, 2006, 01:11 PM
Steve Jobs

The basic blanket statement would be ATI have an edge on windows computers running Direct X. If you use OpenGL, or any OS other than Windows XP/2K, Nvidia has a considerable advantage.

At a price for performance level, the 7600 series is unbelievably good. It really does beat everything in the competition by a large margin, mainly because the X1600 is rubbish. At the upper end, the X1900 is a superior card to the 7900 series, as long as the condition above is true.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 30th July, 2006, 09:26 PM
Member/Contributer

Thanks guys, prior to the 7xxx and the Xxxx series I could tell, now I can barely tell which ones in one brand are better let alone comparing 2 brands.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H