AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st December, 2006, 06:09 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Arrow Looking for an .mp3 player

Righty, I am looking for a decent .mp3 player, but I need it to be able to do a few things.

First off, it needs to be able to play .mp3 .wma and .m4a

Second it should have a long (10hr+) battery life

Third I want it to be really easy to use on the move.

Fourth it must fit in my pocket.

I'm really at a loss here, as I can't seem to find any decent players that will play all three formats, and I can't find a free program to re-encode my .m4a to .mp3 without losing some of the quality, which is very annoying.

Muchas gratias for any recommendations you can make!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Last edited by Favu; 1st December, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd December, 2006, 05:28 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I have been looking at the ubiquitous iPod, seems to do everything but the .wma I don't know if there is any lossless way to convert .wma to .mp3 though. Also they tend to scratch up pretty damn easily.

Anyone have any ideas?

8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd December, 2006, 06:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I've read that Ipod sound quality is poor, in this very same Forum.
Old 2nd December, 2006, 06:58 PM
AOA's resident barman

I dunno, I heared that too, but apparently it is more due to the headphones, since I was planning on picking up some nice sennheisers anyway I don't think it should be too much of an issue

One other player I have always wanted to own was the iRiver H320 / H340 but they seem to be discontinued now, which is a damn shame.

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 4th July, 2007, 02:06 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Kinda late to respond, but perhaps others will find this useful.

MediaCoder is a free program that will transcode .m4a to .mp3. It can be found at:

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

MediaCoder will also transcode a lot of other stuff. It can suck out the sound on a .avi and transcode it to .mp3. It can transcode videos to fit iPod Video. It can transcode .wma, .flac, and .ape to .mp3 or back and forth between any of those formats.

BTW, iPods having poor sound quality is indeed a headphone issue. The headphones sound a little tinny with almost no bass. The thing is though, I don't think iPods are really geared for audiophile types who care whether they can hear the cymbals crashing at 22khz. iPods, especially the small ones like the Nano and the Shuffle, are for quick and dirty listening like if you're at the gym or going for a jog. Furthermore, most people encode their music at 128Kbps which will lose quite a bit of quality. To be honest though, even on high end speakers, unless you're listening to opera, it's hard to tell the difference between something like 128Kbps and 192Kbps, and even then I can't really tell. A while back I saw a cold listening test among audiophiles and more than half couldn't tell 128Kbps .mp3 encoded music to a real CD. I know though, there are audio guys out there who won't listen to anything but .flac and .ape or 320Kbps .mp3.

BTW, I had a Nano, for two weeks. My friend gave me one he got for free for opening a brokerage account. I gave it back to him after I got a Shuffle. The problem with it is carrying it. I felt like a dork carrying it around my neck. The armband thing was a bit better, but it was uncomfortable as hell and every now and then, the earphone would fall out if I moved my arm too quickly. I personally think the Shuffle is the best one out there now. It's tiny, and it comes with its own clip so you don't need any accessories. It doesn't have a screen, but that's no big deal. I think the big iPods are best for cars or for listening on a home stereo. Those are just too big and heavy to be carried around on a regular basis. Anyway, that's just my opinion and I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but so far, that's been my experience with iPods.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 4th July, 2007, 03:45 PM
AOA Staff

I suspect Apple supplies tinny headphones with iPods, to cover their asses should you go deaf from prolonged listening. Use 3rd party earphones, and it's no longer Apple's problem.
Old 4th July, 2007, 04:31 PM
Steve Jobs

Sennheiser CX300s make iPods sound fairly decent, but then they tend to make anything sound decent. Creative do tend to make some decent sounding players, I was particularly impressed by a Nomad Zen Touch recently.

The choice is out there, its best listen to a few before spending I guess. But yea, don't use OEM earbuds, they're always rot.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 4th July, 2007, 11:20 PM
AOA's resident barman

Well in the end I spent my hard-earned on other things, rather than an mp3 player. I do believe that iRiver ship their players with Sennheiser headphones though. Or at least they used to.

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 5th July, 2007, 01:15 AM
Steve Jobs

Das ist good. Der Deutsche maketh a wunderbar earspeaker.

Thats my best, non-babelfish assisted attempt at German. Love my Sennheisers
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 5th July, 2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Sennheiser CX300s make iPods sound fairly decent, but then they tend to make anything sound decent. Creative do tend to make some decent sounding players, I was particularly impressed by a Nomad Zen Touch recently.

The choice is out there, its best listen to a few before spending I guess. But yea, don't use OEM earbuds, they're always rot.
On your reccomendation, I bought a pair of these for the princely sum of £3 ($6) off Amazon.co.uk.
Should get them today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 5th July, 2007, 09:37 AM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-Isolat...624439&sr=1-21

lol!

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 5th July, 2007, 10:12 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
On your reccomendation, I bought a pair of these for the princely sum of £3 ($6) off Amazon.co.uk.
Should get them today.
RRP is about $80US, sounds a bit odd at that price.

and those are actually the el cheapo end of pro grade IEMs. One of my Audiophile mates had a set custom molded to his ear canals, Ultimate Ears UE-10s. The mates rates price he got was about the same as a used Porsche.

Best headphone/earbud guide ever: http://headphonereviews.org/

its a people based rating system, and very accurate.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 5th July, 2007, 02:44 PM

I just got them today and their definately CX300s! Really good too. I'm thoroughly impressed. They sell for $40ish on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk for about £15. However, if you go through the marketplace like I did, they can be nabbed for under £10.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 5th July, 2007, 05:37 PM
AOA Staff

iPod Shuffle 1GB refurb for £34.99:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/2795/2/
Old 14th July, 2007, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Prod...o.aspx?ID=1210

got one of these for like 10 bucks and works great

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097
Old 14th July, 2007, 09:46 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
I just got them today and their definately CX300s! Really good too. I'm thoroughly impressed. They sell for $40ish on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk for about £15. However, if you go through the marketplace like I did, they can be nabbed for under £10.
There are fake CX300s doing the rounds on eBay and Amazon market place.

http://www.iaudiophile.net/e107_imag...fake_cx300.jpg

Last edited by danrok; 14th July, 2007 at 09:51 PM.