AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd August, 2006, 02:23 AM

PSU consumption for 6800 Ultra AGP

I apologize if this has been asked before.

I'm getting a eVGA 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR3, I read somewhere that it is not advisable to daisy chain the two molex connectors to one power rail. It this true?

I currently have two 8 mm fans (intake and exhaust), 1 CD-bracket fan (with 3 mini fans), 1 SATA WD 120 GB HD, 1 DVD Rom, Audigy 2, Intel 478 2.8 GHz 800 FSB with Master Cooler CPU cooler, Asus P4P 800 SE mobo and 1.5 GB Kingston DDR RAM. All the power rails have been used up and it looks like I have to either buy more power rail cables or daisy chain the fans and HD/DVD Rom. Please advise.

Oh, I'm running an Enermax Liberty 500 watt PSU.
Old 23rd August, 2006, 08:35 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

heres my take.....a 6800gt clocked at 400/1100 is the same as a 6800ultra....a 6800gt only has one molex and near enough the same power draw...I cant see that it would hurt as you have a fairly decent PSU and the current involved shouldn't be enough to frag the cable.

If I were in your shoes I would put them on the same cable, although I take no responsibility if it goes wrong

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd August, 2006, 10:35 AM
Steve Jobs

The PWM hardware on 6800Us and 6800GTs is completely different, and a 6800GT at ultra speeds is still lower power than a 6800 Ultra due to the voltages, fans, and regulators being different. If you can, use two seperate rails. Really, you should. Above all do not use one of those splitters. The splitters have destroyed many, many cards, as they are very rarely close to mechanically sound, and if one slips loose, or loses its connection during use, expensiveness will ensue.

Only connect actual PSU connectors from your PSU to it. No adapters, no extensions, no piggy backs, no splitters.

Secondly, if you use only one rail for it, make sure absolutely nothing else is on that rail from the PSU. Keep everything else completely seperate, that includes, CCFLs, Neons, fans, hard disks, optical drives, audigy/live drives, floppys, and everything else. Keep the GPU isolated.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 23rd August, 2006 at 10:36 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd August, 2006, 11:15 AM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Trust me putting everything on seperate cables is a much better idea, i used to get lock ups because i had my two hard drives sharing one line so i changed them so they each had a seperate line and now they work perfectly.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home

Last edited by Got EpOx; 23rd August, 2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 23rd August, 2006, 03:29 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

I'm fairly sure that the difference in power draw between the GT and the Ultra at 400/1100 (around 10-15W) would not be enought that it would affect this situation, I could understand if the PSU was a cheapo with rubbish thin wires which is more than likely why the card has the two connectors, but I can't see that the small extra load is going to hurt in this situation.

But in regards to the splitters as DSIO said they suck royally and should also be avoided with hard drives and GPU's alike.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah

Last edited by MONKEYMAN; 23rd August, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 24th August, 2006, 02:03 AM

OK, thanks for the advise guys.

By the way what are normal temps for this card, GPU and ambient?

Last edited by mdk2; 24th August, 2006 at 03:50 AM.