AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th March, 2002, 04:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dead_Broke

Question new guy, needs some help

I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now and I realized this is a great place to get real info and not be blasted for being a "n00b"

I've got a Soyo Dragon + mobo, an XP 1600+ and a Pine GF2 MX400.

I realized recently that I'll soon have to upgrade my video card. I was thinking about a GeForce3 Ti, and money plays a small part in my decision. All of the choices around are confusing as ever. Could anybody help me out with which type of card I should chose?

(On a side note, I have a 300w PSU. Any hints on what type of PSU I should move to? Noise is not a factor.)
Old 17th March, 2002, 04:27 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Re: new guy, needs some help

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Broke
(On a side note, I have a 300w PSU. Any hints on what type of PSU I should move to? Noise is not a factor.)
I can't help much on video... it really depends on what you want to use it for, and how much you're willing to bleed for it.

For PSU, if you don't have any problems, and are not adding components, leave the PSU in. A quality 300w should be enough to handle a basic AMD package, (ie. no extra drives.. 1 hdd, 1 dvd). For overclocking or if you are using lots of drives and/or other peripherals, a good 350-400w may be in order.
Old 17th March, 2002, 06:04 AM
Banned

I still argue that the Radeon 8500 is best dollar for dollar card. It crushes the stock GF3 Ti200 and only costs a few dollars more.

It you insist on Nvidia, then the GF3 Ti200 is the current best price performer.

If you've found a need to upgrade, like a game isn't playing well, then go for it. If you just "feel" left behind, continue waiting until there is a game you want that won't play with your current setup.
Old 17th March, 2002, 07:04 AM

With Vid card it's like they said , unless you want to keep up with the Jones's.

In my MSI set up running @ 150 FSB is a "eVGA 32 MB, AGP 4X, nVidia GeForce2 32mb MX200" and another one on the way to replace this POS ATi 128 junk much over 133 fsb and the screen has a nice light show.

With a PS watch your 5vRail, you dont want to much below 4.88.
If it's not choking just watch.
Attached Thumbnails
new guy, needs some help-5v-rail.gif  
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th March, 2002, 08:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

I would say go for the ati radeon 8500 as well. it's a top notch card, and still fairly cheap, and they finally have decent drivers.