AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th September, 2006, 02:11 PM

MORE G80 Info...

Just found this online...

Description
Earlier today some information regarding the possible specs of nVidia's upcoming G80 based boards surfaced on VR-Zone, only to be "quietly" removed later. Thankfully X-bit labs managed to collect the information on the new cards and we can now present it to you below.

The most important aspect of the leaked documentation are the specs revealed:

- Unified Shader Architecture;
- Support FP16 HDR+MSAA;
- Support GDDR4 memories;
- Close to 700M transistors (G71 - 278M / G70 - 302M);
- New AA mode: VCAA;
- Core clock scalable up to 1.5GHz;
- Shader performance: 2x Pixel/12x Vertex over G71;
- 8 TCPs & 128 stream processors;
- Much more efficient than traditional architecture;
- 384-bit memory interface (256-bit+128-bit);
- 768MB memory size (512MB+256MB)

The unified shader architecture suggests, what the experts have been saying for a while now, that the cards will be support DX10.

According to the same, leaked, information the G80 will surface in November in two varieties, the GeForce 8800 GTX and GeForce 8800 GT priced at a mere USD 649 and USD 449-499 respectively. The GTX model (higher-end) will feature a 384-bit memory interface, a hybrid water and air cooler and 7 TCPs while the GT will have a 320-bit memory interface, a standard air cooler, and 6 TCPs.

No one has actually explained what TCP actually stands for although Techreport has uncovered an nVidia patent which refers to thread control processors. According to the same patent these TCPs will be used to set the function of the unified shader processors.
-Intel E6400 2.13 @ 3.044ghz 380fsb w/ zalman cnps9500-led L626A472
-EVGA 8800gtx
-2 WD caviar se16 250gb raid 0
-OCZ GameXStream 700
-Creative x-fi xtrememusic
-Samsung 226bw "S"
-all on Vista Ultimate...

my 2006 m roadster is still faster though
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th September, 2006, 02:52 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Now I'm confused. I was certain that nVidia said it was not a Unified Shader Core. But would still, obviously, be a DX10 part.

Unified Shaders are not required for DX10 by the way.

1.5GHz Core speed? On 90nM..

Looks tasty either way.

Edit - What thell is up with the random memory size/Bus width. I thought this was going to have 1GB GDDR4.

XBL/PNS = neolad

Last edited by Pitch; 30th September, 2006 at 02:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th September, 2006, 05:03 PM

This was posted in many other forums, a couple I belong too...and I said the exact same thing you did pitch.

I thought Nv told us the G80 was not a USD???

1500mhz core speed - no way.
Old 30th September, 2006, 05:55 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3speed4me
Just found this online...
- Unified Shader Architecture;
- Shader performance: 2x Pixel/12x Vertex over G71;
Aren't these in complete contridiction? If it is Unified, Shader and Vertex performance wouldn't be absolute since the ratio of Pixel:Vertex would be relative to what's being processed.

XBL/PNS = neolad

Last edited by Pitch; 30th September, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 30th September, 2006, 06:21 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Aren't these in complete contridiction? If it is Unified, Shader and Vertex performance wouldn't be absolute since the ratio of Pixel:Vertex would be relative to what's being processed.
Well, really, they've forgone the unified tech, in a way, and still have dedicated pixel and vertex processors, but have added a geometry processor and dispatch controller in front, and an extra ram-buffer on the end that can pass textures back to the front-end so they can post-post process. they've essentialy merged two functional chips onto one package....there was talk of a geometry processor in some nV patents a while back, around DX9 inception time.

the unified part comes from where the links are in that extra buffer, and why we see weird buffer sizes and bus-widths. the 384 is 256 to main buffer and 126bit to the in-line buffer, while the inline gets dropped to 64bit on the GT model. this extra buffer is why we see 4 extra ramchips here...

I was hoping that on the ATI card we would see the silicon buffer that the Xenos features, but it remains to be seen how ATI has implemented thier tech
Old 30th September, 2006, 06:43 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
but have added a geometry processor and dispatch controller in front, and an extra ram-buffer on the end that can pass textures back to the front-end so they can post-post process.
Giving them similer functionality to the Ringbus I take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
the unified part comes from where the links are in that extra buffer, and why we see weird buffer sizes and bus-widths. the 384 is 256 to main buffer and 126bit to the in-line buffer, while the inline gets dropped to 64bit on the GT model. this extra buffer is why we see 4 extra ramchips here...
Now that's an interesting workaround!

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 6th October, 2006, 01:44 PM
Breakout Champion

Here is a link to the whole story with all the details...........it looks like it will be awesome, i cant wait!!!!! http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4441

The 8800 GTX will come with 128 Unified Shaders clocked at 1350mhz. The lesser card is not the GT, it is the GTS, a monicker which hasnt been used since the Gforce 2 days. These cards are due to hit the stores the second week of November.....so start saving your money boys.
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin

Last edited by NarkotikBuzz; 6th October, 2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 6th October, 2006, 02:54 PM

Seems like i wasn't far off. i wonder abt the GTS unit tho...should be much slower than the gtx.
Old 6th October, 2006, 04:42 PM

As if we dont have enough letter's in prefixes and suffixes'......Nv had to go and add an S GT(s) now what is that all about???
Old 6th October, 2006, 04:48 PM

i am thinking that there will be less products in thier line-up.
Old 6th October, 2006, 05:05 PM
Breakout Champion

The GTS will not be all that much slower than the GTX, the GTX core is clocked at 575, the GTS is at 500. The GTX will have 768MB of GDDR3 at 900mhz, the GTS will have 640MB at 900mhz....however, on the GTS, the memory interface is reduced to 320 bit and overall memory bandwidth is 64GB/sec. It also has fewer unified shaders, 96 clocked at 1200mhz.
The GTX on the other hand has a memory interface of 384 bit and 86GB/sec of memory bandwidth. The GTX also has 128 unified shaders clocked at 1350. Overall, the differences are not all that drastic, but i have still not seen anything confirmed about the prices of these cards, or how well they are expected to overclock.
On another note the power consumption of these things is monstrous. They recommend that you have a 400w PSU for a single card setup, and for a SLI setup they recommend an 800w PSU, as the GTX model has 2 power connectors on it, so it will be consuming ALOT of power, and i am sure it will produce alot of heat as well.
Either way, its nice to see that the DirectX 10 cards are finnaly starting to hit the market. I am really interested to see what comes in the months following the release of these cards.
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Old 6th October, 2006, 09:48 PM

will my 7800GTX water cooler work on it?
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 6th October, 2006, 11:02 PM
AOA Staff

Probably not.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 7th October, 2006, 03:41 AM
Steve Jobs

I'm figuring around the $950-1250 mark for the GTX (australian dollars). Currently have set aside $2100 for the GTX, an Enermax Liberty 620, A Conroe E6600, and whichever Conroe board is out at the time that isn't a steaming pile of crap.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 7th October, 2006, 05:10 AM

Liberty won't cut it. Wouldn't power my Crossfire/A64 rig...that's why it ended up in the wife's machine. I can only imagine that these cards will consume as much, if not more, that a current Crossfire/SLi rig, more because the gpu will be idle less than current configs, than any other reason.

Last edited by cadaveca; 7th October, 2006 at 05:11 AM.
Old 7th October, 2006, 06:13 AM
Steve Jobs

They require a 450W unit, I'm going to use a 620W unit... there's nothing wrong with that.

If I need any more than that, I'll use a car battery on charge.

Also given the fact that your Liberty burst into flames within a short period of use, I don't think we'll be using your particular Liberty as a basis for comparison
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 7th October, 2006 at 07:02 AM.
Old 7th October, 2006, 06:57 PM

You've got a good point.